SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone turned left into my lane last friday and I hit them doing $2,500 damage to a $3,000 car. How can get factory parts paid for if the damage is so close to the value...??

Besides that I am pretty down the car. While cherry for the year (92), man these cars are pretty brutalistic. Loud on the highway, misc rattles and plain jane looks. Radio is pathetic. Don't get me wrong sr20's are cool but not close to the end all be all. I'm just losing enthusiasm as car begins to rust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andymainer:
[
Besides that I am pretty down the car. While cherry for the year (92), man these cars are pretty brutalistic. Loud on the highway, misc rattles and plain jane looks. Radio is pathetic. Don't get me wrong sr20's are cool but not close to the end all be all. I'm just losing enthusiasm as car begins to rust. [/B]</font>
Loud on the highway?/Have you driven a Saturn?
Misc. rattles?/ dont have that problem.
Plain looks?/ I love the look.
Shiity radio?/ you still have a stock radio?

------------------
-3x CRX owner
-SE-R mods: "Home Depot" intake
-

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check into that black classic Lance. Since I need a hood I am looking CF or fiberglass. Can't find jack. Only carbonimages has hoods for $550, a little too much. On top of that the other driver's insurance company, Commerical Union, is ducking me so far.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The more they duck you the more your neck hurts- if it's clearly their insured's fault, as it seems here, they'll want to settle quickly. Tell them you can do things the easy way or the hard way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
its a well known statistic that the more time that goes by after an accident the more the claim payout is also if a lawyer gets involved the more the payoff is...so if they are dodging you knowing this info you may be in for a long battle. if your coming out to the midwest i am selling my classic dirt cheap...check the for sale forum.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car- mine was hit from behind a few years ago and had $3,200 worth of damage. New left rear quarter, trucklid, wing, & bumper. The Hartford paid for all new Nissan parts installed at a Nissan dealership (York Nissan in York, PA). Some old geezer drilled me in Gettysburg National Park. Consider taking the money and checking that black '94 out in Bangor if it's still there. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually don't like lending people my cars but out of curiosity I let my dad take my cracked up SE-R to run around today. He knows cars probably better than most and has more experience than the big egos on this board. The generation gap is still there. Funny he said the car is fast and fun but found himself driving in 5th around town. He also said it is loud and buzzy.

------------------
"Oh you got a Sentra, my friend has one of those"

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have to agree with 94_Red.

I have some misc. rattles, but what do you expect from a very inexpensive car that sees a 7500 RPM redline?

The car's loud on the highway because it is geared to rev high in order to make power. Honestly, stock, I didn't think mine was really that loud at all.

I can't really argue about the looks. That's a personal preference. IMO, with a nice set of rims and religious washing and waxing, the car looks beautiful, and at the same time is a major sleeper.

LOL, why the heck would you still be using a stock radio from a 1992 car? I've got a Kenwood head unit with 210 watt Blaupunkt speakers in the back, and 220 watt Blaupunkt speakers in the front. Everyone who has ever sat in my car says my stereo sounds unbelievable.

The reliability of my car is amazing; it has never not started and gone. That combined with the performance it provides, makes it, in my opinion, to be the GREATEST car ever made for the money.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94_REDSE-R:
Loud on the highway?/Have you driven a Saturn?
Misc. rattles?/ dont have that problem.
Plain looks?/ I love the look.
Shiity radio?/ you still have a stock radio?
</font>

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header (Awaiting Arrival)
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 07-22-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, I got some back-up.

I have been waiting for the alternater to die on me but not yet. The only prob I had was when I first got my SE-R the waterpump froze up. Mind you, it was rainy and cold that day. And when the waterpump goes, the car overheats, the heater doesnt work, and the same belt that drives the water pump drives the power steering, so that goes too!!
So here I was on a rainy day on the highway and my power steering didnt work, my windows fogged the hell up , and my car was overheating!! I almost died!!!!! Its funny now when I look back. I had to use my baby girls diaper to wipe off the moisture from the windshield!! ha ha!! LMAO!!!!
But now its fixed and I love my car!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I usually don't like lending people my cars but out of curiosity I let my dad take my cracked up SE-R to run around today. He knows cars probably better than most and has more experience than the big egos on this board. The generation gap is still there. Funny he said the car is fast and fun but found himself driving in 5th around town. He also said it is loud and buzzy.

</font>
I have had my SE-R since she was new i 1991. I have over 109K miles on it, and it is my daily driver.

I have driven other cars since in and well above it's class and find my SE-R (all stock mechanicals, mind you) to be quiet and refined for it's class. No interior rattles and the engine is smooth. I admit it gets a bit buzzy at around 6K rpm. The car simply is a dream. It has never not started (no matter how cold or hot outside), and only had one unscheduled maintanence. Fuel pump at 65K miles. I know when I get older this will be THE car I wil always look back on most with a big ass grin. Hell, the way it is going I may still be driving it then!

I love the timeless 3-box look and the simple design. I still look back in admiration when leaving the car.

I find it a more refined drive than the new 2000-01 SE even. The classic just drives better. I am considering two cars seriously in the near future as my next set of wheels. The New SE-Rspec V or RSX-typeS. If one of these cars are to my liking , my vail white beauty may end up on the market for sale after all.

I simply just love my car and get compliments on it daily.

I just had to add my two cents in it;s defense.

------------------
'91 SE-R, Vail White, 5-speed, LSD, Leather-package, Sunroof, Borbet Type H 15"wheels, Z-rated Dunlop SP5000 tires, Blaupunct RDS Nevada 180 watt CD reciever W/4 Blaupunct factory sized speakers, NR Industries White Face guages w/red indicators, body color factory grille. Never had 5th gear pop-out. Babied 104K miles. NEVER abused, wrecked or smoked in. (Still have the orginal SE-R Wheels and Stereo and they go with car if I ever do sell)
Web-page http://community.webtv.net/SentraSE-Rman/My1991ClassicSentra/

·
Registered
54 Posts
I usually don't like lending people my
cars but out of curiosity I let my dad
take my cracked up SE-R to run around
today. He knows cars probably better
than most and has more experience than
the big egos on this board. The
generation gap is still there. Funny he
said the car is fast and fun but found
himself driving in 5th around town. He
also said it is loud and buzzy.

</font>
I have had my SE-R since she was new i
1991. I have over 109K miles on it, and
it is my daily driver.

I have driven other cars since in and
well above it's class and find my SE-R
(all stock mechanicals, mind you) to be
quiet and refined for it's class. No
interior rattles and the engine is
smooth. I admit it gets a bit buzzy at
around 6K rpm. The car simply is a dream.
It has never not started (no matter how
cold or hot outside), and only had one
unscheduled maintanence. Fuel pump at 65K
miles. I know when I get older this will
be THE car I wil always look back on most
with a big ass grin. Hell, the way it is
going I may still be driving it then!

I love the timeless 3-box look and the
simple design. I still look back in
admiration when leaving the car.

I find it a more refined drive than the
new 2000-01 SE even. The classic just
drives better. I am considering two cars
seriously in the near future as my next
set of wheels. The New SE-Rspec V or
RSX-typeS. If one of these cars are to my
liking , my vail white beauty may end up
on the market for sale after all.

I simply just love my car and get
compliments on it daily.

I just had to add my two cents in it's
defense.

------------------
'91 SE-R, Vail White, 5-speed, LSD, Leather-package, Sunroof, Borbet Type H 15"wheels, Z-rated Dunlop SP5000 tires, Blaupunct RDS Nevada 180 watt CD reciever W/4 Blaupunct factory sized speakers, NR Industries White Face guages w/red indicators, body color factory grille. Never had 5th gear pop-out. Babied 104K miles. NEVER abused, wrecked or smoked in. (Still have the orginal SE-R Wheels and Stereo and they go with car if I ever do sell)
Web-page http://community.webtv.net/SentraSE-Rman/My1991ClassicSentra/

·
8,148 Posts
Someone turned left into my lane last friday and I hit them doing $2,500 damage to a $3,000 car. How can get factory parts paid for if the damage is so close to the value...??

Besides that I am pretty down the car. While cherry for the year (92), man these cars are pretty brutalistic. Loud on the highway, misc rattles and plain jane looks. Radio is pathetic. Don't get me wrong sr20's are cool but not close to the end all be all. I'm just losing enthusiasm as car begins to rust.
</font>
Look, my NX was totalled 2 times. I felt the way you did too. I know what the problem is with your feelings twards the car. You are not spending the money in the right places.
I don't have the pics but trust me, anyone who seen my car will know that when it first got hit by a truck my whole left side was ****ed. Brought it right back. Then someone cut in front of me popped my airbag and needed new front end pieces. Brought it right back. If the car gets written off by their insurance company this could be a blessing in disguise for you. Both times my car got written off something new was added. First time I got the Erebuni wing and new paint scheme.
Second time I got the MSDesign spoiler and Grant wheel. (I refuse to put an airbag back on the car).

This is a good time to make some money. If you need a good bodyshop and are willing to treck it to NY i will make sure it gets done nice. If not look for a bodyshop near you who can do an "insurance deal" for you. Insurance company writes off the car and gives you like $3500. They ask you if you want ot keep it. Worst case scenerio you pay like $500.00 to get it back. Best case scenerio, they tell you just do whatever you want to do with it.
You get it fixed for like $1500. Total-
$3500-1500=$2000 in pocket money. Hit the bodyman off with like $250.00 for helping you with the discount and you still have $1750 to buy a better radio, Greddy, rims and make it look not so plain Jane. I think you are selling the car short (and yourself in the long run). Just look at Ben, he bought a NX2000 that was ready for salvage but saw the potential in it.
Let us see some pics of the car and give us a description of the damage. $2500 is not a lot of damage. For the year yeah, but in terms of bodyshop damage $2500 is cosmetic and minor suspension. Now if you said something like $5000 worth of damage i would say oouch.
IMHO fixing it would be ten times better than making 5 years of carpayments all over again.
But if you decide to junk it let me know I need some seats.

·
Registered
184 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 91ClassicSE-R:
it is my daily driver.

compliments on it daily.

defense.

</font>
I love my '91 too!
The SE-R was available with a leather interior? I didn't know that. Do you have any pics of the interior?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Pretty White I feel a little better now. I too want to exploit the situation as it seems you have. The damage is cosmetic only. Radiator support and bumper mounts are untouched. It's just a matter of bolting a new hood, right fender and bumper on the car. Which I can do.. I CANNOT handle the paint job, so thats where I need the pros.. I could have a shop paint all the panels off the car and then I do it myself from there hopefully pocketing some cash.

------------------
"Oh you got a Sentra, my friend has one of those"

·
8,148 Posts
Hey Red, The leather Pkg consisted of leather trim, such as steering wheel and shift knob. Not seating area or door panels. They are the same closth that all 91's had.

Have you had yours since it was new?

</font>
Some dealers did do a leather package with classics. You can still get the seatcovers at a good upholstery shop. Thats is why I want classic seats for my NX2000. All I will do is swap tracks so they won't sit high and I will be OK.

·
Registered
54 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RED 91 SE-R:
Originally posted by 91ClassicSE-R:
it is my daily driver.

compliments on it daily.

defense.

</font>
I love my '91 too!
The SE-R was available with a leather interior? I didn't know that. Do you have any pics of the interior?

Hey Red, The leather Pkg consisted of leather trim, such as steering wheel and shift knob. Not seating area or door panels. They are the same closth that all 91's had.

·
Registered
184 Posts

</font>
No, but I wish I had. I've owned it for about 3 years now. It has become a trusty friend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK this is my topic to sing the blues about the sentra and how it got crashed...

The other insurance company made me an 80% offer on my damage. Now I fight for 100%. They said only 80% because they think I was speeding and the point of impact was his BACK right. BACK meaning he had almost completed his turn. I countered by saying I braked real hard. Tonight I grab the expensive camera and am on a mission to shoot my skid marks.(if they are still there). Also I am on a secret mission to the guys house to get a pic of his damage because I feel I nailed a little more towards the front of the car than indicated..

Wish me much needed luck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good luck. By the way, the '94 is still in Bangor. My friend says it's less than 5K and has under 80K miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts