SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I just got home from getting a set of 20" slicks on se-r 14" wheels from Ben Moses at Ben Davis's house ( and Ben Davis is expecting a little one anyday now so lets all wish him and Wendy the best as they are due Friday). Anyway my questions are 1. Whats a good tire preasure to start with on a 20" slick? I'm guessing it wont be to low being it has no sidewall to wrinkle. I swear it looks like a 195/35/ R14 or so. I'm going to have hellacious fender gap. So much I've been thinking of throwing the B13 sentra springs back on for the extra 1/2" drop. I'm sure the slight foward rake will help a bit too as I had better 60' times with these on before I put the NX springs on. But it handles better with the NX springs. Hmmmm, now question 2. What is a good launch RPM to start at with these on? on Azenis I had best luck around 4k. I've never used slicks before so this is all new to me other than what I've read. I'm guessing 6k or so but that seems to be for people running a 22" slick. With a 20" Im afraid at 6k I'll burn it up as it has less surface to cover. I'm hoping for a 13.9 NA this friday :D Please any ideas will help me as of now it's me thinking on my own again and that get's scary. lol

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Nick--

Ben Moses' old slicks, eh? IIRC...they lose pressure slowly, so just keep an eye on them. To answer your questions;
-Start at 16psi of air pressure and go down from there. Every car and every track likes something different. Take notes about what works best. I feel that somewhere around 13-14psi will be the best.
-Launching: I launch at 5,250rpm on 22" slicks. I've never launched on 20" slicks, but would imagine on a NA car 5,000rpm will be a good place to start. Each run, raise the RPMs up by 500 until the car spins.
-Wheel gap: This is cosmetic, and should be ignored. Form over function. You're there to get an ET.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SERprise In WV said:
Nick--

Ben Moses' old slicks, eh? IIRC...they lose pressure slowly, so just keep an eye on them. To answer your questions;
-Start at 16psi of air pressure and go down from there. Every car and every track likes something different. Take notes about what works best. I feel that somewhere around 13-14psi will be the best.
-Launching: I launch at 5,250rpm on 22" slicks. I've never launched on 20" slicks, but would imagine on a NA car 5,000rpm will be a good place to start. Each run, raise the RPMs up by 500 until the car spins.
-Wheel gap: This is cosmetic, and should be ignored. Form over function. You're there to get an ET.

Good luck and have fun.

Yeah they do lose air but its real slow, They have gone from 22psi to 19 and 18 or so in the last 14 hours. I dont knoew if it'll go faster once they are on the car but if not it should be fine for the couple hours I have them on. Thanks for the recomendations. I know the gap is cosmetic and it will be ignored but it's still there. :redface:

·
grease monkey
1,386 Posts
i also just used 20in mt's on ser wheels on my nx at the track,i had mine set at 15-16psi ad they worked good,i launched at 3500 w/ the stock suspension,and cut a 1.9 60ft,but i soon as i stiffened up the rear at 3500 the car would bog,and i would get 2.1 60ft's my car is also turbo though,i would start at 4000 and work it from there.i love the small slicks theres apic of my nx ww/ them on in the drag racing forum under my neighbor zexynx lays the smack down,a friend posted the pic for me.major wheel gap,lol.i ran a 13.1 @ 107 w/ the slicks and a t25,good luck let us know

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have 20x6x14 MT drags on my old se-r rims too. For me the best launch comes with a 13-14psi tire pressure, and dumping the clutch around 5500-5800rpm. I was able to cut a 1.90 60' with a 5600rpm dump. However I do have an act clutch so YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts