SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the B&M short shifter, and I am waiting to install it. I was browsing aroun on this forum looking for tips on installing and seeing if there are any major modifications I am going to have to make. One thing I came across is people putting new bushings in along with the shifter. What are these bushings, and what do they do, do they make the shifts better? Any information on this would be helpful, thank you.

·
Beware....THE BEAR!!
1,730 Posts
it's pretty straight forward, just put it together like the instructions say. I had no problems and i had an automatic before the b&m...haha

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I didn't want to go through the hassle of installing a short shifter... so I just cut the rod like 4 inches...

But I did have to take of the old shifter, which was glued on so it was painful. Since I cut the stick, I could only use the aftermarket universal shifters (the ones that dont screw on)

Here is the final product.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, that looks really nice. Is it any harder to shift, or does it feel the same???

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
wow, that looks really nice. Is it any harder to shift, or does it feel the same???
It does have it's looks, but a picture can make anything look pretty :)

Shifting is not hard, in fact IMO its much better. When I first cut it I was like wow, why didn't I do that on my previous car.

The advantage is, your shifter doesn't hit the items in the cup holder anymore, people dont look at it like this :eek2: , and looks slick :biggthump

I hacked up an Altima armrest, and even with the short shifter it feels so nice and comfy :)

·
808 SE-R Mafia: KUKI-MSTR
342 Posts
when i installed mine, the ball joint at the bottom of the kit was a hair too big so i had to file the hole in the shift linkage to get it to fit....well both times i did it i didnt have the instructions perse...so i don't know if it's easier to feed the assembly up thru the bottom, but both times i dropped mine in from the cabin.

·
Drivin' my life away. . .
409 Posts
I just purchased the B&M short shifter, and I am waiting to install it. I was browsing aroun on this forum looking for tips on installing and seeing if there are any major modifications I am going to have to make. One thing I came across is people putting new bushings in along with the shifter. What are these bushings, and what do they do, do they make the shifts better? Any information on this would be helpful, thank you.
I think the bushing you are referring to is the one at the front end of the shift sytem, when the stabilizing arm (correct term?) is mounted. ES makes one that is stiffer than stock and makes the system feel more secure. About a five minute install if you are under the car.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
After having a short shifter in my car for years, I went back to stock, and I love it. The throw may be longer, but it shifts so much easier.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
I didn't want to go through the hassle of installing a short shifter... so I just cut the rod like 4 inches...

But I did have to take of the old shifter, which was glued on so it was painful. Since I cut the stick, I could only use the aftermarket universal shifters (the ones that dont screw on)

Here is the final product.
You do know that cutting a few inches off the stock shifter, is not the same as an aftermarket short shifter.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
After having a short shifter in my car for years, I went back to stock, and I love it. The throw may be longer, but it shifts so much easier.
Funny you mention that, I have the adjustable SMC one (wow, old shcool) and I use to have that ball adjusted for the shortest throw possible, but then I put it up about half way, throws are still not as long as stock, but closer to stock than it was before, and it is easier to shift.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Before I bought my '99 SE-L, I test drove a '98 SE-R, that thing had a short shifter (I'm not sure if it was cut or aftermarket shortshifter). But I hated driving that thing, shifting was terrible, I was just sitting there looking for the right gear. The short shifter that was on SE-R was really low also, pretty much only the knob stuck out, the stick was not even visible...

·
Rebuilding
3,916 Posts
B&M is the best IMO. quality stuff, shorter than stock height, very short throws.

Before I bought my '99 SE-L, I test drove a '98 SE-R, that thing had a short shifter (I'm not sure if it was cut or aftermarket shortshifter). But I hated driving that thing, shifting was terrible, I was just sitting there looking for the right gear. The short shifter that was on SE-R was really low also, pretty much only the knob stuck out, the stick was not even visible...
It was probably a ebay shifter

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
I think the bushing you are referring to is the one at the front end of the shift sytem, when the stabilizing arm (correct term?) is mounted. ES makes one that is stiffer than stock and makes the system feel more secure. About a five minute install if you are under the car.
Bingo. You can get them from Serban (above) at the Go Fast Depot.

You can also look at this item:

http://www.sr20forum.com/custom-steel/168688-cs-rear-shifter-stabilizing-bracket.html

If I was re-doing my shifter, I would go with the Custom Steel shifter bracket.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i hate short shifters, all i do is both shifter bushings, and a weighted knob, and my shifter is firm and direct

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
B&M is the best IMO. quality stuff, shorter than stock height, very short throws.

It was probably a ebay shifter
my b14 came with an ebay s/s..is pretty direct but not as good as the pacesetter:biggthump

·
Master of Swordchuckery
527 Posts
i have the b&m knock off. at first it was a pain to shift, but now that im use to it the only problem is the noise it makes when it rattles.

·
Rebuilding
3,916 Posts
i hate short shifters, all i do is both shifter bushings, and a weighted knob, and my shifter is firm and direct
I'm not getting a S/S for the XE only a shifter bushing and maybe a weighted knob, so basically what you have.

my b14 came with an ebay s/s..is pretty direct but not as good as the pacesetter:biggthump
I have driven a car with a pacesetter and even installed it, and its not bad, there adjustable and all. But there still sort tall.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I love my b&m, but yes it did make the shifting a little harder but also alot shorter, so it was definitely worth it. Besides I am used to it now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts