SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I drive a race car again!
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install a new shift light, but it did not come with very good install instructions. It's a three wire set-up: red to fused 12V, black to chassis ground, green to ??? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? I know it needs to go on a lead off the coil (yes?), but which wire and where? Anyone have some install advice (I have a '92 classic, but I would assume any SR20 install would be applicable). Little help here.....

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
it goes into one of the wires on the tach. I know it is the - wire on a honda, but could be diffrent for a nissan.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
If your not using MSD or such hook it to the negative side of coil which is listed as a G/Y in the FSM , that could be Gray/Yellow or Green/Yellow .Positive side has red on it. Just so you know you will have to experiment with the chips to get the light to come on at Redline I got a 7,200 pill in mine , I had to try 7,500 7,400 7,300 then the 7,200 kept banging the limiter before light came on guess it can't keep up with the SR's super reving capability. If you have a light with the little yellow boot that goes over the end of light USE IT!!!!!! or you will blind yourself at night when it comes on. Trips out the Honda drivers though when they see it through they're windshield , guess they have to choose between watching my tailights or my shift light

[This message has been edited by skyliner (edited 01-10-2001).]

·
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kinda what I thought it should be. The light I have doesn't us pills, it had dip switches instead. Many thanks for the info!

·
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finished my shiftlight install over the weekend and wanted to share some thoughts on how easy it really is. I bought my light from a guy that builds them himself (check out http://harlan.sketchy.net/). The light does not require "pills", can be set to any rpm, and used with nearly any engine. It's small (tube about an 1" in diameter and 4" long) with a 10" pigtail. It's a three wire set-up: red to 12v power, black to chassis ground, and green for your signal. On my '92 classic, I ran the red to the open air bag fuse slot on the fuse block and the black to a chassis ground under the left hand side of the dash near the drivers door. I ran the green signal wire thru the speedometer grommet on the firewall. I piggybacked it on to the "negative" switched side of the coil, which it the green/yellow wire coming out of the bottom of the coil (as opposed to the red/black). It's a very simple, clean install and only costs $40 shipped. The light is very bright (I mounted via velcro on the dash directly in front of me). Interestingly, I set the light originally for 7000rpm and it came on at an indicated 7200rpm on the tach. I'm guessing the light is more accurate than the tach!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts