SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, fellow classic owners...a question just popped into my head. dunno why it happened just now, but whatever.

for you SE-R drivers with airbag equipped cars, is the seatbelt still mounted on the door? or did they move it to the B pillar.

mmkay, thanks

------------------
1991 Sentra SE-R
Cone intake, NismoBorla Exhaust, 19* timing, 2 12" Kicker Competitions, 125K miles

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
The belts on my '94 are mounted on the door. I don't believe that any classic had them on the b-pillar, and I think that the door-mounted belts are a bit of a pain.

On the other hand, I don't have those bloody motorized belts...

------------------
1994 SE-R Super Black
HS CAI, STB, NX console, 15" rolling stock, more to come...

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea the door mounted ones are a pain...the buckle blows and the belt obstructs peripheral view. but like you said stine, it beats those stinkin motorized belts i have in my 240

------------------
1991 Sentra SE-R
Cone intake, NismoBorla Exhaust, 19* timing, 2 12" Kicker Competitions, 125K miles

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
On the door in my '93. I've shut the latch inbetween my seat and the inner door panel SO many times I lost count.

I don't use that belt any more, as my Corbeau seat mandated getting rid of the factory latch in the center (well, not really. Just made install easier.)

I now use my Autopower harness exclusively when driving my '93

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Stine wrote:
I don't believe that any classic had them on the b-pillar...</font>
Actually, Canadian-market B13s had the belts mounted to the B-pillar. If you remove the B-pillar trim, you'll find the mounting hold and welded-in bolt. To access it, however, you'll need to drill a hole in the trim and use a metal spacer between the inside of the trim and the B-pillar so that when you bolt something to that hole, the trim doesn't get crushed. It's only about a 1/4" space or so.

I have a shoulder harness bar (originally fitted to a 944) mounted to these holes.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
would any nissan dealer in the states have the B pillar setup, or would i have to get it from a canadian one? because if i can, i would get rid of the door seat belt and get a B pillar one. the door one is so annoying!!

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
------------------
146.5hp & 131.6lb-ft torque

Serban's SE-R Page

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Fast91SER askd:
...would i have to get it from a canadian one?</font>
I honestly don't know, as I've not attempted to relo the shoulder belt from the door to the B-pillar. But, here's my guess:

First, you'll need a bolt for the upper belt mount. Source Nissan for this one - my bet is it's a standard belt bolt like the rear belts use. Next, fab a spacer for use between the B-pillar and trim. Third, source an upper shoulder mount, like the rear shoulder belts use, to use on the B-pillar. There, the upper part of the shoulder belt is handled.

Now, for the bootom anchor, I don't know what the stock belt looks like in the door for US models, but I'll bet it's a simple fitting and bolt arrangement like the rear lap belts use. Given that there's a shoulder mount in the chassis for CDN market B13s, I'll bet there's also one for the bottom mount under the carpet or lower B-pillar trim (I haven't looked). It can likely be handled in a similar fashion.

Frankly, I think the idea of this setup is pretty nice and far safer than the door-mount setup that comes stock. The only potential drawback is rigging your belt setup like this will make rear seat access on a 2-door more of a pain.

------------------

·
_______
2,170 Posts
No, you don't have to get the parts from a Canadian dealer. Remember that the NX2000 from the same year as your Classic will have B-pillar mounted belts, so all of that hardware will bolt right in.

Although the B13 Classic (1.6) was sold in Canada, there are no SE-R Classics (2.0) in Canada. Would have made a great sleeper, but Transport Canada doesn't allow them to be imported. The reason? The door-mounted belts. Retro-fitted belts weren't a way around this either. I tried to help someone out who brought one into Canada, but he ended up having to bring it back to the States and resold it. He now has an NX2000.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Why not get a seatbelt from a 200SX? My seatbelt is on the B-pillar, and rear seat access isn't that bad.

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">spnx noted:
...Transport Canada doesn't allow them to be imported. The reason? The door-mounted belts.</font>
Thanks spnx for once again proving that Canadians are, by and large, smarter than Americans. =;-)

------------------

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Well Geez, I don't know about that, but Transport Canada seems dumb. Their reasoning makes NO SENSE.

I really wanted a Classic, too. It would have made a cheap winter beater, and because they were never sold here with the SR20DE, they're a *massive* sleeper

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Bet a 4 door seatbelt would work. dont know if anyone that has done the conversion. plenty of talk tho.

Just remember people with harnesses, you are in a little more danger if you roll or similar accident that would colapse the roof. the harness will not allow you to get lower in the car, so if you roll over you are liable to get really hurt. only way that you should really use a harness is if you have a rollbar or cage.

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">spnx wrote:
...fitted up with exactly the same belts, with the same mounting points as my NX2000...still wouldn't make the Classic acceptible.</font>
Maybe they were just afraid of guys like the ricer in the Off Topic forum fabricating belts out of cardboard? <g>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...let the Saturn be sold here - and it has door-mounted belts.... Just doesn't add up.</font>
In light of that information, I'd have to agree with you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Our fearless moderator, Bowlcut, wrote:
only way that you should really use a harness is if you have a rollbar or cage. </font>
I couldn't agree more - by using a three or four-point harness without an SCCA-approved (i.e., uses a diagonal cross-brace), you may be putting yourself at great risk than by using stock regular belts.

------------------

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
i think as soon as i head back to south FL, i will hit the junk yards and look for an NX, or maybe even a 4dr B13...my next conern is, what would i do about the sensors that lock the belt when the brakes are slammed? i dont want to have a seatbelt that doesnt serve any purpose.

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
------------------
146.5hp & 131.6lb-ft torque

Serban's SE-R Page

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Fast91SER asked:
what would i do about the sensors that lock the belt when the brakes are slammed?</font>
That's a centrifugal mechanism inside the reel assembly itself. It has nothing to do with electronics, car model etc.

In fact, for those running track/autox events without harnesss, you can lock yourself in the seat by reclining it a notch more than usual, put the shoulder belt on, and pull hard & fast on the shoulder belt. That will 'trip' the lock mechanism in the belt. Keep tension on the belt, then bring your seat back to its normal angle. Voila - you're locked in.

------------------

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
hmm...well, thats good then. i have taken off the door panel a few times, and there is at least one connector, i am guessing thats for the seatbelt sensor on the dash??

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Fast91SER asked:
...door panel a few times... thats for the seatbelt sensor on the dash??</font>
Nope - the switch that triggers the dash light for the belts is under each seat. I have no idea what a sensor in the door is.

------------------

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you think that connector in the door is just part of a wiring harness universality thing for a power winder regulator? or power locks even?

just a guess...don't the NX (which can come with power options) and the SE-R use the same wiring harness or not?

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">NismoSER pondered:
you think that connector in the door is just part of a wiring harness universality thing for a power winder regulator? or power locks even?</font>
First, yes, the NX2k used the same harness - at least according to my '91 FSM and wiring diagram.

Second, while I haven't yet looked at the wiring diagram, I think the wiring to the door is for two things: the in-door speaker and the electric mirror.

------------------

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Just so you know I set a good example...

I do have a SCCA & NHRA-approved roll bar in my car.

JUST wanted to make that clear.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., [email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

1 - 20 of 31 Posts