SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from the drag strip, and god dayum I love slicks. :) I wasnt able to hit a 13.9 like I had hoped, but the car was launching hard and with an ignition miss it still ran a 14.377, THe car was sputtering and bucking a little. I know it needs plugs as they were toasted , the car was runing rich as hell too. I think I need to check the MAF ground. I need a cap and rotor for it also as they are the same ones that were on my old motor two years ago. They look a little fried too. Anyway here is my slip of me and an early 90's mustang cobra.

---------me--------------stang
rt------.771-------------.712
60'----1.989-------------2.224
330---5.889-------------6.059
1/8---9.061-------------9.198
mph---75.75------------78.16
1000---11.987----------11.939
1/4----14.377-----------14.259
mph----94.74------------97.63

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good times man. I need some damn slicks myself. What rpm do you launch at and wat was the tire psi?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
about 5.5-6k dumping it, its different than azenis for sure. I had them at 15psi. when they werent keeping up on track prep well I was getting 2.3's ewwww It was nice feelingdo you guys do burnouts in the waterbox or no? I did all night but I dont know if I should have, I figured since it was so cold I should but once the track is warmer maybe I'll go for quick burnouts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What size rim and slicks were you using? Do times nonetheless.
Late,
KEN

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are a 20x6x14 on classic wheels the azenis are almost 23 inches overall diameter so the difference in the size should help too but I think it only helped as much as the poor drivability took away, so hopefully a tune up will take care of it and I'll be back next Fri.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Told you that you would like them, Nick. :tongue:

I predict you'll crack the 13s on the next outing.

-GP-

·
old school
504 Posts
Good job. I used those same slicks on a different car I had. I had the best 60 fts at 12 psi with a light burnout after rolling through the water box. 12 psi was as low as I could go though. Even at that pressure, it feels sloppy when you get near the traps and I lost some speed. Somewhere between 12 and 15 I think is best but that depends on the track too.

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
hey what gear were you in when, burning out in the box? i plan on using slicks for my first time this saturday....and i dont wanna look like a newb, lol...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the problem, I checked the maf ground ohms resistance and it varies between 1.8-4.2ohms depending on where the probe is placed on the motor. I knew it everytime this car runs like **** it's the Maf ground, everytime single time. So I'm going to re wire it tomorrow before I got to the track, I wish my test pipe I ordered would show up. At least I got the tune up done it was needed the car has sat since November. I put new NGK plugs in the old ones had a ton of white deposits on them which leads me to believe I need to retard the timing a bit. I got a new rotor and cap, which was fun I broke the 8mm on the rotor. So after getting it out I had no more 8mm bolts left that were short enough so I broke the dremel out and cut one. I also put a new fuel filter in. I left the wires as I just put new OEM wires on last summer, they should have pleanty of life in them. The car is leaking a bit of oil from the VC so I may pull the cover tommorrow and RTV that all up. It's been leaking into the plug wells too on cyl 3. Ive put a new gasket set in but it still does it. It fouls the 3rd plug up untill it gets warm and burns the oil out. I'm hoping for better times tommorrow. We'll see, I've almost got enough money saved up for my turbo project now too. :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as far as the burnouts go I pull into the box and lift the ebrake handle and let off the clutch fast at 4k or so in first, and let the ebrake down and keep on the gas untill I feel it hook up as it pulls out of the box. I want to experement with a no burnout launch tommorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts