SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on, we know you have some... race stories, or maybe just impressions of the turbo. How quickly does it spool? How responsive is it, how much boost can you run on the street, where do you start hitting detonation? Do you still have a stock bottom end?

Enquiring minds want to know! I miss my NX... but I think we're going to start on my car in about two weeks. I want to get psyched up. :)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Oh dear lord the Foo Foo as invaded the board, run away, run away. its going down hill from here boys and gals.

Kevin
:)

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha ha ha... et tu, foo foo? :)

yeah, me too. But I won't have any stories to tell for at least a couple months... I'm hoping if we ever to that SE-R vs. Club Si thing, my car will be nice and tuned by then.

Well I do have sort of a story... I bought a Quaife LSD, and it's at JWT right now getting fit into a tranny. Here's the wierd thing: it works with the factory LSD. It doesn't necessarily replace it. I'm guessing the factory LSD will be a backup, or maybe it'll help with lockup, but the Quaife is a gear unit and will handle the lockup.

So there's one to ponder for a while....

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, I think it bolts up to it, but does not replace it. ummmmmmmmmm adds more rotating mass to it maybe? I dunno, but have heard of it (or something similar)

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Gang's all here, even Fancher, who's become a list slut, and has even joined the Canadian Club List.

So what else are you going to do to your car, Zak? Tell us and kill some time until Jay posts something :)

BTW, my car's getting a full respray, apillar replacement, dent removal, sanding, etc. I decided I want a car that looks good, rather than is really fast.

Although, I did race a bud with a 5.0 Mustang, and stayed neck and neck up until 70 mph, when we cut it off, so that's not too shabby. He was kind of stunned :)

James

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What am I doing to my car... let's see here.

I'm working with Hotshot to create a new turbo kit with them. My car will have this new, completely designed from scratch, kit with an HKS GT30/37 turbo, Spearco intercooler, MSD 6a ignition, 72 lb-hr injectors, JWT/MSD fuel rail, Cobra MAF, Greddy Type S blowoff valve, and some other basic stuff like gauges.

That's the first step, we're going to get it tuned that way, make some drag passes and some dyno runs, and then we're going to do an engine swap with a motor we're currently building.

It will have 300ZXTT forged pistons, Crower rods, piston coolers, and probably some swain coated internals, once we get to that point. the compression will be 8.5:1, and once we swap it in and slap the kit on it I should be able to run 14 PSI all the time on pump gas, even in the heat... should be able to run up to 18 psi on pump gas if it's not hot.

We're expecting big numbers from this setup, because the GT30/37 is quite a bit more efficient than the t3/t04e combo everybody else is using. The efficiency island on this thing is simply amazing, it's huge. But, we won't know for sure until we tune it, because nobody (afaik) has done a 30/37 in an SE-R yet.

But I've been told we could get 400+ out of it on the stock bottom end with race gas, before we swap the motor out. I guess we'll have to see. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hmm, stories eh? I have lots and lots and lots of them, but to be honest...I'm getting sick of talking about my car. I never thought I would say that but this pile has taken over my life and I want it back!

Basically I still have a stock DE bottom end, I've run 16psi on pump gas and a .07mm water jet with no problems. My external wastgate is so loud I couldn't hear detonation even if my pistons went throught the hood. But the car has been getting *hammered* with no problems. I beat the **** out of it for the most part. Well, I suppose it's all relative. Ryans' car gets flogged pretty hard too.

I have not really taken it up past 17psi because

A. The car is still not 100% and that is a lot of boost to gamble with.

B. Anything over 15psi is absolutely pointless on the street unless you like going nowhere and banging off the rev limter in 1st, and spinning second all way through the gear.

C. I still have the street/strip clutch and it lays down at about 16psi in the upper gears after the tires stop spinning.

Kills?

Viper GTS: It just dyno'd 424hp 476tq that day (Saw it with my own eyes) He was not happy.

Supra Twin Turbos: Still on the stock turbo's but modded.

911 Turbo: Spank the rich kid

C5 Vette: Took daddies Vette out and got a lesson

Countless Mustangs of various mods and boost levels

Countless LS1 Cambirds

SuperCharged Type R: Why downshift

Turbo FWD Mopars:

And I have eaten more rice than a third world country.

Bacically the car runs very hard, but I'm still shaking it out so there is more to come.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Wow, isn't your car maybe 2 months of being turboed and you've raced all these cars? HOW??? I need to visit where you live and race a few folks. Only person I've raced is my best friend in his 99 Civic LX in the boondocks. When and if I see a decent adversary, they are heading a different direction than I, and even that is rare

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
you just got to know where to go. usually on weekends when these yuppies bring thier hot g/f out on a date and try to impress them by trying to beat a 4 banger in their 8 litre v10. humiliating for them I'm sure, but funny as hell for us (jay and a few other fortunate ones, but not me)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
..........no words to describe how beautiful, no, how awesome, no, how clean, no, how mean, no.... like I said :)

Shell's car can kiss his Best looking SE-R award goodbye the instant you show up. :)

Here's a question: after all this work and to now have what you have, was it worth it? The money, the time, the stress, the family stuff, etc.

Would include this project in a 20 page summary of your life 50 years from now on your deathbed?

If you were forced to have to go back and re-live life without building your turbo SE-R, would you feel like there would be something missing in it?

Just trying to get the perspective on such a massive project. I can't imagine making what you have made in that picture all by myself. NOT ONLY does it push 15psi on pump gas and can beat Vipers, but it's CLEAN, POLISHED, and show car ready. Amazing Jay. Simply amazing.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya man, your car is cleaner than I could ever imagine mine being. great ride. cool site too. if only TX law was as cool as the CT police. but I guess when you have 500 cars and 1500-2000 people out, what can you do?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wow, thanks guys. I am humbled...really.

It was a LOT of work, and I suppose like anything else, you have to take your time, plan and follow through.

Several of my friends got sick of their cars half way through the project and sold it or abandonded it. Such a waste. For me what it came down to was SERIOUS attention to detail, and lots of patience. Part won't fit right without fabricating a new bracket? Make it. Can't do it right without waiting a week for the extra part needed. Wait. Taking to long to solder connections? Too bad.

I suppose that's why I am/was so pissed off at the fact that it is not running right and the responses I got from the various vendors. I did everything soooo anal it's sickening. My friends thought I needed help, but now they want one for themselves! LOL

The car went together in such detail that it fired up on the second crank of the starter and ran perfect. Then I got the MIL (JWT forgot to eliminate the rear o2) then I got the drivability problems. All the while all the "vendors" have been pointing at each other and/or my work as the cause. Well I can tell you I have been through my work over and over and over. Everything is perfect. I pressurized it and no leaks, soldered all the connections etc etc...every time they tell me to check *my* work, it passes with flying colors. Been that way for 3months now.

Mike K and I think my MAF is seeing turbulence and going bullshit until enough airflow is created to mellow it out. I think the "lack" of performance is because JWT programmed my ECU for 94 Octane pump gas when I asked Ben at JWT for the "race gas" program. (Thanks Ben!)

I will be doing a complete write up now, as you guys lit a fire under me. I have about 75 pictures from beginning to end and will do a nice little page for everyone to see what's what. I got *0* instructions with all the parts so I had to put the car together based on experience and well...experience. If I had some pics of another install it would have made my life soooo much easier. Maybe my pics can help another.

I'll post a message when it's done.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
The writeup's a big job too! But I'd love to read it.

Eventually, I'm going down to the east coast to meet up with Carl (whenever he gets his car back!), Kieran and Lee. Hopefully I can check out your car then too.

Unless you want to drive it to Saltfest? ;-)

Zak - you've been quietly working away there! I'll have to hear more about what you're doing too! :)

I'm concentrating on making my car... slower.

I lost my brakes lapping at Shannonville on the weekend - at 160 kmph down the back straight :) I need better pads!

James

1 - 20 of 32 Posts