SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
You're my boy blu!!!!
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just had experience with a product called sea foam. This produst is awsome! I will give you the short and dirty basically you are putting this cleaner in your intake tract of your engine until it stalls. Then you restart it and this whte pungent smoke emitts from the tail pipe, but when the smoke clears there is about a 4 square feet of carbonbuildup on the ground that just came out your engine. you can also use in your fuel and oil. great stuff:D

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
wont that hurt the injectors? I know there was a TSB on the injectors and it said not to use the stuff you put in your gas to clean injectors, but i dont know if that applys to this stuff. Where did you buy it?

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
camoser said:
Hey guys i just had experience with a product called sea foam. This produst is awsome! I will give you the short and dirty basically you are putting this cleaner in your intake tract of your engine until it stalls. Then you restart it and this whte pungent smoke emitts from the tail pipe, but when the smoke clears there is about a 4 square feet of carbonbuildup on the ground that just came out your engine. you can also use in your fuel and oil. great stuff:D
Not to be an ass, but I have taken chemistry and I know enough to question that statement!

the black **** is basically a mix of burnt and not burnt hydrocarbons (yes, like carbon buildup)
BUT.. it could very well be just the crap you put into your engine coming out half burnt...

Just some food for thought..
And to mpg9999: it should not have touched but the tips of the injectors (did not put the stuff in the fuel.. he said he put it into the intake tract) so... probably did not hurt the injectors :)

And, as a side note.. it very well could have been all the crap that builds up inside our intake manifolds (from the smog equipement I assume? I have never seen a JDM sr20[no smog from factory] that was nearly as dirty as my 91 which, was well maintained, and when I got it, there was alot of crap in the intake manifold...)

Could fry your cat with all that crap, too :(

david lau

·
Registered
825 Posts
I just used some of this stuff on my BB SR20DET and it has worked fine so far. I know alot of guys over in the Honda world used and had excelent results. No problems with my car so far

·
Registered
655 Posts
ill try it since i have EGR removed and no cat or anything ill like to see what happens :D

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I've used it in small engines and it does indeed seem to make them run a lot better. It may work well on larger engines also. I don't know whats in it but it does the trick.

·
WWJD
2,092 Posts
What are the benefits of doing this???Is it worth it and how long does the car smoke for????

·
Registered
529 Posts
What about that thing Toyota does where they hook IV looking things to the car and more or less steam clean the inside of the motor?

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Not sure about that, but just run water injection like many of us an you will clean your car everytime you drive it.

Brent

·
Registered
470 Posts
That stuff is very powerful. If you use it I only recommend using 1/2 a can if that. I used to work for Oil Stop, Inc. (http://www.oilstopinc.com/) The only 1 on the east coast besides Tenn. & we ONLY used Seafoam on the 92-96 Toyota Camrys with sludging problems. If you don't have sludging problems, then I do not recommend using it. You should see what happened to cars with no sludging problems when we did use Seafoam. Not recommended. A product less powerful like BG would be much better.

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
resurrecting this thread...I have tried the seafoam treatment once before and it didn't seem to do much....but I decided to try it once more. I administered seafoam to my engine through my brake booster vacuum line and let my car idle for a few minutes, then after about 5 minutes tapped on the gas to raise the idle and see if it would stall or not. All of the sudden it started smoking white like mad like everyone says it should when seafoam is used...
the only thing that baffles me is that the last time I did seafoam my car did not smoke like it did this time.

Also white smoke was coming out of my AIV breather. Is that normal?

Well if it wasnt for seafoam I wouldnt know that I need a new gasket for my downpipe, so even if it doesnt help in any other way at least I know that now.
There was mad smoke from my header to downpipe

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
WOW, how funny I was just talking to a guy from work about this at a BBQ last night. Apparently he used it on tractor engines and other equipment and he said everything they used it on ran considerably better. I wouldnt go dumping it into a race motor or anything but itd be kind of intersting to see if it would help my 160k sr20 run more efficiently...

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
Well...I am about to go start my car again...It says to turn off car and then start back up in 5 minutes...

I will be posting later if seafoam actually does anything for me.

·
Technician @ Toyota
2,852 Posts
Toolapcfan said:
I think I'd rather pull my TB and intake manifold off and clean it by hand.
thats what i did and while i was there i got jdm runners and a sweet powdercoating job. Piece of mind is better for me i dont like to take chances with a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts