SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I went to go test drive a 1993 NX2000 today for the first time. Man, these things are quick stock! Well, it had an exhaust kit, but that was about it I think. Dealer wants $2500 for it but will take $2000 they said. I'd probably try to get it for 1700 or 1800 anyways :p

Anyways, its got just under 109k miles on it and the interior is in like mint condition. Exterior is very nice as well, painted blue with like a small lightning bolt type of thing on each side. It has T-tops. The only defect is a small dent (~1 1/2") on the upper part of the front left quarterpanel. The paint is chipped off here and rusting, but it appeared to be only surface rust and easily repairable.

The only things wrong with the car, mechanically, that I could tell were the driver's side door lock just doesn't lock (I'm assuming an easy fix) and the speedo doesn't work, but the tach does. I'm guessing that's just a matter of replacing the cable to the transmission. Does anyone know if these use mechanical or digital speedos?

The tranny felt in good condition, as did the clutch. I was able to pop the clutch out at 5000RPM and the tires spun...no clutch slippage at all.

Overall, this car really really impressed me for being the first Nissan I've ever driven. I got a buddy (drummerforlife x) who has his '92 NX2000 and he loves it. I've worked on it quite a few times with him, and I really like the SR20DE...great engine. I would probably look into turboing it this summer at which point I would *probably* just look for a low-mileage DET for ease of installation and such. Paul and I would probably do our cars at around the same time.

Anyways, what are your opinions? To me, the car seemed in pretty good shape, and I know I'm only describing it to you...but for $2000, isn't this one hell of a deal? I mean these things are really hard to find around here!

So....to buy or not to buy?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any problem areas (mechanical/physical, anything) I should look at on these cars besides the infamous strut tower rust?

·
8,148 Posts
This sounds like a good buy because you allready have an idea of what has to be replaced. If you get it under $2000 consider yourself lucky. The dent is not a factor. The interiors usually go bad first. Espically the drivers seat. Sounds like the car was well maintained.

You are 3 steps ahead of the game.

·
8,148 Posts
B13

B14 is the 95-up Sentra/200SX

All B13 in the USA are 91-94. Overseas it is still being produced and in Mexico.

·
Registered
493 Posts
sounds like a great deal. i think any NX for under $2000 is an awesome deal.

go for it!

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
so they changed over speedos in 93 just like the se-r huh, cool. I say you lucked out man, buy it, if not buy it and i will trade you a 240,.....huh huh!! lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to look at it again today. Dealer was closed, but my friend and I were able to get inside the car cuz of the driver's side door thing :D

Anyways, there is one small spot (2" x 3" or so) on the side of the driver's seat that is a bit worn...no big deal at all of course. Besides that (and a cut on the top of the shift knob), the interior is in mint condition. The car is blue....Electric Blue Pearl? That spot I mentioned on the front left quarterpanel is even smaller than I said originally, its more like 1" and is even less deep than I had thought.

The underbody looked in pretty good shape as well, I didn't see any visible rust. I checked the strut towers in the back when we popped the trunk and there are only two minor surface rust spots just beginning to form, about the size of a nickel, each.

I guess the next thing to do is get a Carfax report on it (it says there are 15 listings). I won't sign up for this until tomorrow or so, so if any of you have an unlimited Carfax report account, would ya be willing to look it up for me? VIN is JN1GB36C2PU203375.

Now....I just have to get rid of my current car....FAST. Maybe I'll take it to a dealer tomorrow to get it appraised, but I know I won't get more than a few hundred at a dealer...I want to get at least $1300 for it :-/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, I wanted to make sure... Since you say the car has a digital speedometer, that would mean that the odometer and speedometer are independent of each other, right? Who knows how long the speedometer hasn't been working. The odometer should still be working right? I didn't check it at all on my test drive like I probably should have.

·
8,148 Posts
Does not mean that is was a total loss as structure is concerned. Just more than the insurance wanted to pay. My car was totalled twice and the damage was minor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmm...interesting. It seemed to drive straight, but then again I guess a car *can* drive straight even if it has a bent frame depending on how it was bent. Would I be better off taking it to a mechanic or a Nissan dealer to have them run a check like that (including frame straightness)?

As long as the frame is straight on this car though, its all good. I can see visually that the exterior is in good shape and the interior is mint. Engine seems at least *okay* and even if its not, I'd plan on dropping a DET in before too long ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
No, no, I know its an NX2000. Motor is an SR20DE, and the badge in the engine bay says "SR20DE 1998" etc.

I haven't a clue..somebody else said that the 1993 NX uses the electronic speedo. Which, actually, seems to be correct as I've seen quite a few other posts on these forums say that 93 intro'd the electronic speed sensor in the NX...

VIN number also matches an NX2000.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts