SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody swapped in a DE-t and gotten it to be smog legal? I live in california and have been thinking about the sway but i would like my car to be legal with out having to pay for the jwt turbo kit

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice to see more Fresno folk on this board.
As for getting the DET to be smog legal in Cali theres absolutely no way unless the whole Motorex thing comes through. The DET will pass the sniffer but as for the visual you're gonna have to probably slip a few bucks to the shop to get it done. I have heard of some shops up here that will do it though.

Mel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you go through the whole referee thing it is still not possible? my understanding was that if it passed the sniffer that a referee station would ok it but thats why i'm asking. How do turbo kits become smog legal?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fresno in da house!!

I was thinking of doing a DET swap also. Gonna sell everything NA (cheap) to help out w/ the swap funds. If the DET could pass the sniffer test that will be great, as for the visual, I'm pretty sure I could find a smog station that will let me slip through.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Eibach Sportline Springs, Place Racing CAI, HKS Super Drager Exhaust, Hotshot G4 Header
http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Tony when are you planning on going turbo? Also are you gonna do the swap yourself? I'm thinking about getting it done too. Either that or go all the bolt ons hooked up to a jdm primera motor. And I'm pretty sure there are some shops that up here that will say "visual? whats that?"

Marc

·
Registered
220 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel E Bog:
Hey Tony when are you planning on going turbo? Also are you gonna do the swap yourself? I'm thinking about getting it done too. Either that or go all the bolt ons hooked up to a jdm primera motor. And I'm pretty sure there are some shops that up here that will say "visual? whats that?"

Marc
</font>
Well hopefully by late December or January. I will probably take the car down to a shop that has done it before. Preferably SR20Development, *IF* they can get it done pretty quick so I can take the car back home. I can't really drop off the car for a month and pick it up, need my car for work and stuff. Hopefully the whole cost isn't too much. Maybe get a clutch while the motor is out also. Like I mentioned, I will sell everything on my sig, to help out w/ the funds. If you or know anyone who wants it, email me at [email protected] will give you a good deal (but has to be reasonable!
).

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Eibach Sportline Springs, Place Racing CAI, HKS Super Drager Exhaust, Hotshot G4 Header

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually I'm seriously leaning toward going turbo around the same time. Kenshi's in Hanford does pretty good jobs from what I hear. He's supposed to be doing 2 240's by the end of the year I think. I'll see how his work is when they get done so most likely I'll get it done there. I might know someone who'll buy your header though.

Mel

·
Registered
220 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel E Bog:
Actually I'm seriously leaning toward going turbo around the same time. Kenshi's in Hanford does pretty good jobs from what I hear. He's supposed to be doing 2 240's by the end of the year I think. I'll see how his work is when they get done so most likely I'll get it done there. I might know someone who'll buy your header though.

Mel
</font>
That's cool. Well he'd better hurry up, cuz I think freznokawi125 is gonna buy my header. As far as that shop in Hanford, I might consider it, but only problem is how long they take I guess. I'll give SR20Development a call to see how long they take, and their pricing.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R

Soon to be STOCK!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts