SR20 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i cant imagine the 3.6 being fun at drive at all! what did you pay, like 22-25K?
$19k. :)

It's an 04 with 45k, so that's actually book value. It's immaculately clean though. Most of the 04s Are starting to get up there in miles.

This one's had two owners- first owner in Chattanooga kept it until about 40k, second owner in Athens Ga only had it for a year and a half and drove it sparingly. He has an old explorer DD, so it was just a pleasure car. It was always garaged. Unfortunately, it will live outside now, but I'll take good care of it.

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I had to drive it home in the rain and it's supposed to be raining again this weekend. When I catch some good weather, I'll clean it up and get some proper pics. It's actually pretty nasty in the pic above, but it was overcast and the color hides it pretty well.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Gotta love silver. Whether you spend 1 hr or 1 day on it, it looks the same.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
This is true...why im liking the silver FJ.

and silver, or black was the only way to go for a cts-v. seriously jealous right now...thats less than i found them for. if i knew id fit in one i would have looked a lot harder

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Yeah, for the first few years they tried attacking the problem with bushings and braces, none of which really cured the wheelhop (and most of which added a lot of NVH). GM ended up revising the diff several times in attempts to make it stronger. A lot of the earlier duffs got replaced (mine has the newer diff), but even those won't last if you just let it hop.

Finally, in the last year or so, an aftermarket company picked up on something that GM was doing to combat wheel hop in the newer ctsv's:

http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/product.sc?productId=53&categoryId=1

Those are really effective, and cure hop in almost all scenarios (may still hop at the track, wet pavement, etc). I'm going to get some when the warranty expires in Nov. Until then, getting a new diff would be a bonus. Ironically enough, I'm sure they would void the warranty if it broke with the aftermarket axles installed.
Huh. Looks good, and 300m is good ****. I know lots of the offroad guys use torsion axles to help the drivetrain stay alive as well, which might help.

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Huh. Looks good, and 300m is good sh*t. I know lots of the offroad guys use torsion axles to help the drivetrain stay alive as well, which might help.
Yep, see the videos below. I actually saw an interesting post someone made today on the subject:

Forum Post said:
Actually, this is the 3rd diff in my car according to the service history. The original was replaced at 14k due to whinning (according to the previous owner). It was a CPO car and he had it replaced again at 28k for the same reason. I was told it never broke, just whined. Luckly, I bought the car just after the last replacement (less than 2 thousand miles on the gen IV diff). So far so good and it seems super quiet!

Since I knew I had a fresh gen IV diff and wanted to keep it in good shape, I told myself I wouldn't try launching it hard until after I get an aftermarket axle. Needless to say, I didn't wait and had my first real experience with bad wheel hop a month or so ago. I only launched at around 2k but it started to wheel hop bad. I didn't get out of it quick enough and BANG! I thought for sure I blew the diff to pieces. After panic wore off, I realized i was still moving forward slowly. I decided to keep going and everything was fine..nothing broke and no leaks. That was the loudest single BANG I've ever heard from the rear of a car. I would have bet a million dollars in that moment that I grenaded the diff. Now I undertand what people mean when they say violent wheel hop. Mine was more like murderous! It was weird that I just got that one LOUD bang. I guess that is the cradle hitting the bottom of the car?
Here is a video of the CTS-V wheelhop in action. This guys taking it pretty easy. He's obviously not out to break his diff, just capture how the subframe goes apesh*t when it's hopping. I could only imagine what it looks like under there when it's really hopping bad. :eek2:

Here is some 'testimonial' action from an axle owner:

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
You buying plaid golf pants next and wearing them half way up your chest?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Lord knows he already has the sweater vests...

and here's a tip....dont try to do hard launches in a luxury car? maybe?
Luckly i know you well enough that you rather cruise than race....but i can see one time the peer pressure getting to ya and screwing stuff up ...

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
high horsepower + cushy ride shouldnt go together.....and clearly doesnt LOL
Yeah, kinda hard to have your cake and eat it too. Luckily, coming from a background of turbocharged fwd cars... I'm pretty conditioned to baby it on the launch, then roll into the throttle. I'm sure I'll let those habits slowly fade away once I get some of those axles. :)

As for the golf attire, probably not, but I hear I get a discount at Old Country Buffet. :rofl:

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Shouldn't be launching that high with a torquey V8 anyway, and clutch slip on the launch is your friend... :D

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The rear brakes were a little noisy, so I took everything apart and used some spot squeal stuff on them. The brakes are sooo huge... 14" front and 14.4" rear! :eek2:

These have accommodations for lifting pucks like the vettes, which is pretty cool. Instead of buying them, a lot of guys make their own out of hockey pucks and eye bolts, so I did the same.

While I had the rear end in the air, I checked out the differential. It's definitely one of the newer units. You can actually see where the fluid burned on the exhaust when the old one self destructed (they normally give way where the driveshaft meets the diff).

The newer ones have a beefier snout and thicker webbing and fins.

I still haven't had a chance to get good photos, but I snapped some semi-decent phone pics:

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Ah, word. Didn't think they had such a thing in TN, since houses cost like $20 there... :D

Fancy stuff with the pucks. My "aluminum racing" jack from Costco has a rubber pad build in that seems to do alright.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I was trying to figure out the eye bolt, but now I see it's for keeping the puck where you want it on the car.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Oh im sure he will throw something in :)

And Im hoping to get up your way maybe the weekend of Fathers Day. Just not seeing any other chance to get up that way yet Dave. *** I keep hearing babbling of a summer meet down here and you better be here as usual.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts