SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Actually the site is an Air Force base. From what I hear on sccaforums.com, the base personel kicked everyone off the site until today.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I was there.
I got the news just prior to starting my work assignment for the second heat. I was helping out a fellow Cal Club member who was running his RX7 in the BP Class (which he won by the way) He got a call from his father and I learned of the tragic event.

I worked the front gate and we were soon joined by a MTA police officer and were instructed that from this point on only those with SCCA membership cards would be allowed in.

Soon we were joined by Air National Guards and things were looking very bad. I worked the gate with Guy Ankeny (a very well known preparer of Autox cars) who was very stressed and wanted to even check the ID's of Air National Guards personel who were coming in to report.

After doing the mid day course walk (I was scheduled to run in the 5th heat) we were informed that we had 2 hours to get off the base including all of our gear. My co-driver and I tried to collect all the info that we could. The SCCA informed us that we would get the info on the continuation of the event at the Wens night banquet. We talked to several officals of the SCCA who really did not offer any new info.

As you know I was going to the Nationals of a shoe string budget which was why I was running in STS instead of E Stock.

We went to the Plaza Center where the SCCA headquarters were and found out that the Base had been activated and was going on full alert. We stuck around there for 2 hours trying to determine our best course of action.

After much hand wringing and going back and forth we decided that the event wasn't going to go forward and we could save a fair amount of money by returning home at that time. Obviously we made the wrong decision and I feel bad about driving over 3200 miles and not being able to compete.

I know that it was unlikely that we would have finished very high in the standings with a stock SE-R in STS. But I wanted to show what I could do and I still think I would have had a very respectable result. So it was a very tough decision to return and we would not have if we had gotten any indication from the SCCA that the event was going to be held. If they would have just come out with a statement that they were trying to work out a solution to hold the event it would have been enough for us and we would have stayed. We listened to the radio stations from Topeka for as long as we could and there was still no indication of any hope. We had to pay a gas gouger 2.69 per gallon for 88 octance gas and saw another station which was charging $5.00 for premium which we had just bought from them the day before for 1.89. We waited in a line over 8 cars long just to get gas.

After driving straight back and spending 24 hours with my butt planted in the seat of an SE-R I logged on and found out that we should have stayed. I am very disapointed that my first experience at the Nationals had ended this way. But I realize that my loss is nothing in comparison to the loss of lives that has happened in this barbaric attack on our country. And this will not stop me from planning on next years nationals where I will be much more prepared and if I don't win it won't be because my car and my finances. We all must show that they can't win by getting us down and that we will bounce back stonger than ever.

I hope you all won't think less of me by my decision to return, because I am going to count on you to help me get ready for next year.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Wow man, sorry to hear of your time, absolutely no one can say that you don't "try hard". Better luck next year, and I'm sure we'll be in a better situation by then, that or completely gone

late,
wes

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trys_Hard:
After much hand wringing and going back and forth we decided that the event wasn't going to go forward and we could save a fair amount of money by returning home at that time
</font>
Hey Art, sorry we never had a chance to even meet! I did get your note, and saw your car a few times.

Maybe next year?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
We had to pay a gas gouger 2.69 per gallon for 88 octance gas and saw another station which was charging $5.00 for premium
</font>
I don't know if you've heard yet but the governer of Kansas put on a $10K/day fine for any station that raised their prices more than $.15. I too heard about the $5.00 prices, but they were apparantly back to normal within a few hours.

I hope you at least had a chance to meet lots of new people and got to see some racing, even if you didn't compete yourself.

Somehow I wished I hadn't given it a go myself....

-Larry
20th/27 in ES
'96 SE-R with a "Chip"

·
Registered
708 Posts
Larry,
I'm also sorry we didn't get to meet also.
I did meet Pat (SLOWSER) and was happy to see he got a medal in DSP.

Your car looks cool with all those SERCA stickers all over it.

Considering that Priebe left also I might have had a chance to medal also, but there is always next year when my car should be fully prepped for STS.

I was really looking forward to it since just before I left I put in the ST rear sway bar and ran in a San Diego Autocross and won by over a second.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts