SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install the Stillen Pop Charger air intake, Stillen 4-2-1 header, and a aftermarket exhaust(either custom made or a bolt on "Greddy" maybe). Am I going to be able to pass smog in California? I have a 91 G20 by the way and the car is mostly stock. And if I go with a custom made cat back exhaust what size of piping is the best of my application? Dose anyone know a good muffler shop here in the Bay Area? Thanks.

------------------
Nelson
"What is a G20 stands for?" G-spot 20x.........

·
Registered
404 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nelam:
I am going to install the Stillen Pop Charger air intake, Stillen 4-2-1 header, and a aftermarket exhaust(either custom made or a bolt on "Greddy" maybe). Am I going to be able to pass smog in California? I have a 91 G20 by the way and the car is mostly stock. And if I go with a custom made cat back exhaust what size of piping is the best of my application? Dose anyone know a good muffler shop here in the Bay Area? Thanks.

</font>

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You'll pass emissions at the tailpipe but might fail the visual inspection unless you get paperwork from Stillen to clear the POP and header.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
404 Posts
oops sorry about that....you won't pass the visual, unless you have a 50 state legal header, I don't know if stillen's intake is 50 states legal, but with the exhaust you should be able to get away with. **why did you go with stillen on the header i heard they crack really easy, Hotshot does a really good header or AEBS.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by enjoyDride:
</font>

------------------
92'xe/w-primera swap
working on built motor for some NOZ

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How can I get the certificate from Stillen? Can I just pay the tech, under table to pass the visual?

It seems extremely stupid to me that if I can pass the sniff but couldn't pass the visual. What is the big deal on the visual test? Stupid state law...........

------------------
Nelson

[This message has been edited by nelam (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
There should be a sticker that came with the intake and header that you can put on your car so that the tech knows they're legal. I'm positive the intake is CARB legal, not sure about the header. I would start by calling Stillen.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's California homie the ****'n laws are as anal as they get over here. It should have a calif cert sticker if the intake and header are 50 state legal, if your not sure call stillen and ask them.UOTE]Originally posted by nelam:
How can I get the certificate from Stillen? Can I just pay the tech, under table to pass the visual?

It seems extremely stupid to me that if I can pass the sniff but couldn't pass the visual. What is the big deal on the visual test? Stupid state law...........

[/QUOTE]

------------------
92'xe/w-primera swap
working on built motor for some NOZ

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
dude get the inspection, and then install the stuff. Then youll have like a year to enjoy the stuff before you have to worry about it again. Right? But i dont know about cali emissions. thank god

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ay homie,
look this is what you do because cali and emissions are a bunch or assholes unless you know the person at the smog station or bar. Just wait to install all your **** and get it smogged then put your stuff on and make sure you keep your parts so in case you get pulled over and have to go to the ref. you can just put all your stock stuff back on. trust me down here in san diego i had my smog done last month and the guy wouldn't do my smog just because he was scared he would get fired and i had the carb approval sticker under the hood. dumb ****!! But the stillen intake should come with this sticker about the other things i don't know. hope this helps. also if you are renewing your plates you have 2 years before your next smog unless you get pulled over. drive fast and watch out for dumbasses.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's so pain in the ass. I don't want to pull out all the **** before the smog after I install it nicely in place. It is just a pain to install and uninstall too much work.
Anyway, I think it is the best to find someone will do it under table.

------------------
Nelson

·
Registered
404 Posts
your looking at around 2 bills but don't *quote me*..good luck
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nelam:

Anyway, I think it is the best to find someone will do it under table.

</font>

------------------
92'xe/w-primera swap
Soon to be NOZ fed

·
Registered
166 Posts
I took my se-r in for a smog to some mid eastern guy fully loaded.Intake, header, exhaust,Msd,nology.he didnt know what the hell he was looking at.so he put it on the machine It passed out the pipe so It was kool..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, where is that mid eastern guy located at? 91SE-R.

Let me know, I am located in the Bay Area too.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You are toooooo lucky. I plan to remove my header when I get mine smogged</font>
Things aren't *that* bad. sheesh. They really aren't Nazi's ok?

Ask around some performance shops local to you, and see if you can get a recommendation for a "friendly" shop that will be mellow on the visual inspection. I took my car in with an intake (stillen) and header and the guy ignored the header and intake and only complained about the AIV filter. Stillen told me my intake was 50 state legal, but I bought the car with it already on and apparently the guy I bought it from installed the intake before it was legal. So I put a stock intake back in and went to the same exact guy who again ignored the header.

My point is, yes, smog is a pain in the ass here but it's not really that bad. My beater subaru wagon made it through smog just because my cat had a huge leak in it and most of the exhaust was coming out of that instead of the tailpipe. The tech stood there, watching raw exhause waft from under the car and passed the car cuz everything looked fine under the hood and the sniffer didn't complain. I thought that was a lot lamer than having to replace my intake. Just roll with it and get it over with, there's lots of other **** to worry about in life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts