SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years the SR20 community has been bitching "why doesn't anybody make a rear STB for the NX/ Classic SE-R". Well some one did and with the help off fellow board member Thomas Fox, Motivational Engineering http://www.motivational.net has designed and offered to sell a damn fine piece for not a lot of coin.

When Thomas first posted about this there was a good reception. But of those who said they would order one, only about 25% have put there money where there mouth is. I just got off the phone with Mike at Motivational and he has informed me that he has received deposits for a pathetic five orders for the SE-R and eight for the NX! Two of the deposits are from me.

Mike at Motivational needs at least ten orders for each make to make it worth his time and money. At this rate he will be losing money. And even if he gets the ten per car type minimum he needs, he will be only breaking even. Motivational is a small shop. It's no Stillen or JWT. He responded to a need and offered to fill it and this is the response he gets. At this rate, it will not be long until there is no aftermarket support for our SR20 cars. The big guys will move on to the latest and greatest Nissans and the little guys like Mike who would support a low-volume car won't be able to stay in business because of a lack of support.

For those of you who complained about the lack of availability of rear STB and other parts for our "Classic"cars, check this product out. It appears to be very functional,of high quality and manufactured by a respected vendor. And for those of you who said they would send deposits and didn't...you deserve what you get, which is the inevitable lack of aftermarket support for our cars in the future.

Here is a link to the original thread:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3776&highlight=rear+strut+tower+brace

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a feeling that one of the problems is that somebody from the mailing list developed one at the exact same time. It is a different design from the Motivational one, and it requires no cutting of anything, apparently. I was all set to get one from Motivational, but another option popped up at exactly the same time. B13 SE-R's went from having only one difficult option (the Cusco bar) to having 2 new options pop up virtually simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well, I was all set to get one, then I got laid off. It became a lot lower priority for me at that point. On top of that, I won't even be driving my NX for the next few months for the same reason. Everbody hurts in a recession. I'd like to help out but it's not gonna happen right now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tommy,

I saw the post(s) on the SE-R list. Not a bad idea. I like Thomas would prefer mine to bolted to the strut-tower. If I understand correctly the one being offered on the list is a "press fit". Have you seen pictures, pricing or a website? I'm pretty certain Motivational's rear STB for the SE-R does not require any cutting. I'm not sure about the NX.

Which ever one you buy is fine. I'm happy when anybody introduces a new product or choice for the SR20 community. What really jerks my chain is when all these people say "Yea, I want one of those! Count me in!" but when it comes time to write the check they become a bunch of owls (who, who me?).

I'm afraid Serban is going to find this out with his UR Under-Drive Pulley group buy. After that goes down there will be lots of owls hooting.

edit:spelling

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry. Double-Post

·
Registered
596 Posts
Andrew, I believe you are correct about it being a press fit. I think they had a discussion to determine if there were ever a time when the shock towers would flex outward and thus have the bar fall out of place, but it seemed nobody could think of an instance.

Anyways, I think both are good options, and I hope Motivational does sell a lot of these bars because they have done much already to support the Nissan community. And you are right, you would think there would be more demand than supply for these things considering how long people have wanted one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts