SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... after a few years of driving slow N/A cars... the boost bug has bitten me again. This time, it's RWD instead of FWD. ;) I bought an N/A SR20DE S14 swap for 545.00 on ebay.. Got a set of JE's and some Saenz rods from Commandre Lex for 500.00. HKS 264* cams on ebay for 350.00... AEBS head studs and a cometic gasket. Ordering my bearings and seals this week. Trying to decide if I should spend the money on new springs/retainers... The 264's don't need them.. but it would be nice to have. I've got an SC61 and a little nitrous. ;) JWT 72lb 3bar ECU (for the haters who say you can't make big numbers on JWT ECU's ;) ). We'll see what it'll do. Hopefully 550-600hp with the spray.

I might have Don over at Polk Performance do some head work for me. Just smooth out the short side of the runners on the exhaust side, and clean up the bowl area a little. Can't wait to get this beast running. :)

Travis

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is going into an S13 hatch..

·
Registered
947 Posts
Nice - can't wait to see it done. Post pics and stuff while you're working on it so we can see the build up and hopefully the final product soon.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tore the motor down today... It had flat top pistons in it... I'm guessing it's 10:1 C/R. They were completely flat.. no dish at all. The cylinders still have very fresh hone marks in them.. so, I'm guessing it didn't have too much mileage on it. It did sit up for a while though.. the cams had some surface rust on them. Hardly any wear though.. so the motor is in great shape. The guys on Fresh Alloy all made stupid comments about how it was dumb to turbo a DE motor. I look to prove them wrong. ;)

Travis

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Sounds like a good combination, Travis. Glad to see you're back to the point where you can boost again. :)

·
No soup for you
2,266 Posts
All lies, I tell you..
:D
Glad to hear things are coming along. Can't wait to see the GTiR intake manifold ;)

John

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NismoDriver said:
Can't wait to see the GTiR intake manifold ;)

John
lol... Come on.. I was trying to save some face. ;) I might just have to build one so I can say I did it.
Travis

·
getting close
2,002 Posts
Yeah put a gti-r intake manifold on as well, prove some more people wrong. Alot of people say a gti-r intake manifold can only go on a gti-r head. Your car is gonna be the shizzy.LOL

Later,Jon

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Danny "Turbomiata" moddified a GTI-R intake manifold to work on the RWD motor. I believe he said there's some minor clearance issues, but it can be made to work.
Travis

·
No soup for you
2,266 Posts
I was just bustin your chops, Travis. I know shes gonna be a monster, I just gotta give you hell. As far as the IM goes, its pretty sweet, but I don't know if its worth the trouble. A nicely designed sheetmetal intake manifold may prosper just as well.

John

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sure hope so man... I don't see why it wouldn't make big numbers. I hope Danny is right about the SC61 hype. ;) It's crazy that a T3 based turbo can make so much power! I guess you and I will both find out what it can do on the SR. You towing your car to SERCA? If I get the 240sx done in time.. I might be caravaning along with you. :p
Travis

·
Stockish TC
1,275 Posts
Trav, when are you gonna be done with that setup? I am also gonna be running an SC61, I think the sr20 will love it. I was going to order from Don over at Polk but since Jamie at PTI has em now I am gonna support him, I just picked up some MSD 50#s and already got the IC and fpr in the room, waiting to sell the Civic and a crapload more parts till I can get the rest. I also picked up some Gti-R rods and pistons last year that I have ready to drop in, and I finally have an sr20 roller head as a core for headwork. Should be a fun process, :). Can't wait to mee up with your sorry butt again, :),
JCC

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
looks like it shoud be a fun project. I wish you the best with it. i wasnt even aware they made rwd de's

also...what the hell is up with your signature animation?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
blairellis said:
looks like it shoud be a fun project. I wish you the best with it. i wasnt even aware they made rwd de's

also...what the hell is up with your signature animation?
I don't think many people do realize there are cheap RWD SR20DE motors out there. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it. I planned on building mine.. so buying this made sense.

Yeah, a buddy sent me that animation... I don't know.. it's just wierd! :p
Travis

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
me too! I just nabbed it from a friend because it's wierd! It's like.. you look at it.. and just keep looking at it because it's strange. ;)

·
meh
867 Posts
the turbo on my sr20 is very similar in size except for a larger compressor wheel. SC61=GT40 56 trim compressor wheel and mine's a 63 trim 67mm T04R compressor wheel. both have 76 trim stage V wheels, but my turbine housing is a 4 bolt compared to precisions 5 bolt. with a 0.63 AR, the turbo begins spooling around 3500-4000rpm and from then on i just try to keep the car on the road ;) . im only running 1bar right now......and the lag really doesnt matter. the turbo will work very well with your motor :D

·
Stockish TC
1,275 Posts
thanks Javier, the specs on that turbo sound yummy, mind telling me which turbo that is? you can pm me or e-mail me,
thanks,
JCC

1 - 20 of 47 Posts