SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who's going this year? I'll be there, I'm going to run STS.

------------------
Art R.
1992 Sentra SE-R
SCCA Solo II Driver
Cal Club #823 E Stock

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I'll be there running DSP Tues-Wed.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
You know I'll be there Art.

Too bad I already have a co-driver. It would've been pretty cool to have another SERCA person in the car.

I still think you should run ES, and not STS. You don't want to run STS. Have you seen how fast those guys are this year? Jack Burns (Subaru 2.5RS) has been equalling Jeff Cashmore's times (2000 National champ in his Celica) at CenDiv events this year! STS is pretty tough at that level.

ES is the place to be. =)

-LM
#196 ES

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERCA96:
You know I'll be there Art.

Too bad I already have a co-driver. It would've been pretty cool to have another SERCA person in the car.

I still think you should run ES, and not STS. You don't want to run STS. Have you seen how fast those guys are this year? Jack Burns (Subaru 2.5RS) has been equalling Jeff Cashmore's times (2000 National champ in his Celica) at CenDiv events this year! STS is pretty tough at that level.

ES is the place to be. =)

-LM
#196 ES
</font>
I want to run ES but I'm on a slim budget this year. I have already gone through 3 sets of race tires this year and forking out the money for another set is just not in the works. I may change my mind if I can get somebody to buy my Eagle Talon before then.

Plus I have a secret weapon this year in the new Falken Azenis tires. I firmly believe that they are at least a 1.5 sec advantage over any other street tire. And since this is my first year I'm just going for the experience. Plus I got a co-driver to help with the cost and driving and the Tues Wens days that STS runs fits more into our schedule. I figure I can do the nationals this year on $303 plus food. I will invest in a new rear sway bar before I go to help a little. But like I said with the number of cars in STS a 15th finish may get me some hardware!

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I agree that STS is tough. I autocrossed against Brian Priebe (Subaru 2.5 RS) last weekend at our local event (Subaru paid him to come here...go figure...tuneup for next weekend). Priebe is expected to be in the hunt for the top spot in STS at Topeka this year.
His car, and he, are fast. And quick.

Our local STS group was getting so tough, I actually caught a break by installing a MSD Digital 6 on my car.

It moved me into Street Mod, away from the firestorm that was STS.

SM is expected to get that way in the coming 2 years. So, I've got some lead time...

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'll be there, I'm going to run STS.</font>
Good f-ing luck!!

Actually I think a well preped Classic might be somewhat competetive in STS. Wish they had a no 4wd rule

But if you show up in a basiclly stock SE-R and trophy in STS, I will bow to your vastly superior driving ability.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trys_Hard:
Plus I have a secret weapon this year in the new Falken Azenis tires
But like I said with the number of cars in STS a 15th finish may get me some hardware!
</font>
Uh... What tires do you think Jack Burns will be on? Yup. Falkens. Oh, and 15th in STS will still be top prepped cars. That class is becoming a hot place to be with that Subaru and BFG money available.

I would go with the goal of not finishing last. =) That was my goal at my first Nationals ('98), and I barely did that.

My goal last year was to finish in the top 1/2, and I barely did that. This year my goal is to finish top ten, or trophy.

We'll see.

-Larry M.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Larry,
I will be happy not to finish last and I have a good chance because my co-driver will be driving my car only for the second time at the nationals and he normally drives a CRX. I am some what of an optimist but I really don't expect to bring home anything. But since I just started in Jan and this will be my first Nationals I expect to bring home a heap of experience.

But of course in January people were telling me not to expect to win any events in your first year and be happy if your within 5 sec of the leaders. I already have 4 first and at least 6 very close seconds (less than 1 sec) places already this year. I'm solidly in second place in the points standings and if the leader got sick for one event I might come in first. And I compete in two very tough regions in LA and San Diego.

We'll just have to see how it goes, if I get creamed well my ego needs a little trim anyway!

·
202 Posts
I will be happy not to finish last and I have a good chance because my co-driver will be driving my car only for the second time at the nationals and he normally drives a CRX. </font>
Good idea, always bring someone along who's not as good as you are. =) I didn't take my own advice however, since Jean Kinser-Dana is going to be driving my car at Nationals. Talk about an ego killer...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
We'll just have to see how it goes, if I get creamed well my ego needs a little trim anyway!
</font>
I like your attitude. =)

[This message has been edited by SERCA96 (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
i'll be there, but i'm not going to run. i can't afford a set of slicks i'm going to burn up there, and i suck driving as it is. i'm only going to be there during the weekend though (watching the pro solo guys) because i have school to deal with. i'll bring the wrecked sentra, you really can't miss it.

------------------

representing the plains with a slammed in door, but loud and fast, 1991 nissan sentra se-r, and now a sweet looking silver 1988 toyota celica gt-s with more show than go.

·
Registered
496 Posts
So who's going this year? I'll be there, I'm going to run STS.

</font>
I'll be there in G Stock=WRX Turbo..

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
gpser96: tell me how you do, and if you could, let me know how a guy named derek butts does in an IS300. this guy has been ungodly fast locally, i'm curious to see how he does nationally. I've run a WRX twice in autocrosses, they're fun cars but harder to drive than my NX imo..

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
gpser96: tell me how you do, and if you could, let me know how a guy named derek butts does in an IS300. this guy has been ungodly fast locally, i'm curious to see how he does nationally. I've run a WRX twice in autocrosses, they're fun cars but harder to drive than my NX imo..</font>
Will he be running his IS300? I could have swarn I read in the SportsCar magazine that he was picked as one of the favorites to win A-Stock in his MR2 Turbo.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I thought I saw him listed running GS in the IS300 on the ba-autox list. Either way he's a rediculously fast driver. I want to ride with him sometime.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gpser96:
I'll be there in G Stock=WRX Turbo..
</font>
It's my turn to say this: You traitor!!

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after our Nationals Test and Tune in which I was only .3 sec off of Dan Maloney's time, I think I might have a chance to place in the top half of STS in Topeka. To help make up that .3 sec I've added a ST rear Sway bar (Sweet!) and have disconnected my AC. Got some shaved Falkens and some full tread one's in case it rains. Hopefully I can meet up with everyone in Topeka and we can have an SE-R rooting section. I can't believe the difference the rear sway bar makes! The car now turns like it's a slot car but it's not terribly tail happy.

Good Luck everyone see you in Topeka!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts