SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the motor in two days, cant complain. Shipping was a great deal and the motor is spotless inside, so no big complaints from here. Just a few minor ones.

A. Fuel rail was bent to ****. Looks like they or whoever, took the motor out w/ the fuel rail...caused the O-rings to be screwed up and I had to change over my stock one.

B. Valve cover wasnt the original cover for the motor. Like I said, the motor was clean, but the valve cover looked like it was from a motor w/ 100k miles (underneath the cover that is). Also, the hose that connects to the driver side of the valve cover (not sure of the name) moved freely. Not a good thing so I had to replace the valve cover w/ my stock one. This is why i can see the underside of the cover, but heres the weird thing. One of the gaskets was missing under the cover. To be specific, it was the gasket around the screw in the very middle of the cover. This woulda sucked had I not found it b/c it woulda leaked oil. Very strange.

C. Broke sensors. Not the companies fault I dont believe, but the shippers. Wasnt a big deal, just took forever to switch all that **** over.

I called soko about the fuel rail and they said their warranty is for the block only and the injectors are considered accessories. The only explaniation they offered for the valve cover was A. It came to them like that, or B. They replaced the older one because it was cracked. The sensors? "Well you can just swap those off of your stock one". Yes, true, but I shouldnt have to spend the time on that.

Either way, the motor is clean, fired up first time but it smoked (read post in general section) so...no big complaints yet, but ill keep you updated on the smoking situation. Thought I would share my transaction!!

-Mike

·
s13 frankenstein
3,483 Posts
Soko says your not supposed to use any of the sensors on their anyway. U are supposed to just use the longblock. And the fuel rail is bent on all their motors because that is how they hook them up to the lift, i was there when they lifted mine to put it in the truck and saw them do it. I have no complaints though and you gotta admit they have a nice warranty

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, its nice, but I just wish I coulda reused my fuel rail in my older motor. About the sensors, are you talking about the ones that are cut or the ones that attach directly to the block? Because I used the ones on the block and didnt think anything of it??

-Mike

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The sensors on the block for water temp won't work with the US cars...

Bent rails are typical from a LOT of importers...

Chris

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
This is all pretty typical stuff. For the price youre paying you can't expect a turn-key engine. Heck on my GA16i, I have swapped two of them into the same car, and they both come from Japan with a carb. Got to switch over flywheel, clutch, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, coolant sensor, distributor, crank pulley, alternator and bracket, remove P/S, and the list goes on. You literally only use the block and head for this swap. No biggie, all told it should ony tale an hour to switch everything over

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MauiBlueGride said:
The sensors on the block for water temp won't work with the US cars...

Bent rails are typical from a LOT of importers...

Chris

I never swapped this over...should I do that asap??? My temp reading works fine, it was just on the fritz when the car first started...

-Mike

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Majestical69 said:
I never swapped this over...should I do that asap??? My temp reading works fine, it was just on the fritz when the car first started...

-Mike

From my reading they suggest you swap those sensors over because the ones from your engine are known to work (if it was in running condition). I believe they are the same, and if you aren't experiencing any problems then this solidifies that presumption.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts