SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody heard of this? when put my car into gear the shifter still moves around like it is in nutral...
I can still shift, but I have to find the gears by memory. there seems to be no guide for the stick.?.
any help would be appreciated.

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
There is a spring that attaches to the shifter linkage under the car - you will need to undo the exhaust hangers and unbolt the heat shield to give yourself some room to get at it. This spring helps to keep the shift lever "on center" (neutral) and if it broke or slipped off it might cause the problem you are having.

Hope this helps.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike sr20de:
has anybody heard of this? when put my car into gear the shifter still moves around like it is in nutral...
I can still shift, but I have to find the gears by memory. there seems to be no guide for the stick.?.
any help would be appreciated.
</font>

A little bit of movement is normal. Anything obviously excessive would probably mean you have something wrong. I would suspect the shifter bushing and/or linkage.

Jack up the car and verify everything is tight and snug under there. If the bushing is abnormally soft or worn, get the ES shifter bushing, it's only like $8.

------------------
Jordan (Stormy)
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys (NI), KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Probably loose linkage. Crawl under the car and take the heatshield off and unbolt the cat and move it out of the way. Then have a friend sit in the car and shift into different gears and look for excessive movement. You'll probably have to tighten some bolts, you may need a new bushing. Good luck.

The bolts that held the shifter to the body fell off on my car soon after a short-shifter install. I was about 4 blocks from home and had to push the car the whole way. I found the bolts sitting on top of the heatshield.
Lucky I guess.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
71 Posts
mike does it move excessivly?? like you couldnt tell if it was in nuetral if it wasnt your car??

lol.. this happened to me at street races before... omg its scary!

actually it is not the spring.. i havent had the spring for a year now.. what actually happened i believe is that the nut that holds the shifter to the shift linkage has fallen off! shouldnt be too hard of a fix.. i dont even think i had to unbolt my cat.. just stick a wrench up in there. And use a lock nut this time

good luck!

markp
red200sxser

·
SR20 FROM HELL!!!
51 Posts
reviving the post, i actually got this issue today when i installed my Ebay Short Shifter... checking the ES shifter bushing install tomorrow... will try to post with an update!

·
MECP Master Installer
419 Posts
why are you reviving this then? Just to tell us your daily plans? If you have an actual question for the forum, by all means post it. But there's no need to revive a 7 year old thread for no good reason.

·
SR20 FROM HELL!!!
51 Posts
why are you reviving this then? Just to tell us your daily plans? If you have an actual question for the forum, by all means post it. But there's no need to revive a 7 year old thread for no good reason.
bad mood ah?... just wanted to know if there was any other suggestion about this topic... since they're just commenting on experiences on when it happened to them but no actual response to how to fix it... just talking bout a spring my car doesn't have at all! any way sorry to bother to by reviving a post bout an issue with my car... just tought i could contribute a little...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts