SR20 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I go about setting the toe on my car? I recently put back on the stock suspension from my cheapassspringcombo/agx, now I have crazy amounts of toe out. Are there any tips on how to do it? I can't make it into an alignment shop for another few weeks, and the tires won't last that long. TIA!

·
VE powered
556 Posts
WhiteSER said:
How do I go about setting the toe on my car? I recently put back on the stock suspension from my cheapassspringcombo/agx, now I have crazy amounts of toe out. Are there any tips on how to do it? I can't make it into an alignment shop for another few weeks, and the tires won't last that long. TIA!
The procedure is in the FSM.

Basically, there is a jam or locking type nut on the tie rods. Jack up the front of the car, loosen the nut and you should be able to adjust the lenght of the tie rod, lower the car back down, and measure your toe. Repeat as necessary. Once you're happy with your toe tighten the jam nut.

Steve

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
Steve wrote:
Basically, there is a jam or locking type nut on the tie rods. Jack up the front of the car, loosen the nut and you should be able to adjust the lenght of the tie rod, lower the car back down, and measure your toe. Repeat as necessary. Once you're happy with your toe tighten the jam nut.
1. Make sure the car is on very level ground (like a concrete garage).

2. Measure from tire-to-tire at the treadblocks on the front tires at the front and rear of the tires. (2 measurements). The difference between them is the toe angle.

3. To make an adjustment, think very carefully of how each tie rod will need to be adjusted to give you the correct result (thread direction).

4. If you're nimble, you can reach the jam-nut without jacking up the car. You'll find this easier if you end up needing a lot of adjustments to get it right. Loosen the jam-nut and turn the appropriate tie-rod, maybe at 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn increments. Depending on current alignment, you may need to adjust both (to get the steering wheel straight).

5. After each adjustment, drive the car around the block to settle the suspension and tires. Then return to the level spot and remeasure.

6. Repeat as necessary.

-Larry MacLeod
who's SE-R hasn't seen an alignment rack in 4 years,
but gets the toe changed at every autocross

1 - 3 of 3 Posts