SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Empire-CAT Machinery Tech
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im unable to release that damn thing:mad:!! its so freaking hard to remove, is this a slide on type or screw on type:confused: ? any ideas on how to remove it easily?

its a 91 se-r

thanks anyone..

·
know hope.
646 Posts
get a vise grip. grab a rag. put the rag around the knob so to not damage it. Now open the wise up by adjusting the screw to as wide as it will go. Adjust untill clamping it closed takes some force. Clamp that bad boy and use some muscle to turn it left. It should be a 10mm thread like most nissans have i believe. and youre done!

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Nissan uses glue on the threads.

C

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
get a vise grip. grab a rag. put the rag around the knob so to not damage it. Now open the wise up by adjusting the screw to as wide as it will go. Adjust untill clamping it closed takes some force. Clamp that bad boy and use some muscle to turn it left. It should be a 10mm thread like most nissans have i believe. and youre done!
Or get a set of Channel Locks, plumbing deals.

Grab the beat up leather knob you are replacing. Replacing is important.

Carefully grab the knob, squeeze like a motherfucker. Twist, being carfull to not torque the actual shift lever itself.

Rip the leather completely off the knob. Curse. Inspect to make sure nothing got torqued wrong.

Re-grab knob. Curse again with gusto. Squeeze till veins pop. Carefully give it another twist, applying torque until you grunt and your eyes bulge.

The knob will then twist right off. Easy.

Replace with new shift knob.

That was my method.

·
Empire-CAT Machinery Tech
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys... im gonna try it with the vise grip, if i cant im gonna wack that thing with a hammer till its off....hehe

·
fugg it
245 Posts
if you can, take a small propane torch to the shift lever itself. heat for 20-30 sec. comes right off.

·
TheLittleEnginethatCould
367 Posts
Replace the whole shift stick with a short throw shifter.:D The shifter stand very high, looks like the car has a hard on!

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts
you have to use spray lube.
wont do anything.

there are 1238764102398743 threads on this exact topic. not trying to be a dick but this is easily the most common question ever.;)

unless you are one of the few who's glue has deteriorated then you can save the OEM shift knob........if your glue is still holding strong then THERE REALLY IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO SAVE THE SHIFT KNOB AT ALL. with this knowledge go at it with anything and everything.

·
Rebuilding
3,916 Posts
wont do anything.

there are 1238764102398743 threads on this exact topic. not trying to be a dick but this is easily the most common question ever.;)

unless you are one of the few who's glue has deteriorated then you can save the OEM shift knob........if your glue is still holding strong then THERE REALLY IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO SAVE THE SHIFT KNOB AT ALL. with this knowledge go at it with anything and everything.
You always have something to say back to every post i make... and yes it will it worked with mine, when i did my 5speed swap i dropped the whole linkage from a b14 at the junkyard and the knob wouldnt come off so i locked the shifter in a vise, sprayed the inside with some rubber lube from ZEP and let it soak in and it twisted right off with ease... and i am still using the same SE-R knob in my 200SX that a removed from another b14 and its IN ONE PIECE!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts