SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's shocks are original and since i just bought the car i havent had a chance to replace them. After 98k miles you can all agree they are totally worn out.
The obvious solution is to totally replace them but im not sure what to replace them with. I dont intend to get springs but i want handling as good as stock or better. I am a perfectionist so im willing to spend more for better shocks.
Lastly, when i do decide on a certain shock where can i buy it.
Any answers wouldd be appreciated

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I recommend the KYB brand AGX struts. They're four-way adjustable in front, and eight-way adjustable on the rears. The AGX is the best strut for the cost (way better than the non-adjustable Tokico HP's I had, for about the same price).

P-S-T Performance sells them for $389/set, but I haven't tried them. Most places sell for under $450/set.

·
Registered
909 Posts
go with the KYB AGX. They are the best stock replacement on the market for our cars. They are also adjustable. You can adjust them stiffer or softer to your liking. get them from http://www.p-s-t.com/ they have the best price. They dont list them for the 93 but they do sell them. They have the best prices.

MarC

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Just to add my $.02 here, as I am also shopping for AGXs....
I just got a quote from Dave Turner Motor sports www.DaveTurner.com or www.Shox.com at $379 for a set of 4 KYB AGXs.
Ten bucks is ten bucks...

[This message has been edited by SERprise In WV (edited 07-16-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
umm... do the KYB AGX's work ok with the stock springs... and lastly... i assume you would need a spring compressor to mount the shocks right?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yes, AGXs work fine with stock springs. Keep them on the lowest settings and you'll be fine. You might get a little harsher ride over small bumps and ripples, but I was coming from pro-kits which had me hitting the bumpstops all the time so I didn't notice. You will need a spring compressor for the job, and if you don't have an impact wrench you might want to get an offset 17mm or 11/16 wrench to tighten the top nut. Good luck, and if it's your first time changing struts do them one at a time. I did all 4 at once and got some parts mixed up.. doh!

[This message has been edited by Scarpa (edited 07-16-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stock sptings=YES
Spring compressor=YES!
For the compressor bolts get a socket big eanough to fit and try to use an electric impact driver, or strong drill/driver 14v.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Dave Turner didn't mention whether shipping was included or not. I'd go with PST, if $389 includes shipping. You can't ship a set of struts ANYWHERE for $10.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Have a look at my my strut replacement page.

One note:
the top piston lock nut on the AGX is bigger than the one on a stock/Tokico strut, 19mm vs. 17mm if I remember correctly. The front AGXes are adjusted on the top on the piston, so they use a larger nut. Not a big deal - just don't want you to get caught out in the middle of an install without 19mm sockets and wrenches.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AHHHH... on the se-r FAQ part , suspension systems, people are saying that adding gas shocks to stock springs will make the car rise as much as an inch!!!! Supposively the fact that OE struts are fluid filled makes them not do this, so the high pressure gas is supposed to raise the car! I was an inch close to buying AGX's when i saw this but now i am a mile away! Has anybody put AGX's on thier stock springs with about 98,000 miles on thier struts? This would be a major drawback to find my se-r looking like an suv after i swap struts! Any info is appreciated

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I think that's out-of-date, bogus information. The SE-R FAQ is years old, and the SE-R community has had a lot more experience with hi-po struts.

New struts may take a little while to settle, but they wouldn't keep a car higher off the ground for very long.

Springs hold up a car, not the struts. To raise the ride height, the struts would have to be pretty hardcore. You can push a AGX strut rod down with your hand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AGX are not a high pressure strut, they are low pressure gas. A high pressure would be something along the lines of a Bilstein monotube IIRC.

Matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts