SR20 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to see who has a 98-99 SE-R/SE and the JWT cam program and has run into problems trying to adjust the idle. Mine is at about 1100 most of the time but sometimes it just stays at 1500. Not often though. When trying to adjust the idle should you be disconnecting both TPS sensors? (Cause the 98-99's have two) I know that the JWT program has an idle program in it to improve idle quality but if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

------------------
98 200SX SE-R custom cold air by Andreas, AEBS header, Greedy exhaust, JWT motor mounts, UR pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve springs and titanium retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters flywheel,Sprint spring/AGX combo, no cat, custom JWT computer w/cam program, Bored airflow meter, and a best ET of 14.78 @94.8mph on street tires with full interior and no limited slip diff!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
If it only occasionally stays at 1500 (after fully warm, right? AC off, defrost off, etc), I don't think its an ECU issue.
Some really simple things to check. How tight is your throttle cable? If it has almost no slack, try adding a little.
Have you cleaned your throttle body?
Wait, I forgot something. There are some sensors that interfere with the TPS on the 98-99s. Let me copy what Ray Kawski told me to do when mine comes in (although only witht the S3 program).
---Below from RK---:
At the back of the car. Underneath the car you will see a
black box
on the drivers side of the car. By where the gas tank
filler is.
Big black rectangle box. Its the evap canister. You will
find to
wiring harnesses up there. One has 2 wires the other has 3
wires.
Disconnect both. In the engine bay also disconnect the
harness that
goes to the little black box on the firewall labeled boost
gauge or
something or other. It has a connector and a vacumn line
on it.
Disconnect the harness from the sensor.

After you do that test your TPS voltages. Per SE-R.net.
You want
closed at .45V and WOT at 4V.
----end of quote---

However, I don't know what was done differently by JWT to get the C-series cams to idle better. This might help, it might not. Please let us know what you try and if anything works.

When setting the idle, you only need to undo the top connector.

[This message has been edited by jacen99SE (edited 04-23-2001).]

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Hey guys you know what, this is sadly familiar to me. I have JWT s4 cams in my 98 but with the stock ECU and my idle WILL NOT adjust no matter what. It will only go higher once I disconnect the TPS, but once I reconnect it the idle drops down again.

I have been trying to adjust it higher than 600rpms because of the nasty idle with the ES mounts and the cams. It sucks, but I'm used to it.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ goodies
15.1 @ 90mph at Englishtown, NJ

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude at least you know where I am coming from. With the C series cam trying to optimize idle quality is key! Especially without cat and with the noisy as hell AEBS header. I never had the problem with my s3's and factory ecu though. Only started when I put the computer in. Even with C-cams and factory ecu it idled at 800 rpms but sounded wicked as hell! Hopefully someone will have a fix. I did try to adjust the idle though jacen99se by disconnecting only the top sensor and idled at 800rpm. When i plugged it back in and fired her up i was right back at about 1100-1150. I am gonna try disconnecting the canisters etc.

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, Mike K. mentioned something to me about the sensor on the inside of the engine bay on the firewall but I gave it up. Now that I have a little more info I will give it another try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts