SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... the throttle sticks wide open and your teenage daughter shifts into neutral. You guessed it - very bad, very loud mechanical sounds. It wasn't her fault that the throttle stuck but it scared her and instead of turning off the ignition she popped it into neutral. She was planning to buy her own car at college graduation next April and I would get my SE-R back. Not whining here, just mourning. Anyone ever heard of the throttle sticking like this? I drove out to where she parked along the free way and the pulley closest to the motor that holds the cable was indeed rotated way back toward the pass. side as if the gas pedal was floored. I had some penetrating oil w/ me and shot some on the shaft and it rotated back but when I started it and brought the revs up a little for a to test, at about 2500 rpm, it just stuck again so I shut it down. Motor is definitely junk though - anything above 1500 rpm, big rod knocking sound.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Mr. McCoy, for the advice and for your gracious offer - I'll check it out and get back to you. I had a lot of help from you guys on this forum so I'm giving you a warning about what caused this. I worked up enough courage to lift the hood in the light of day and try to figure out what happened. Mystery solved - the cable is frayed right where it goes through the firewall - some of the broken strands dug into the inside of the cable sheath and made the cable hang up in the open throttle position. You wouldn't see this unless you grab the cable sheath a pull away from the firewall, exposing the cable itself. Yikes!! Hope everyone reads this and checks their cable. My son has an SE-R and I'm going to immediately replace his.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
yup..buddy with a 91 down here had that happen to him.. it was so bad i was following him on to I-85 and he took off down the exit ramp so i thought i would play along.. until he dives for the emergency lane and i nearly rear end him...

bad throttle cable. replaced, no more problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the valve over off this morning and all of the rocker arms seem to be very much intact. I'm assuming that if one or more of the rocker arms are not in pieces, the news is just as bad as I thought it was. T or F?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts