SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I should shift to anoter gear then shift to reverse, but lately reverse hasen't been catching and I hear the ginding of gears sound.that sound makes me squint and just say oooooh man that hurt! what could be wrong? all other gears are ok.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Mine dose the same when cold. And its friggin freezing here. You might just want to change over to synthetic tranny oil.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you're right it's freezing here in N.Y also. this happens in the morning. i'll try that first.thanks!

·
_______
3,640 Posts
The best part bout this weather is after I start the car I let the clutch out in N and the rpm's drop to like 500 for a half a second and the car lunges forward a bit! Time for me to change my fluid also. I'll have to get some for SF2K1.

G

·
Hey do you guys do anything special fluid-wise to compensate for the ccccold
weather here? I just run Mobil 1 5w-30 and that's pretty much it.....I have not had any problems shifting in the am, but it does hang up in between gears once in awhile, even when the car's warm.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I run 10w30 year round in the engine with Mobil 1 in the tranny with no problems. Shifts are a bit stiff when cold but no big deal.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Redman, you might want to check your clutch cable. I had that same problem and it was just my clutch cable out of adjustment.

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gosselin:
The best part bout this weather is after I start the car I let the clutch out in N and the rpm's drop to like 500 for a half a second and the car lunges forward a bit! Time for me to change my fluid also. I'll have to get some for SF2K1.

</font>
I notice the same thing and my gear lube has only around 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking the clutch cable also cause I drove a j-spec se-r and the clutchwas a clutch masters st.3 and the **** jerked every gear also chirpped it to 4 th. I'll be lucky if I could chirp 2nd. centerforce dual friction ,resurfaced flywheel 20.000 miles on the clutch but it grabs way up in the pedal. I don,t even have to press the pedal all the way down to engage a gear. clutch is good though ,should it grab at the bottom for crisp jerky shifts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your reverse problem is very common, I've had 3 SE-R's, and thay all do it, don't worry about all that oil stuff, HERE'S WHAT YOU DO: when you go to put it in reverse, let the clutch out just a little, and it'll slide in to reverse almost by itself. It will never grind if you do it this way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts