SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Z28=mullett
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
should I buy this(different) classic?

ok, I've been looking for a classic in TX for like 4 months....I found one about a month ago that had a blown motor, and the guy was putting in one with 110k on it, and I kinda lost interest, along with his email address. does anyone know the guy im talking about? he had an ad up on se-r.net for a while, he lived in Mount Pleasant, TX.... anyone know this guy or his email? anyways, I found this different classic (the car looks better in person than the pics, and the interior is in awesome shape) the front bumper is kinda faded and the spoiler would need a respray. a few days ago, and went to look at/drive it today. this was the first se-r I have driven and man, it was awesome. but the problem is, the car has 170k on it. It looks decent, felt like it needed new shocks, and had an ok clutch, no 5th gear pop-out, but 170k just scares me. the engine ran great except for this weird high pitched whistle kinda noise at high rpm(~7k), it still pulls great though. the guy want 2950 OBO, so i think i can get him to maybe 2400. does this sound like a fair deal? or should i keep looking? the thing is that se-r's are SO rare here in dallas, this is like only the 2nd ive seen in 4 mos.

Thanks
Parker

·
Registered
723 Posts
ehy since you live in denton why dont you meet up with some of us tomorrow. a bunch of us are going to be at Throttle Position Motorsports at 5002 Mills Road in denton

·
Z28=mullett
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2,000 you say? whats everyones opinion on the value of this car? the blue book is 2100 in fair condition, which I'd say this car is. Is it unreasonable to pay blue book for it?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The car looks pretty good in the pics. If the guy did the maintence.right the milage should not be a problem. I've got 162k on mine and it still runs great. Took it to the K.C. geekout last week. See if the guy will let you bring it to the shop in denton and we can check it out. Call me 940-243-2900........james

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
i don't think you should be paying 2400...that's what i got my car for with 116K miles. kelly blue book and all those other sites can be a little off if the mileage is much over 100K.

i second limited slip...get it for 2K or less...or keep looking :(

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Talk him down to two g's!!!
If not then swallow your pride and get it anyways. :D
I would. I've owned 3 cars that have made it to 170 and beyond.
It all depends on how you take care of them. Just give it a hellified tune-up if you get it. And expect the basics to wear out soon, alternator, starter, blah blah blah!!GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If by blue book you mean the kelly blue book then knock of few hundred or so. I've always found kelly to be a bit on the high side. If you really want it then just bite the bullet if he won't budge. I was fortunate enough to get mine from a friend, but like you I've had a tough time tracking one down until he decided he wanted a crotch rocket instead.

·
Z28=mullett
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scratch that one

ok guys.. scratch that one. yesterday i found another! this is the only time ive ever seen 2 classics FS near me at the same time. this is a vail white '91, 86,000 miles(MUCH better, huh) this thing is in perfect shape, has a moonroof, awesome car, no 5th pop-out took for a drive and it doesnt make the squealing sound that the other made. i shifted only moderately hard and chirped 2nd hard! this one is $3995 though, and they really dont want to negotiate all that much. I thought it sounded like a great price, just wanted to hear what you guys had to say, i think i will have it by tuesday hopefully!

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
sounds like a much better investment. good luck, and never ever give up haggling! they'll budge eventually...just remind them that they are selling a sentra. maybe if they don't really know what they have, they'll go a lil lower for ya :)

happy haggling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts