SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
WhiteSER Can't help you with those, but I'll let you know how the B&M short shifter feels in a few weeks. How much did your's cost, did it come with shifter bushings?

------------------
91 Classic running 9.6's in 1/8 W/ Header& PR CAI

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it for 130 or so shipped from Ptuning.com I actually just ordered it yesterday, so I won't see it until next week. Heres the picture from B&M's website.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have a pacesetter on my car. I've had for about 3 months now, i absolutely love it!! The STS cost me $60 + shipping. Call JCWhitney or www.jcwhitney.com but they may be in back order, as they usually tend to be more often now. Oh, courtesy stopped making there STS. Good luck

------------------
Jorge

'96 SE-R

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Today I installed my wife's anniversary present, a nice new shifter knob. After putting it on it sits about a inch and a half higher than stock,(yuck) Anyways I figured this would be the right time to get a short shifter. I figured the short shifter& my new knob would come out about right. Thinking of going with a pace setter but I was wanting some feedback on the pace setter vs. Courtesy. And if anyone can tell me the price on the courtesy that would be great.
Thanks,
Darren

------------------

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have experiences w/ both the Courtesy and the PaceSetter ShortShifters. Basically, i like the PS one better. Why?

1. the Courtesy one broke on me. I even had my dad reweld it(he's been a welder for 100million years) and i broke it again.

2. The height of the PS is shorter than the courtesy. Everyone clowned on my courtesy shifter, nobody says **** about the PS one.

3. The PS one straight up feels better. It takes a lil more effort... but it's just better....

·
Registered
163 Posts
With all this Shifter talk, I too have a question. On the NOPI site they have the pacesetter "SHORT SHIFTER" for cheap (like $70 or so)on the Stillen site they have what they call a "+S/T SHIFTER ASSY" Short Throw shifter... the Stillen price is much much higher.
Now my thought is that a "Short Throw Shifter" is a different thing than a "Short shifter"

Kind of like the short shifter is more of a cosmetic thing whereas maybe the "Short Throw is what we really want. Anyway I think I just confused myself (it is too early in the morning)

Any clarification is greatly welcome

TIA

------------------
Dan

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
All the same. Short throw shifter, short shifter, short shift kit, etc...

The Stillen and B&M units come with the bushing assembly, if I am not mistaken (see pic above), while the Pacesetter does not; you just use the stock one. You can also get the ES shifter bushings, they're less than $10, and everybody seems to love them.

Here is the Pacesetter unit, if my image post works. You can see where the ball threads onto the shaft and can be adjusted.

------------------
1994 SE-R Super Black
POP Charger, STB, 15" rolling stock, more to come...

G

·
0 Posts
no plug for SMC?? I know the SMC and pace setter are the same, since steve designed them and pace setter bought it from him. Steve still makes the ADJUSTABLE SS and have had it in mine for over a year with the ES bushing and a nice little momo shift knob.

www.importpartsplus.com has them for you!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Alright one more stupid question from me on this topic, with these shifters can I still use my stock shift boot and knob? I an almost sure I could but you never know some times (this question has arisen from looking at the B&M shifter pic with the ulgy knob on top, I dont what it be stuck with it)

Showing my stupidity

------------------
Dan

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
nissan_dan, yeah you can still use yer stock boot and knob. IF you don't destroy your knob taking it off that is...kinda like i did.

G

·
0 Posts
I know how you feel. I ripped 2 stock knobs taking them off. Yesterday I got lucky and easily twisted the stock knob off my bro's 200sx. I placed it on my SMC short shifter no problem and it feels great.

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I believe I will be going with the Pace setter shifter. STINE can you give me a link to someone who sells the shifter bushings? Or a business name?
Darren

------------------

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
SMC Steve is a real good dude and is behind the sr20 people all the way. I've hade mine for over 40K and it is great! Can't break the damn thing!!! Ask him about his g-20.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
I have the Pacesetter and love it. The throw is super short, but it puts the location of the shift knob at the perfect height. I reused my old shift knob and screwed it on TIGHT, it doesn't move or twist at all. I had it installed one weekend, and hated the effort. I then bought the ES shifter bushing and changed tranny fluid, that took care of everything! I got it from Nopi after waiting three months for JC Whitney to get it in (which they never did!).

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
I think JC whitney sells the ES shifter bushings. Also try Import Parts Plus, ProCarParts, and Project Import.

Get an issue of Import Racer or SCC; there are usually at least a dozen vendors' ads in there with URLs listed.

Hope this helps. Someday I'll order my own

------------------
1994 SE-R Super Black
POP Charger, STB, 15" rolling stock, more to come...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts