SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...who knows nothign about suspensions
and i thought it would be nice since i bought rims for the b13 to have the bloody car lowered, go idea right? I mean with the new rims and dropped a little bit, what more could I ask for out of a 12 year old car. So against my better judgement (well i dont know if i have any) i bought the ebay coilovers :(
but now people are telling me that im gonna have to buy new shocks, new struts etc. SO.. keeping in mind that i know nothing about suspensions can someone explain to me what OTHER "stuff" i.e. shocks, struts,... im gonna need to have my car lowered safely with these coilovers?

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
koshimaro said:
...who knows nothign about suspensions
and i thought it would be nice since i bought rims for the b13 to have the bloody car lowered, go idea right? I mean with the new rims and dropped a little bit, what more could I ask for out of a 12 year old car. So against my better judgement (well i dont know if i have any) i bought the ebay coilovers :(
but now people are telling me that im gonna have to buy new shocks, new struts etc. SO.. keeping in mind that i know nothing about suspensions can someone explain to me what OTHER "stuff" i.e. shocks, struts,... im gonna need to have my car lowered safely with these coilovers?
http://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/?

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
What spring rates are the springs? You can put coilovers on OEM struts if you want to if the springs aren't going to cause you grief. How much were the eBay coilovers? If they were cheap enough, just toss the springs or sell them to someone on Nissanforums and get a set of Eibach ERS in whatever spring rates you want, you can probably get them for about $200, then you'll basically have the same thing as Ground Control or Motivational coilovers. Both of those use ERS springs and the sleeves and perches aren't going to be much different. You'll probably want to get a set of bumpstops to keep yourself from ruining your struts. You can get ES bumpstops for about $30 or you can go all out and get the Koni's for $60. You don't need anything else. What spring rates and struts you choose will really depend on what you're going to do with the car. If it's all daily driver or if you'll be doing a lot of racing. Go read up at that link Sam gave you, it's very informative although it's a bit dated in regards to the products mentioned.

^^what happened to it? Man Id love to have a twin turbo.
What?????

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tool its all daily driving, aww man where can i get the bumpstops?
my plan to drop it like its hot , isnt going as smoothly as predicted...:D

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
If it's all daily driving and you're really wanting the lowered look more than performance handling, then I'd say put the eBay coilovers on your OEM struts, and use the Koni bumpstops. Since you're going to lower it a lot, I'd say that you're going to want the more progressive cushion on the Koni's. What size rims and tires are you running? I'm running 15's and I have my car about as low as I can go without encroaching on the 1-3/4" of travel that is recommended as a minimum. A bigger diameter rim isn't going to require the car to be lowered as much as a smaller diameter rim to achieve a lowered look. The bumpstops will keep you from blowing your struts but you'll wear them out if the spring rates aren't right. I'd find out what the spring rates are and talk to someone with more suspension experience and see if you're going to be taxing the OEM struts or not. Easiest thing to do would be to get the right springs to compliment the OEM struts dampening.

Having spoken with a few people spring rates are not all that easy to determine. Too high of rates and you'll ruin the strut on the rebound, too low and you'll ruin them on the compression. Every strut out there is a little different and when they're adjustable that makes it even more confusing.

·
b15 kid
3,021 Posts
i just got the GCs on my b14 and they are nice (except the loud clinging in the rear......how the hell do i get rid of that) but try and get some ers springs and you should be SET

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
nizzan4u2nv said:
Whoops thats what I get for having too many windows open. HAHA.
Ok cool....I reread his post 4-5 times to try and find the part about the twin-turbo.... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts