SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
"Pimping aint Easy"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I see short shifter anywhere from 9$ to 200$

i want a really nice shift, a really quick shift , ive herd and seen alot about them never have bought them. i have all of my shift linkage apart so i figured at buying one.

can anyone give me good information other than what ive read?

thnks

Josh

·
"Pimping aint Easy"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much of a difference did you really feal? i want somthing that will withstand the fastest shift possable right now i can catch a little gride because i shift it to fast. or somtimes mis a shift because the shifter will not respond quick enough.

thnks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dropped89 said:
how much of a difference did you really feal? i want somthing that will withstand the fastest shift possable right now i can catch a little gride because i shift it to fast. or somtimes mis a shift because the shifter will not respond quick enough.

thnks
I have an smc that I will sell you for 75 shippied. It shortens the shifts significantly, and helps to get rid of the sloppy feeling of the stock unit. It's ajustable so you pick how short of shifts you want.

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
Dropped89 said:
I have the PaceSetter in my black SE-R and it is a night and day difference in the length of the throws and in the shift feel. Add an ES shifter bushing and the feel is wonderful. It's adjustable so you could make the throws anywhere you want from a little shorter than stock to super short if you chose. I like it so much, I picked up another one to go in my white SE-R. ;) I've also heard very good reviews of the B&M SS also.

·
WWJD
2,092 Posts
I used to have a short shifter but people kept telling me that that cause trannie brakage!!!!! so I took mine out.

·
Original Owner
1,045 Posts
TREYDEE said:
I used to have a short shifter but people kept telling me that that cause trannie brakage!!!!! so I took mine out.
News to me. Resting your hand on the shifter, short shifter or not will cause tranny problems.

I've had $tillen's first generation short shifter installed for at least seven years. I love it. No problems here.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
where's the cheapest place to get a *Pacesetter* short shifter?

·
Enjoy the GTR Matt!
3,716 Posts
How do you adjust it? I just installed a used one tonight from the wreck to my project car after my linkage FELL OFF the car a few blocks away from my house.

The feel is very nice, feels like about 2" total from top to bottom. Combined with the ES shifter bushing it is very firm and solid. The knob on this one makes the total heigth of the shifter lower as well, but I don't know if it is what comes with the shfiter or not.

·
"Pimping aint Easy"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i ordered one off ebay for 25$ shipped, im gonna try it, its not hard to change it anyways so might aswell go for it. I like what B&M has to offer on there site but they are pricy, i might go with one later down the road.

one thing about nissan and there shift linkage why the hell did they use bolts without heads, they used flat top bolts, see if they get rusy you cannot turn them or grip them so you have to cut up the **** to get it off like i did, well im re-designing it and using some tough ass bolts with heads on them. Stupid design Nissan put out if you ask me. and stupid north for using so much salt, cant those guys really get along with some other chemical ;)
you could kill a deer and eat it a month later after sitting out all month in the road from all the salt ;) hahah

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a b&m and I like it. I chose the b&m over the pacesetter because the b&m comes as a complete assembly. It includes the stick with the ball, like everyoneelse, but they also include the thingymabob that holds the ball and bolts down onto the stabilizer bar. So you don't have to futz with taking apart the old one to reuse. I didn't want to have everything apart only to realize that my stock ball holder was all worn and beatup.
But the b&M is a lot more expensive... :(
shifts good though. I also got the ES shifter bushing.

-patchy

·
Much love for the B-13
593 Posts
For the big ballers out there, get the C's short throw shifter. It is probably the most expensive one available for our cars but I love mine. The shifer uses needle bearings where it attaches to the linkage instead of a nylon bushing like the pacesetter/smc. I don't know wat the B&M uses since I have not seen one up close. The C's also comes with spacers to lower the exhaust heat shield so you don't have to bang on it with a hammer to prevent your newly installed shifter from hitting it.

C's iS mAD jDm To dA fuLLeSt YO! :eek:

·
Registered
295 Posts
A note on the pacesetter: My friend has one, and the ball is adjusted to its highest possible point, where part of the ball is off the threrads. Within a few weeks of his install he blew his clutch to pieces.. Now im not saying its the shifters faut, but If you get one, dont adjust it past the threads. Also, at the track, it makes him miss shifts a lot more than i do with my ghetto cut stock shifter.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts