SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm planning on going turbo sometime in the summer. I'm planning it since now to because I have no rush on doing it, but at the same time I can get all I need on time.

I don't have a big budget so I'm trying to find the simplest and less expensive way of going turbo.

I don't have big boost plans, I'm going humble(like 5 to 7 psi)

I would like to keep the stock ECU(if possible). Also keep stock internals, pistons, rods, etc... I would not mind to change the valves and valve springs.
I already have S4 cams, and 2.5 exhaust...

I have in mind a small turbo like a T25, make a custom manifold, etc.. Even used parts would be perfect.

Could you guys make me a list of the primary things I need to start the project.

P.S I searched but most of the posts were about big boost, and even talking about haltech and cobra maf, for now I don't have that in my plans.

ThanxxS!!!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
this was just covered like 2 days ago... search! but for starters... go to www.jgycustoms.com

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Ralphy your best bet bro is to just buy a blue bird kit from someone on the fourm. it will eb the best cheapest way you can go. After that you will need a intercoooler and water/oil lines. You will also need atleast some 370cc injectors and a S-AFC to tune the car with your factory ECU.

Alot of people have taken this route and the outcome of it is awesome. Also as for it being cheap it really isn't. It gets a bit expensive after a while. If you are calm and take your time you shoudl find everything right here for a decent price.

Here is a list:
T-25/BB manifold
IC
oil/water lines
370cc injectors
S-AFC or JWT ECU
IC piping/ couplers/ clamps
Down pipe
Walboro 255L fuel pump

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Se-Rican took the words right out of my mouth!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also was thinking buying a DE-T a friend of mine found one for about $850 w/o tranny, I think it has the DE-T ECU, ac compressor, intercooler,etc
But with that engine do I have to change the MAF???

By the way $850 is a good price???

If I get one of those what would I need??

Thankss!!

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
i havent seen them cheaper than 1200... so id say 850 is a good price if the motor is in good condition. you wont be needing the tranny anyways, you'll use your own

·
Banned
1,252 Posts
i would go with what serican said but another option for jwt is emanage and for the turbo parts contact andreas miko thats his forum name he usually has good deals on pretty complete kits.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NuttyNate said:
btw....where did your friend find this motor??

Here in Puerto Rico. Also in another place they have one for about $1000. :D

Guys its like I said before, I just want to run on the simplest setting possible for now, since I'm not too familiarized with this turbo setting thing. Of course some day I'll be getting more boost :D

But for now I like it simple and maybe not too cheap :tongue:

I think I'll be gettin a DET...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Dont do it cheap.. do it right
and dont go w/ stock ecu- unless you know how to tune safc and have the patients to work with tuning the a/f

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
seRpwr said:
Dont do it cheap.. do it right
and dont go w/ stock ecu- unless you know how to tune safc and have the patients to work with tuning the a/f

Then what ECU should b better??
The SR20DET ECU or send it to JWT.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
my opinion is to go with JWT. it is expensive but tell them what your running and everything is taken care of.

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
simple and cheap right!

going sr20det is more expensive just becuause of swapping the motor.

like stated above go with a t25 kit... you can get anyy more simple than that you can do it yourself, it doesnt take much for knowledge... jwt ecu would be the best bet! just plug and play nooo need to mess with adjustments. a t25 kit would be about 800 they top it off with a jwt ecu for about 5 for 1300 you would be totally reliable and pretty fast!

even if you went with a det for 850 you need ecu 500 someone to swap 600 downpipe 175 and basicly you would lose your simplicity.

kits are bolt on plug in and have fun! look at this http://www.turbochargedse-r.com/home.html he spent very little $$$ "Done. Total cost of the conversion came to $1,947 and some change." read where it says the great turbo intall 2002 at the bottom of page

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
sr20veb13 said:
even if you went with a det for 850 you need ecu 500 someone to swap 600 downpipe 175 and basicly you would lose your simplicity.
After actually adding a T28 kit to my own car, I'll say again it is not the cheapest way. After seeing some of your posts, I'll bet you don't even have a turbo car yet.

DET - $850
DET ECU - $100-$150 or $0 if you are getting it with the motor
Swap it Yourself - $0
Downpipe - $175, probably get one custom made for cheaper

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After my first post I've been searching a lot.
I made my descision of swaping the engine because mine has already 145,000 miles and recently I changed the valve seals and the car keeps with the blue smoke :mad:
So a newer better engine should be my ticket.

So what DET should I get?
Blue Bird
Avenir
GTiR

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
myprojectB13 said:
After actually adding a T28 kit to my own car, I'll say again it is not the cheapest way. After seeing some of your posts, I'll bet you don't even have a turbo car yet.

DET - $850
DET ECU - $100-$150 or $0 if you are getting it with the motor
Swap it Yourself - $0
Downpipe - $175, probably get one custom made for cheaper

i never claimed i had one yet.. i have alll my stuff on the way, or sitting in my garage... you know what truthfully, i have been reading about all this **** for a longg time, and i have beennn going back and fourth on swap or kit swap or kit...well when it came down to it the kit wasnt right for me because of my millage on the current de. what i have noticed is that they almost both even out to close the same price. plain and simple! there is noo cheap way to turbo the se-r along with any other car. i may not drive a turbo charged car yet but i dooo know how much it all costs and all the **** you need.

and like he said he wants simple. you think hes going to swap it himself. and using the det ecu wouldnt be bad. i just wasnt thinking about that because im getting a avenir and the b13 harness does not connect to the avenir comp, and i wasnt sure if the u12 and u13 did. cant see why they wouldnt though.

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
ralphy SE-R said:
After my first post I've been searching a lot.
I made my descision of swaping the engine because mine has already 145,000 miles and recently I changed the valve seals and the car keeps with the blue smoke :mad:
So a newer better engine should be my ticket.

So what DET should I get?
Blue Bird
Avenir
GTiR

this is my opinion from what uve posted you want out of it.

gtir not good for you, costly, and maybe over kill and can sometimes be difficult to tune in the quad throtlle bodies. avenir, charlie2020 told me can not use its ecu without major harness work. u13 you will need to buy a front mount intercooler and they are pretty costly. u12 has top mount and can be picked up for 850$

thanks
jake

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sr20veb13 said:
this is my opinion from what uve posted you want out of it.

gtir not good for you, costly, and maybe over kill and can sometimes be difficult to tune in the quad throtlle bodies. avenir, charlie2020 told me can not use its ecu without major harness work. u13 you will need to buy a front mount intercooler and they are pretty costly. u12 has top mount and can be picked up for 850$

thanks
jake

I think that a FMIC wouldn't be a major problem, I already the perfect guy for that job.
How can I identify wich one is a U12 or U13, both of them have top mounted IC?? Also what car has this engine, Bluebird??

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here is a list:
T-25/BB manifold
IC
oil/water lines
370cc injectors
S-AFC or JWT ECU
IC piping/ couplers/ clamps
Down pipe
Walboro 255L fuel pump
BUMP FROM THE DEAD :rofl:

This is going on a 2000 RR sr20 motor from a b15 sentra:

bluebird t25
bluebird manifold
j pipe
stainless steel braided oil feel line
oil line fittings
coolant lines and fittings
SAFC II
STI WRX fuel pump [believe its 190LPH]

I would be running the t25 at stock boost. Im thinking of slapping in the sti fuel pump and turning it up to 4 bar fuel pressure on the factory injectors and tuning it with the safc II. I would also like to run the bluebird top mount but im not sure it will physically fit over my motor. I would run custom piping to the throttle body. Im also looking to use the stock pipe bluebird intake pipe and blow off valve.

So with that said, what issues will I run into with that setup? Will the factory injectors do the job at 4 bar for that much boost?

What I would like to do is get the setup running [similar to how it came OEM in the bluebird] and then as I go along, upgrade things here and there like converting to a front mount. I really dont want to front mount the bluebird TMIC due to having to run extra piping and whatnot. I rather just put a low profile scoop on the hood and call it a day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts