SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The search for a clean 03-04 M45 with the options I wanted was going absolutely nowhere, so I started considering other options. When I drove it, I had to have it.

They have notorious wheelhop issues that can end in a shattered differential, so it might as well be a B series Nissan, right? :D

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Dude...im swinging by...

I wanted one but knew the price plus insurance wouldnt work for the most part. Those are really pretty cars...that haul balls.

Plus I dont know how I fit in one :)

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come on through. :) It's been a while, plus it would be a good excuse to go see your dad.

·
Weekend Warrior
4,491 Posts
- Nice whip Swiss! You still have the other two SRpowered cars?

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 at the moment,lol. :)

I've got the red rocket, the white 200sx, and the black 200sx. The plan as of now, is to ditch the black b14 (it's in rough shape), return the white b14 to relatively stock as a practical spare driver, and use the nice parts (pistons/rods, p11 trans, etc) to build the b12.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Oh....how much you want for the black car? i know a coworker wanting a daily driver with good mileage that is still fun. I might could get it sold for you sooner than later :). As long as its reliable enough ;)

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, for the first few years they tried attacking the problem with bushings and braces, none of which really cured the wheelhop (and most of which added a lot of NVH). GM ended up revising the diff several times in attempts to make it stronger. A lot of the earlier duffs got replaced (mine has the newer diff), but even those won't last if you just let it hop.

Finally, in the last year or so, an aftermarket company picked up on something that GM was doing to combat wheel hop in the newer ctsv's:

http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/product.sc?productId=53&categoryId=1

Those are really effective, and cure hop in almost all scenarios (may still hop at the track, wet pavement, etc). I'm going to get some when the warranty expires in Nov. Until then, getting a new diff would be a bonus. Ironically enough, I'm sure they would void the warranty if it broke with the aftermarket axles installed.

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh....how much you want for the black car? i know a coworker wanting a daily driver with good mileage that is still fun. I might could get it sold for you sooner than later :). As long as its reliable enough ;)
Hoping for around 1k. I think that's fair. Mechanically it's pretty sound, but the exterior aesthetics are pretty bad. I was thinking it would make an awesome track car for someone.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Since he moved and we no longer work from home he has like a 25 mile commute each way and his ranger is not as good on gas as he would like. He wants something small and fun he says. he keeps going back to celica's i just cant get him to realize that they are rust buckets now, he likes the older ones, non angular ones.

Ill plant the seed and see what he says

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Hoping for around 1k. I think that's fair. Mechanically it's pretty sound, but the exterior aesthetics are pretty bad. I was thinking it would make an awesome track car for someone.
:( I just went with a friend to buy a car for his sister last weekend and she bought a Corolla. If I knew you were looking to sell the B14, I would have pointed her in your direction.

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't know if you have seen that car in the last few years... its gone down hill considerably.

I think the prime candidate for this car would be someone looking for a beater track car (lemons, rallyx, dirt track, etc) or someone in a pinch who needs a cheap car fast (other car just died or whatever). Whoever buys it need have absolutely no shame. He'll, I'm embarrased driving that thing around and I have a pretty high tolerance for driving beaters.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Looking at the car she bought, it can't be that bad.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Blah...its not rusting thats the big thing. Oxidizing paint is no big deal. Get me some details in an email or something Dave and I might have it sold. he liked the price. If it still runs as well as it once did I cant see why he wouldnt want it. Or so I think at this point...

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, will do. It does have rust by the way. It was originally a PA car, so it has some in the door jambs and surface rust on the radiator support. It was that way when I got it though, and hasn't gotten any worse over the past six years. No rotted wheel wells or anything.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts