SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to eliminate that tranny-case-cracking wheel hop as much as possible. What size should I get for a normal NA SR20? 20x8x14? 20x6x14? What size will fit on the stock B14 14" size wheels? I would probably opt to just grab some cheapy steel wheels to mount them on.

And brand? Mickey Thompson is what I've seen/heard used that is very good.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
7.1105 and 7.1106 that is the part # of the enegergy suspention motor mounts that will solve all of your problems, unless you have a 300 hp beast. I have the 7.1105s in mine (rear mount and dogbone) and have had no problems with the tranny hitting the crossmember. I do have ALOT of wheel hop if I try to slip the clutch in first on the bottle, but other than that no problems whatsoever. you have 14 inch rims? I thought that they were 15s? I would go with that latter b/c too wide will slow you down b/c you do not have that much hp to put down.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 15" wheels but have been told that we want to go to the lower end Sentra wheel size for slicks. People keep saying that slicks very easily destroy any wheel hop and some folks even with all 4 motor mounts done still get hop, so I'd thought I'd nip it in the bud that way. I've only experienced that tranny banging wheel hop once when peeling out from work with the wheels turned in my non-VLSD tranny. Did not like it at all. Never want to experience it again.

Also I really don't understand the process of "pressing out" and "pressing in" motor mounts. I've got a floorjack and can prop the motor up with a block of wood, but don't know how to continue from there. I've read everything on it, but I don't know what a "press" is that you use to get them out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The stock mounts inserts must be pressed out(dogbone&passenger). The ES motor mount inserts must be pressed in. The inserts go into the mount which must be removed before pressing the inserts in. The firewall and tranny(driverside) are puzzle pieces that just fit in-no need to press in. You really dont need a press, but it is very helpful. Install time: dogbone(15min.)firewall(15-30min.)tranny(15min.) didnt do passenger side.

Fred

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
A press is like a jack going down usualy. Its something that will exert alot of pressure on the inserts to remove them. The ghetto away around this is, This what I have heard I have never done this, You have been warned this is one way of doing this and could be the wrong way I am in no way responsible for any injuries or accidents that may happen, with that aside.

I heard one way of doing the inserts are. To torch the old ones out with like a butane torch and break them up. They can be a bitch to get out. Then you can use a 2x4 and a bench vise to press in the new inserts or jack up a car and put them under a tire and slowly lower the car :) Not the most scientific way of doing it but from what I have heard either way is pretty easy. Im thinking about doing them this summer if I get a job. Im sure my 93's are getting pretty crappy. Dont think any of them are falling apart yet, no loud clunks or moving engine, but figure it wouldnt be bad to do.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aha! I think I get the "ES Inserts" thing now. Lemme see if I got it right. ES makes these inserts, NOT full motor mounts, to go in these spaces in the mounts:

REAR MOUNT

DRIVER'S MOUNT

And the other two don't have the spaces to insert the ES thingies? Or am I still in the dark?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, there are little plate thingies that go over the whole mount on each side, making them solid. did you pull out your mounts just to ask a question?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not only did I pull them out, but I went and picked up some new ones to compare to, and then take the new ones back! :) LOL

Actually see the motor mount extravaganza on se-r.net :)

Do the ES inserts come with instructions?

So there are 2 levels of strengthening your motor mounts: the JWT mounts which are solid as a rock, or the ES inserts that help a ton but aren't as harsh as the JWT ones and are easier to install, correct?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think you summed it up Ben.
The driver side and firewall are inserts that fit in(puzzle piece).
The dogbone and passenger are replacement inserts(pressed in).

Fred

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh yeah, the ES aren't as solid as the JWT kit. But my friend loves the back rub when he drives my Sentra. I only have the ES 7-1105(dogbone/firewall) kit.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like it would just require relieving the load on the mounts by jacking up the engine, removing the mount, and replacing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts