Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Don't buy it

Votes: 5 25.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay new to the world of the SR20, i've always liked the motor.

So should I buy this car?? Heres' the Lowdown...
92 SE-R maroon, has 183k, not just fifth gear popout but no fifth gear at all, 3rd and 4th seems like it might pop out, worn out drivers seat, ac not working, little holes in the door panels, but he said never revved past 4500 rpms (didn't know about the potential), body's straight, paint's straight, throwing in a very nice sytem, new water pump, new clutch, and everything else seems very nice.
He's asking 1500 but i might be able to talk him down a little more. So what do you guys think??

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
not just fifth gear popout but no fifth gear at all, 3rd and 4th seems like it might pop out, worn out drivers seat, ac not working,
Well I would tell him that you don't know how much the tranny will cost to fix but maybe a whole new tranny might be the only solution.

$300+ install cost on tranny. Ac fix $100 so offer him $1000 tell him it's not a spring chicken and it needs some work.

Darren;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He didn't say what's wrong with it. I think he said it was just making that squealing noise and had a mechanic check out and they told him to replace it. Remember he is the only owner of the car too.

By the way I'm located in Seattle WA...

·
Registered
19 Posts
the water pump shouldnt be an issue.....the bearing on mine went at about 180k, it probably just wore itself out after so many miles

·
Registered
862 Posts
autoxer7 said:

I can help you check it out this weekend... where's the car? Anyone else? Dan?
Yeah, I could go on Saturday, but it'd have to be before 11am. Is this car near Sunset Blvd?

BTW, I saw in Auto Trader that there's a red 91 going for $2900. Its on some used car lot, Car Trends II, in Renton. Ad says it doesn't have a scratch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay i'll ask him if i can check it out before 11 or if he's available. It's a little past sunset, I also saw the one in autotrader at car trends... that will be my 2nd option if the first one doesn't go through.

G

·
this is "SiRReal Racer", sorry dan i cant meet up with you...my modem is having technical difficulties so im using a "friends" screen name..
autoxer7 - call me up 206-356-7811

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, real sorry guys, My computer just got fixed today. Damn ATT... they went bankrupt and had to switch servers. So now my net is back up. Okay so this is what i told the guy, i just told him all i could come up with is 1200 and so let me know if you can give it up for that much. So he said he'll call me back up.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
If you buy it and fix all that is wrong, you still have a 10 year old car with 183,000 miles.

So, $300 for a tranny, probably $250 to get it installed. A/C ia $100 easy. Source some seats out of a wreck, $50-$100??

So is ~$2200 plus the time/effort wirth it to you for a car with 183,000 miles? And that's just to get it running, not running well. I'm sure the shocks are original and were busted 100,000 miles ago. Brakes probably need the once-over. In the end, I'd say ~$1,500 above the purchase price just to get it running well enough to be a good daily driver. And it still has 183K on it.

Just food for thought. Certainly would be a great project for the mechanically inclined. Then you could probably do all/most of the work yourself and save a bit. Might be worth it.

I'd tell him what has to be done to it and offer a grand.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts