SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys drag race, where do you shift at? I launch at 4k, redline first, shift into 2nd, redline 2nd, shift to third, then I leave it in third unti I cross the traps. I'll hit the limiter in third about 10-20 feet after the traps if I keep it in, but I shift to 4th as soon as I cross. I am getting relatively low traps for the ET's that I have got. One time was a [email protected] Some people have said this is low. Would shifting to 4th say at like 6500 help me out more, or just keep it at the redline? What do you guys do?

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Yea Alex, if you want a higher trap, go to fourth before you hit redline. I ran a 15.8 @ 86 in Joser's car and he did a 16.01 @ 88.X and the difference was that I bounced off the rev limiter in 3rd and he shifted to fourth.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm Wednesday night drags sound tempting now given the new info.. Come on David, you know you wanna go

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
But remember, your ET will be higher (slower). It's sort of a trade off, faster trap, slower ET; slower trap, faster ET.

------------------
David

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Yea, I actually would like to go, but I get off of from school at 9 and by the time I get to speedworld it will be 9:30 (tech is probably already over) and then I race for an hour and drive for another hour to get home and go to bed, by then it's almost 12!! And I have to be up at 5 to go to work the next day
!! But yea, I wish I could make it out. Just wait, let me bolt on that blow-dryer-thingy sitting in my closet and I'll be heading out there waaay more often

------------------
David

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't believe you traded those rims straight across like that. But I guess you want the sleeper look. I don't think brett will stand a chance against you when you get boost, well maybe if you miss a shift, or 2. He's going out to the track tonight with some nitto drag radials that Ben from Apex is letting him borrow. Should be a high 14, mid 14's with practice.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When are you doing the install on that? I'd like to check it out. Brad's car looks pretty sweet with 17's now

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Probably not for a while. I need to get another project done and out of my house before I can finish my car up. Plus, I'm completely tapped out right now and I still need some additional parts to get the stuff working. I'll let you know. Then I can go out and show Bret some real boost
So what do you think? Did I give Brad a smokin deal or what!?!

------------------
David

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Yea, at first I was a bit hesitant, but screw it. This is the second time I trade aftermarket wheels for stocks. Those wheels on Joe's (Tucson) car, those were mine too. Oh well, I like how it looks like this. Let us know what Bret runs so we can be prepared for the competition

------------------
David

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brett's best time last night was either a 14.6 or 14.8. They messed up the time slips so he doesnt have it from that run. I saw the time light up when i was leaving the time slip booth but I couldnt tell it if it was a .8 or. 6. I think its the .8 just because his other runs were .9's and 15 flats. He didnt heat up the nittos in the water box though, just did a dry hop. Still spun them in first. If he gets the tires heated up, I think he'll be in the mid 14's.

Me on the other hand got crap times. 15.8's @86's were my best times. I tried shifting into 4th and still got the same results. The last few runs I did, I just left my foot floored on the gas on my 2-3 shifts and 3-4 shifts, using the clutch still. Seemed like it kept the rpm's up a lil more. Now I need a header and exhaust!

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
That's pretty cool. It was sort of warm out yesterday so that coulda affected things too.

------------------
David

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
He didnt heat up the nittos in the water box though, just did a dry hop. Still spun them in first. If he gets the tires heated up, I think he'll be in the mid 14's.

</font>
You arent supposed to! Anythin other than slicks is still not soft enough to have any effect take place in the box! The box is for sue wiht slicks only. Putting Nittos in a boz will nto help at all. All you need to do is lower the tire pressure in the front, jack it up in the rear, and give a nice little burnout as you are going *around* the waterbox. Just enoguh to grease em up a little.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts