SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some people, including aknapp(fellow richmond area nx-er) say they've seen some smoke from the exhaust when i gas it heavily. is this smoke oil smoke? or is it just carbon? people are telling me different things....

·
Registered
145 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 92nx2k:
some people, including aknapp(fellow richmond area nx-er) say they've seen some smoke from the exhaust when i gas it heavily. is this smoke oil smoke? or is it just carbon? people are telling me different things....</font>
white smoke>>>coolant
blue smoke>>>oil
black smoke>>>rich

hmmm...I think that's right

oh yeah...a further breakdown of blue smoke...

during decelleration...valve guides
during acceleration....rings

feel free to add/change/dismiss any info I have provided

------------------
-----------Josh

'93 NX2000

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i thought about all of what youve said before, but i cant see my smoke. i guess i havent fully assessed this prob yet lol. but if its oil, im screwed. it is during accel, so that mean piston o-rings engine rebuild time!
-by the way, nice response time! such celerity....is what we need in this forum!
------------------
92' NX 2k..Weapon-R intake(with cold air extension),arospeed exhaust, arospeed plug wires, AGX adjustables all the way around, eibach sportline, 17" enkei RP05's with dunlop w-10 sport tires.

[This message has been edited by 92nx2k (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
145 Posts
but if its oil, im screwed. </font>
do you have to add a lot of oil between changes???

you should be able to tell if it is using a lot of oil...you don't need to see the smoke

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[This message has been edited by 92nx2k (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i change oil i guess im about a half a quart low. i change ATLEAST every 3k miles. so i guess im burning a lil bit

------------------
92' NX 2k..Weapon-R intake(with cold air extension),arospeed exhaust, arospeed plug wires, AGX adjustables all the way around, eibach sportline, 17" enkei RP05's with dunlop w-10 sport tires.

·
Registered
145 Posts
when i change oil i guess im about a half a quart low. i change ATLEAST every 3k miles. so i guess im burning a lil bit

</font>
that's not bad at all...especially if you do a lot of spirited driving...

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
really? yea ive got 135k miles on her...and i drive ALOT and i push her hard a little more than the average driver...(but of course, its an NX!). thanks alot nx2kPA

·
Registered
145 Posts
really? </font>
I consider it normal to consume SOME oil at high rpms...what do others think?

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
i think the sr20de has some missing oil sindrome too ? i remember reading some thing about it on se-r.net a long time ago.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would think that the MISSING OIL SYNDROME would be a potential cause of a loss of power in the engine also. Yes...no??
I suppose it also depends where the buildup of oil-gunk is.
-steve

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well there are many causes for the missing oil. good deal of it is left in the oil pan, some in the head, then burn a little. if you see lots of rpm's for extended times then you will burn some. it usualy gets burned because its entering the intake from some of the breathers. if you are only half a quart low then i wouldnt worry too bad. rule of thumb is if you use a quart every 500 rebuild time
. one thing to remember is the ecu fattens up the fuel and retards timeing upon tipin. so when you floor it, it goes full retard and fattens up the fuel for a few seconds then it feeds timing back in and leans it out a bit. so it could be from that. sorta like honda's go full rich at WOT and its very evident when a honda is flooring it.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
Hey Aaron (92nx2k), call me, we can swap cars, you follow me in mine, and I'll floor it in yours and let you see what it looks like. Plus, you can drive a REAL NX w/5sp! (j/k)

Just be careful wif mah baby!

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks al! and ill help ya with those things ya wanted me to help you with on ur nx a few weeks ago. long time no talk buddy...
let's try friday's again, this time its on me. bring a friend if youd like..

------------------

[This message has been edited by 92nx2k (edited 10-18-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts