SR20 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did too. I finally decided to tackle the project. Went out to Home Depot to get some high temp paint. Then took the lights off and proceeded to scratch my head wondering how in the hell... So I broke out the hair dryer and heated up the lights. Once they were heated I took out a screwdriver and started prying. It was a pain in the @$$! So I finally got the covers off. Had the covers in one hand, the chrome pieces in another. Well I then took them outside to paint. Well I was wondering how I was going to get the paint to stick to the shiny plastic chrome. Well I figured I'd just try some paint thinner to clean them and then spray them. Well this is the part that I liked.. The paint thinner took the chrome off! So I continued on. I didn't even have to paint them. Just a bit of elbow grease and paint thinner and now I have black projectors. Cleaned them all up broght them back in the house and put them back together. I didn't even have to use new glue since the old was still VERY tacky. I put the cover on just to see and it was just as hard to pull back apart. So I heated it up a bit and stuck it back together. If it leaks I'll fix it down the road. So anyhow now I have black projectors. Now I need to figure out the corners...

Comments??

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting them off was a pain in the @$$! I used a hair dryer to heat them. Another guy said it didn't really help him it helped me out A LOT. Then use a screwdriver to pry it off. You need to remove the clips first though. Having a knife nearby also helped instead of prying the glue out I just cut it with a knife. That way it stayed in there and was able to be re-used. Also while I was in the housing I noticed one of my lamps had come un-glued so I re-glued it. The whole process from start to finish took maybe 3 hours. Now I just need to find a way to clean the lense on the outside. I might have a solution though. I'll post if it works.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have been told that if you use brasso (available at most hardware stores) that it will polish the plastic lens pretty well. Its an old hot rodders and restorers trick for old lens'

Try it and see what ya think
Rick

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow, this is a MUCH better process than what I did.. I just got your PM and I replied, but I didn't know you had already done it... well good job.. and by the way, that high-temp paint probably would not have been good (in color). I used it, but I was just getting a dark grey... so I just bought regular black paint, and it works fine. Good job though, much better process than mine.

G

·
where do u live

Hey matt do u live by orlando and what track do u go to
to test out your speed.

Give me a price on the fog light too

Thanks!!!:) ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
head light dissasembly

Many of the subaru owners do the same thing with there head lights. I haven't done it to my wife's wrx yet b/c of time.

What they recomend it to bake the headlights at about 300 degrees and for a few minutes and then pull apart.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible if you break or mess up you head lights.

Look in www.i-club.com and do a search on head lights and they will have better more detailed advise on how to do it.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been to Orlando Speedway in the past. I can't seem to get good times there though. I've only been to the track a couple of times though. As for the foglight, I'd rather sell them as a pair. They both have 55 watt hyperwhite bulbs in them. So how's $50 for the pair sound?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts