SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I can't drive 55
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the deal is my 91 beater won't pass smog. It is so damn close it just pisses me off. Everything seems to be in check. I cleaned the EGR, new plugs wires, cap, rotor, new cat, cleaned the AIV, Seafoamed the pistons, Replaced the egr tube. Wow what a list.... Anyways.... I pass the rollers test @ 15 mph... My problem is with the 25 mph test .... I pass everything except the NOX test being MAX 764 MEASURED 779... Other than that car runs like new.... Any advise would be helpful or someone that will just hook me up for couple of Franklins? I want to start my det swap and need to just this car back on the road.... Any help would be appreciated .. OMG its earth day to boot.... Should have known.... LOL

·
Registered
361 Posts
one bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol should get you there.

·
fan boys suck!!!
1,719 Posts
have u driving your car like 30 mins @ or around 70ish and and then kept it on runnin while waiting for it to get smogged??this is what i had to do...my nox was high and plus my egr wasnt working(wasnt moving up and down at all) and i still passed

·
3 wheelin'
436 Posts
Methanol and Ethanol both mix with gas and burn much cleaner. Some rubber components may be destroyed by them, so extended use is not recommended. Run the fuel tank down to almost empty. Add 1 or 2 gallons of Ethanol or Methanol. If the car idles or runs rough, add some gasoline untill the idle is smooth again. Have the car tested. After the test fill the tank with gasoline and drive it to remove as much of the alcohol as possible. Most large hardware stores will have Methanol or Denatured Ethanol. Do NOT use other types of alcohols such as Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol).
Information I used in the past and got an old E32 to pass smog in CA. Failed twice before and was told I'd need to change out both CAT converters. Went back with a tank of Denatured Alchol and the tech could not believe it passed. :eek2: Never told him what I did. :D

·
I can't drive 55
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx

Well I am kinda confused? I see a few ppl saying that rubbing alcohol should get me there as long as its 91%... So should 1 bottle be for 1/4 tank 1/2 tank ??? If I have an idea of how much to run I will give it a try again.

Not sure about this quote ?
Methanol and Ethanol both mix with gas and burn much cleaner. Some rubber components may be destroyed by them, so extended use is not recommended. Run the fuel tank down to almost empty. Add 1 or 2 gallons of Ethanol or Methanol. If the car idles or runs rough, add some gasoline untill the idle is smooth again. Have the car tested. After the test fill the tank with gasoline and drive it to remove as much of the alcohol as possible. Most large hardware stores will have Methanol or Denatured Ethanol. Do NOT use other types of alcohols such as Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol).

This says not to use rubbing alcohol???
I still think its worth a try if someone can guesstimate the ratio of alcohol to gas for me.... Thanx for all the input....

·
I can't drive 55
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much?

So can anyone give me an idea of how much gas should be in the tank when I put that bottle of rubbing alcohol in? I would appreciate it... thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
This month's SportsCar (SCCA rag) has an ad for CRC Guaranteed to Pass emissions Test Formula additive. Instructions are 1, Add to full gas tank. 2. Drive until empty, refuel. 3. Pass test.
Pass your emissions test or double your money back.

99% Isoprophyl alcohol will work, NOT rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
what you need is ethanol(denatured alcohol). You can pick up a gallon of it at a hardware store. Ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline, it also has a higher octane rating. How effective is it when it comes to smog? I don't know and other don't either unless they have accesses to a smog testing unit and have conducted some tests to determine how much ethanol does effect smog. There are also other variables that I won't get into since It requires to much writing.

Here are some sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

·
3 wheelin'
436 Posts
Again...Do not use rubbing alcohol. It will dry out your rubber seals and gaskets. Denatured alco hol will do the trick. Just go to home depot and go to the paint thinners. You'll find a quart there for like $5. Mix that with a 1/4 tank of gas and get it smogged. I did this to get a 750il with a set of bad catalytic converters to pass.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts