SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the 96's are slower than other SE-R's. What's up with that? I think my car is in pretty good tune. If anyone knows something about this a few comments would be appreciated. TIA

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Why would they be slower?

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
My Page

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
WOW! Borguesian?? I guess you weren't around awhile back on the SE-R list for this controversy. It's actually called "Slow Ass '96 Syndrome."

The controversy goes, that the 96 200sx SE-R's are slower than the rest of the years. Something about compression ratios I think it was. If you really wanna get info, check the archives and type in "slow ass 96 syndrome."

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES Bushings, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
So if that were true, would changing the cams remedy this?

------------------
96 se-r with a few goodies

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Well that reeeaaalllyyy sucks!

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
My Page

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Get the S4 cams. </font>
Haha, hold on let me cross my arms and give a little wink and maybe some money or even the s4s will apear in front of me
. I want them, but thats hard for me being in highschool and only making $5.15/hr!!! Man that pay sucks. Plus I got a new relationship starting up
and I need some money to take out ma girlie, ya know what I mean... Next year I'll be making double maybe even triple that! Next year will be the year of speed

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
My Page

·
Registered
466 Posts
I found my compression was at 210psi. Its supposed to be 178psi. After I put a '93 intake cam in, compression was 180psi. The 9whp it gave me wasn't bad either.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I want to put in this cam really bad now. Do all 96's have this or just some? I know mine came off the assembly line late in the model run, right before they started making 97's. I am hoping that I can find a cheap exhaust cam to drop in too (Primera maybe??). This will allow me to get some benefit from cams without buying more expensive JWT's, and the ECU. I would buy the JWT stuff, but my suspension is shot, and I'm budgeting for the upgrade.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My buddy has a '96 with a setup exactly like Jordan's se-r except he has S3 cams, jwt ecu, ACT clutch, courtesy exhaust w/stock muffler, and HS 1st gen headers. He ran a [email protected] last Friday. This was with full interior, spare and jack in trunk, and on 16" rims w/Kumhos. I think the cams may play a big role.

Fred
99 Sentra SE

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Thats it.... I need cams. Time to start pinchin pennies!

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Yeah I heard about that from jay when we were at a little se-r meet down in jersey, etown to be exact. There was a guy there running 16.1 in his 96. I pulled up in my 96 with a bunch of thing in my trunk, I had golf clubs and a cooler, and some little things and I ran a 15.5 in the 80 degree weather with an air filter. Jay said it was this syndrome with the cams, not many where made like this in 96 but there are some out there. They are pretty slow because of this and I feel for the people who have these cars. When I put the s4's in my car took a nice little jump into reality. If you have this syndrome I would highly recommend a cam swap and the s4's are pretty nice. I felt a big difference, imagine what you will feel with a big jump from slow ass syndrome to fast ass disease.

Mark Merliss
96 SR20 SE-R

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Yeah I heard about that from jay when we were at a little se-r meet down in jersey, etown to be exact. There was a guy there running 16.1 in his 96. I pulled up in my 96 with a bunch of thing in my trunk, I had golf clubs and a cooler, and some little things and I ran a 15.5 in the 80 degree weather with an air filter. Jay said it was this syndrome with the cams, not many where made like this in 96 but there are some out there. They are pretty slow because of this and I feel for the people who have these cars. When I put the s4's in my car took a nice little jump into reality. If you have this syndrome I would highly recommend a cam swap and the s4's are pretty nice. I felt a big difference, imagine what you will feel with a big jump from slow ass syndrome to fast ass disease.

Mark Merliss
96 SR20 SE-R

·
Registered
466 Posts
I raced my fiancee in her car last night. We were both in 3rd gear about 3000rpm. We both punched it and I got the jump on her, but didn't pull. I was happy about this. I don't have my JWT ECU or the CAI in and my timing is at 15deg. Her car has a '91 intake cam, HS header, POP and 19 deg timing. I have a HS header, '93 intake cam,Courtesy bpipe w/ OE muffler, and a OE airbox upside down.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NoVTECSER:
I raced my fiancee in her car last night. We were both in 3rd gear about 3000rpm. We both punched it and I got the jump on her, but didn't .</font>
Damn i need to get me one of those...the woman, lol. I want one that will race me too dammti!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts