SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
WASHED UP
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it only has 141 hp to the wheels:( WTF how come.. 175 hp becomes 141 hp according to SCC ..IMO nothing will be better than the sr20de...

·
Registered
756 Posts
As posted to the main list...... a local guy just got his hands on a Spec V 151.5hp/161tq. Not a SE-R owner, just a guy who used to run a dyno shop and somehow got ahold of the car.

C

·
0 Posts
I have no idea why this car got so much hype, it only costs $16,999 for God's sake.

Now I just got my Dec. SCC today so I thought I'd post some things I picked up in the article. The fact that all the cars they tested were pre-production models goes without saying, the SE-Rs just started coming out of the factory last week while this article was written two months ago. While they have tested 5 cars, these tests took place over the past year. Each car at a different stage in the SE-R's development. They acctualy only speak of three cars in the article, with the first two being pre-production models that were fitted with "engineering trial" parts, or parts still under development so they really have no relevance.

The third car they drove was said to be "production ready" and this is the car they got their test numbers from. They go on to say about this car that it "produced the most inconsistent dyno numbers [they've] ever seen." Obviously there was something bogus with that car and I'm surprised they choose to even post the performance and dyno numbers for it. They even mention all the "production ready" cars Nissan gave them had different suspension calibrations and therefore the cars were clearly still being developet.

They then go on to say:

Here's what we no for sure: As of this writing, the new SE-R impresses us on several levels. First, despite the varied suspension calibrations, all the cars we've driven have exhibited impressive grip. Our most recent test car produced a respectable .84g on the skidpad and zipped through the slalom at 67.6mph--exactly as quick as the last Integra Type-R we tested. Second, the new car is quick up any steep, twisty mountain road. So quick, in fact, it bested Acura's RSX in an impromptu run to the top of our favorite local hillclimb. Credit goes to the close gears, big rubber and very necessary helical limited-slip differential for that feat.
Their last paragrpah I find strange, it's contridictory and seems like they went out of their way to slam the car:

If all goes as planned, the new SE-R will go on sale about the time you read this. We don't know if Nissan will find any power in the SE-R's QR25 powerplant before then, but one thing is for sure: Dr. Korpi won't be buying one
They state that it's a sure thing Dr. Korpi won't be buying one (because the SE-R's they tested two months prior to release didn't perform to Nissan's claims), but also say in the very same sentence that they are clueless as to if Nissan will be able to make the SE-R's engine properly perform in the time between when it acctualy goes on sale and from when they tested their pre-production models, and therefore would be something Dr. Korpi would hypotheticly buy.

You see what I'm saying? They seem to make a statement of definitiveness condeming the car while also saying that in the two months that follow they have no idea whether or not the cars sold at dealerships will perform the same as the one they tested.

*Shrug*

As for me, I'll just wait untill I see what one bought from a dealership runs at the track before I slam a car because of how it performed while in still development. I'm acctualy hoping the SE-Rs that start arriving at dealerships in next month perform to what Nissan claimed just so Sport Compact Car will have to eat their words.

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
how about the times?

Ok, how do you guy explain the 0 - 60 (7.8) and 1/4 mile(15.7) times it turned out? Unless I see it running a 15.1, which I think is a reasonable time for the hp claim to weight, then i'm not jumping on the ban wagon.

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Their is only one true REAL SE-R and that would be the CLASSIC 91-94 :D

kesi24 said:
it only has 141 hp to the wheels:( WTF how come.. 175 hp becomes 141 hp according to SCC ..IMO nothing will be better than the sr20de...

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
SCC test article

>Their last paragrpah I find strange, it's contridictory and seems like they went out of their way to slam the car:

I agree that article was a mixed up review. Seems they praised it at times yet slammed it over and over. I don't see why they would even print such a crazy review.
This is one of the worst articles I have read out of SCC. Not because they failed to give the Spec V high ratings, but they just seem to throw the article together because of some deadline from there boss.

:confused:

Darren

·
Registered
723 Posts
ah i wouldn't waste 3 cents to buy that mag to see those people write from their ass. ill reserve judgement until i actually get to drive one :p

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My inspiration to get one has also dropped dramatically!!
First all this hype, then all this bullshit, then more crap, this and that, blah blah blah. **** IT!!
My "Classic" remains supreme!!!!!
(Can't wait to still the shift knob. :D )

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
well, since i don't drive a "classic" or a TRUE SE-R for that matter, i will say this about the new spec v: it has the capability to go over 200 hp (@ the flywheel), w/ a minimal amount of mods. that is something my SE Limited will never be capable of! but i am a firm believer that you cannot comment on a vehicle that you've never driven.

BTW, SmoothDaddy: have you gotten those speakers in yet?

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
One bad 1/4 mile time by a magazine means nothing!!! Some mags got a 15.5 out of the Type R, I've seen 14.7 on them numerous times... another mag saw the S2000 @ 14.9... I've run 14.1's and seen 14.0's plenty of times... yet another mag said the WRX could only run 14.7.... Yet there's been many that have run 14.3-14.4..... magazine times are completely irrelevant to my view of a car... it's not different than if my friend bob who's never driven a manual transmission saying he test drove a Supra and it was slow.

·
Old
744 Posts
You guys still want the Spec V knob even though it's 6 speed? The regular SE-R is 5 speed right? (I honestly forget.) Anyone seen that yet?

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Well it's still a cool looking shift knob, I wouldn't mind having one. I would forget about the 6 speed configuration on it unless you need that to help you shift :D

Chrissy said:
You guys still want the Spec V knob even though it's 6 speed? The regular SE-R is 5 speed right? (I honestly forget.) Anyone seen that yet?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Stiletto said:
i will say this about the new spec v: it has the capability to go over 200 hp (@ the flywheel), w/ a minimal amount of mods.
:confused:

Hmmm....how do you figure this? Unless you know something we don't, it may be somewhat premature to make this claim, considering how new this engine is.

·
Old
744 Posts
PSSSHHHGOESMYSR20 said:
Well it's still a cool looking shift knob, I wouldn't mind having one. I would forget about the 6 speed configuration on it unless you need that to help you shift :D

yeah I want one too, but I figured with everyone calling rice all the time...
The riceboy page might say look at the little nissan, thinks hes a 6 speed...I still want one though. ****! 1st I need a shifter with some threads!:rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts