SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres the deal, I just bought a 92 NX2000, I can't get the car to go into any of the gears that you pull towards you to get into(2nd, 4th, & reverse) I've looked under the car, it doens't look like theres anything intruding(I.E a rock or something....) Anyone have any ideas? When you try and put it into the above listed gears, it feels like you're trying to put it into somewhere its not supposed to go, I'm thinkiing that the shift linkage is off alignment, but the FSM doesn't cover this anywhere...anyone help me? Any ideas?? TIA!!

~Ryan:confused:

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT
Anyone have any ideas? I'm desperate here!! Please help!!

~Ryan:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Check the rear motor mount. If this is loose, or has any bolts fallen off it, it will cause the shift linkage to bind.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
There are a few possible problem areas. Hopefully, it's either the shift base itself that is loose (happened to me.) If not, just work your way down the line. There are two bars, one keeps the length between the trans and the shifter the same, one actually changes the gears. Check the two ends on both of those to see if they are all tight (I didn't quite tighten some of these enough once, oops...) If none of that works, you might have a bad shifter fork or something, of which I have no experience with.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Check that the linkage is free and moves without touching anything under the car. Once that is established, your only other solution is inside the trans.

Sorry.

There is no linkage "adjustment" that's why you can't find it in the FSM.

I'm rebuilding my tranny right now because of the same issue. There is a check ball and these little lever things (Not shift forks) that the input shaft from the shift linkage actuates. If they get booger'd up or the check ball sticks, your done.

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jay Hass said:
Check that the linkage is free and moves without touching anything under the car. Once that is established, your only other solution is inside the trans.

Sorry.

There is no linkage "adjustment" that's why you can't find it in the FSM.

I'm rebuilding my tranny right now because of the same issue. There is a check ball and these little lever things (Not shift forks) that the input shaft from the shift linkage actuates. If they get booger'd up or the check ball sticks, your done.
Well, when the car is in neutral the wheels turn, I draind the oil out and I heared a *CLUNK* like some piece of metal fell in the oil pan the oil was draining into...and there were several small 3/4" pieces of thin steel stuck to the oil plug...I'm thinking the tranny is toast....guess I'll just have to do a tranny swap...which involves getting a new clutch...and all that great stuff...and theres all these things I *Should* do while its out...ARGGG....le'me just change the oil and see if that helps.....:(

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Err...

I dunno whats goin on but heres a picture of SEVERAL pieces of metal that I pulled outta the drain-plug hole...I think my tranny has bit the dust...any ideas??

Also...now when I have it in gear, it makes a cluking sound every time the engine turns over once...it is coming from the tranny, I know that...I'm just going to make sure its full of oil...then try it again...hope I didn't **** something up more...I'm using 80W90 BTW, just some I had laying around...just assumend it wouldn't hurt it any more...it says its for GL-4, and GL-5, and limited slip differentials...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I too had similar problems as you did with the shifter not moving into gears, but mine didn't spit out pieces of metal when I drained the oil and it actually turned out to be a broken motor mount bolts (the once right above the cross member). I don't think that's the cure to your problem but I thought I'd share this and it wouldn't hurt to take a look.
Good luck,
Nick

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Sorry, dude, but that rectangular piece is a shifter cap. I believe there are two of them... one for the fifth gear shift fork, the other for the 3rd/4th gear shift fork. The other bits don't look familar.

Anyhow, at a minimum you're going to have to open up the tranny and replace the missing/damaged parts. More likely you're looking at a rebuild or buying a used tranny. I found a used tranny with 50k miles in good condition for $650. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I agree, don'yt even waste the money on putting fluid in that transmission, its toast.

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anouther one bites the dust....

Yeah, I think the tranny is dead...has anyone ever done a swap to a 200SX tranny? Are all the gear ratios the same? Wheres the hole that you have to plug up that you don't need on the B13's?? any help would be appricated...I found a tranny for $200...not sure of the condition....the miles...or anything like that...gotta call...

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ouch dude....im sorry

tranny swap time...and <kojima> while your in there time to put cams in </kojima>

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Bowlcut said:
Ouch dude....im sorry

tranny swap time...and <kojima> while your in there time to put cams in </kojima>
Actually you might want to get the ES steering rack bushings from Coutesy. Quite a bit easier to install with the tranny out.

Only thing required to do when swapping in a 93+ tranny into a 91 or 92 is to swap the speedo sensor.

You might also want to consider getting your tranny welded... or at a minimum use some JB Weld to fill the hollow areas in the tranny shell around the area where the passenger axle goes into the tranny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts