SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for the people that don't subscribe, there is a test drive of the new Se-R in the new issuse of SCC. It seems as though the staff loved it.

------------------
'95 200sx Se-R Stillen Exhaust, Weapon R adapter intake, 17" Chrome w/ Nitto NT 555, Arospeed Adjustable coilovers

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Yeah just got mine today. The staff seem to be very impressed with the handling and it's grip. I love the pic. on page 62, Can you say Wheel lift!!!!!!
Darren

------------------
91 Classic running 9.6's in 1/8 W/ Header& PR CAI

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
But did you notice the specs. It states 180HP in SCC. Again toying with our minds. Maybe? I think so.

I think SCC wrote the article before Nissan robbed us of 5HP on the final production car.

www.nissandriven.com has this to say:

• SE-R Spec V: 175-hp 2.5-liter 16-valve DOHC 4-cylinder engine, 6-speed manual transmission, helical limited-slip front differential and special sport bucket seats
• SE-R: 165-hp 2.5-liter 16-valve DOHC 4-cylinder engine and 5-speed manual transmission (4-speed automatic transmission also available)

Any insider input on this?

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees)

M

·
0 Posts
who cares about 5 hp. They prob. changed the exhaust or throttle body or something. The first thing i'm going to do when I buy mine in Nov. is get that 5 hp (prob. much more) right back w/ a custom exhaust and K&N filter upgrade. I just wonder if the suspension upgrades Stillen makes now for the SE will work w/ the SE-R?

------------------

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
The staff questioned the low redline on the car. If the car makes most of its power at 6k and the redline is 6100-6200, then how in the hell are you going to stay in the meat of the power band. I know you have lots of torque, but don't you have to shift past 6K to fall back into the meat of the curve. In the sr20de the redline is 7100, but most of the power comes at 6400. You have 700 rpm to rev beyond 6400 and this makes you fall back into the meat of the curve. You cannot do that with the QR25DE engine.

I wish Mike K. was able to convince Nissan to raise the redline to 6500. That would have been much better.

The staff also did not like the 2mm toe-in on the rear beam. That reduced the crisp turn in. The up side is that the car can be trail braked late into a corner w/o oversteer. Seems like the same problem that 200SX SE-Rs have.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Keep in mind there is a 6-speed in the spec-V which means you're not gonna drop as many revs shifting.

About the low redline and rear beam.. well the car is still an economy car, based on the current Sentra. You wanted them to build you a custom racecar? Fact is this car will be extremely fast for the money.

·
Registered
862 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:

About the low redline and rear beam.. well the car is still an economy car, based on the current Sentra.
</font>
I don't see how it being an economy car has anything to do with it being saddled with a 6100 rpm redline. The Classic and the 200SX were both economy cars too.

·
Registered
723 Posts
well, maybe the car builds alot of power near the hp peak... and falls of quite quickly after that.

you'll never know unless you see the dyno

btw, my sr20de redlines at 7500rpm

·
VE powered
556 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
In the sr20de the redline is 7100, but most of the power comes at 6400. You have 700 rpm to rev beyond 6400 and this makes you fall back into the meat of the curve.
</font>
Another reason why b13s are better!
If nothing else a good reason to get a JWT ECU and raise the redline to 7700.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I wish Mike K. was able to convince Nissan to raise the redline to 6500. That would have been much better.
</font>
When I talked to Mike at the convention he said the pre-production vehicles had 6500 rpm redlines and didn't see that changing once the car went into regular production.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The staff also did not like the 2mm toe-in on the rear beam.</font>
This sucks. Maybe a Hype R is in my future afterall.

·
VE powered
556 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lyn Labahn:
I am willing to bet that the redline has a lot to do with emissions and fuel economy.</font>
That's what I thought, too. However, I believe Mike K. said it had more to do with pre-mature wear of the valve train. Of course, if you read the SCC article on the QR25DE the engineer wanted a 7500 rpm redline. I guess the accountants won out again!

Steve

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
Keep in mind there is a 6-speed in the spec-V which means you're not gonna drop as many revs shifting.</font>
To your credit, the testers did mention that the 6 speed kept the engine humming along. But it is still a problem even with a 6 speed. The short redline does spoil the fun. Just think about it. Most of the power is at 6K and then boom you hit the rev limiter. Not so with the 200SX and Classic.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">About the low redline and rear beam.. well the car is still an economy car, based on the current Sentra. You wanted them to build you a custom racecar? Fact is this car will be extremely fast for the money.</font>
I have no beef with the rear beam. I have one on my 200SX
But I have a problem with the redline. Both 200SX and Classics had a higher redline and they are both economy cars.

As for the money part. The car will START at 19K. Add options and the car will go past 20K real fast. Not so cheap imho.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
nj1266 stated:
But I have a problem with the redline. Both 200SX and Classics had a higher redline and they are both economy cars.

Hey, don't forget the G20's. '91-'96 G20's have the 7500 redline also.

------------------
Brandon

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When I talked to Mike at the convention he said the pre-production vehicles had 6500 rpm redlines and didn't see that changing once the car went into regular production.</font>
Well Mike has told me in private that he was concerned about the redline. When he told me 6K, I freeked. I told him to impress upon the bean counters the importance of at least a 6500 redline in a sports sedan. Apparently he did not succeed. The redline will be around 6200.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This sucks. Maybe a Hype R is in my future afterall.</font>
Toe-in can be used to your advantage on a road course. I have managed to do just that with 3/16 inch toe-in on my 200SX. I brake very late and I push hard into corners. The drivers in front of me keep pushing, but they do not have toe-in and they overstear. I have done it to so many Classics and other faster cars as well

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But did you notice the specs. It states 180HP in SCC. Again toying with our minds. Maybe? I think so.</font>
Sorry for the post, just testing the "QUOTE" thingy!!!

------------------
Brandon

·
Registered
862 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
well, maybe the car builds alot of power near the hp peak... and falls of quite quickly after that.
</font>
Yeah, the power falls off REAL quickly after the peak, because that rev limiter is going to slam in!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
btw, my sr20de redlines at 7500rpm
</font>
Oh yeah? Mine redlines at 7700rpm

[This message has been edited by Dan_93SER (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
448 Posts
</font>
7500rpm is an ECU reprom and valvespring change away. This was stated by one of the chief engineers in the original QR25 write ups.

It was stated that the lower redline is because of a "low mass/resistence valvtrain" I.E. soft springs.

It was also stated that the motor would take 8000rpm without worry.

Read it for yourself in the original B15 SE-R write up in SCC.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:
7500rpm is an ECU reprom and valvespring change away. This was stated by one of the chief engineers in the original QR25 write ups.

It was stated that the lower redline is because of a "low mass/resistence valvtrain" I.E. soft springs.

It was also stated that the motor would take 8000rpm without worry.

Read it for yourself in the original B15 SE-R write up in SCC.

</font>
I know all this, Jay. But we are talking about the car stock. The original SE-R did not come with these "limitations." You could keep it stock and enjoy a high rev limiter and speed limiter. Even the B14 has a better stock rev limiter than the new SE-R. A 6200 rev limit when the peak power is at 6000 will be a major irritation with this car.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
Registered
448 Posts
The original SE-R did not come with these "limitations." You could keep it stock and enjoy a high rev limiter and speed limiter. Even the B14 has a better stock rev limiter than the new SE-R. A 6200 rev limit when the peak power is at 6000 will be a major irritation with this car.
</font>
So what, really. Who cares. It's the potential I'm after. Cars are built not bought.

------------------
Jay Hassinger
B14 Turbo 409whp (Sold)
91 TSi 11.80's for under 5 grand including the car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts