SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Beware the Classic"
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far everything is fine, no weird metal to metal grinding, but the only thing that bothers me is the "not-so-perfect" installation for my Progress rear sway bar.

I like the turning, less roll for sure but I'm unsure about this...

Installation:

Removing the stock sway bar

Stock swaybar was bolted to bracket in lower part of strut housing

Mounting the progress bar

Right side (notice how the L-bracket of the bar is connected to the radial arm instead of the shock/strut housing like the stock one was)

Results :redface:

Left side (L-bracket not parallel with ground)

Right side (L-bracket needs adjustment as well)

Stiff/Soft Settings

The left side could only reach the first hole, the "softest" setting

The right side could reach only the middle hold, the "mid" setting

How will the differing settings of the driver's side and passenger's side affect the car? Also, how will the unparallel w/ ground floor L-brackets affect it?

So far, I feel nothing wrong and the car definitely has less roll compared with just the road magnets. Any experts care to put input on the negative effects of the somewhat improper installation?

*Note: Before I found the instructions, the mechanic tried to install it like the stock sway bar, with the end links bolting on to the shock/strut housings.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts

·
"Beware the Classic"
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The driver's side bushing goes on the other side of the mount. If you look at the picture of the stock sway bar, that's how the Progress goes. Driving the car with the bar installed like you have it, will result in this: http://www.sr20forum.com/chassis-su...ing-bracket-driver-side-during-track-day.html
I verified to check in the installation pdf file provided at progressauto.com. You are correct sir! http://www.progressauto.com/ecom/download/62.1509.pdf

Thank you very much eric, I'll get this fixed ASAP!!

EDIT:: Driver side bushing orientation has now been directed to the other side of the bracket (front of bracket towards front of car). This allowed for the end links to both bolt up to the "middle stiff setting" holes of the swaybar ends. Tested the car, and found it to have less roll. Flicking the steering wheel aggressively causes possible rear sliding and oversteer, but I have not yet tried to oversteer on public roads; I just tried it on a hard left turn and felt that the rear can break loose (mission accomplished; this oversteer was what I wanted :))

·
"Beware the Classic"
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone here got an alignment after installing the rear sway bar? Is it necessary?

·
Bitter Old Man
2,637 Posts
300/200 springs and the Progress bars (softest front, stiffest rear) netted me some nice controllabe four-wheel drifts on Kumho Victoracers at Streets of Willow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.