SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Joe D. asked me about some solid busings for the rear control arms on his B13 race car (IT division). Apparently material choice is left open, so heres my question.

For the cheap ass bastard racing nut, I was thinking of using some 954 Aluminium Bronze, milling half bushings, using UHMW on the sides and probably a SS inner sleeve. Thread mill some grease passages on the ID of the aluminium bronze, and install a grease fitting. Something like this...

The other idea for the baller, pretty much the same, but using needle bearings in the control arms (yellow in this pic), having SS housings, SS sleeves. The down side, right at $200 for the bearings alone... :(

Material on the first idea is whats in question, 954 Aluminum bronze is great under high compression loads, has 85,000psi tensile, and 32,000psi yield min. The nice thing is it comes in cored rods making my job easier ;)

The other question, is the rotation of the rear control arms truly a rotation with no twist? Or is there twisting involved with the motion, that would throw out all solid bushings, and needle bearings, requiring shperical bearings in there...

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
I would make it similiar to the stockers so that the SS sleeve and the control arm interface. The bronze bushing will just be the filler. Although it has great tensile and yield, it still wears much faster than SS.

I would say the only real way to find out would be to machine some of the Al-bronze bushings and see if it binds. The P10 has pretty much the same rear suspension. You could just install it, put a totally blown strut on there and see if it binds. I guess for the blown strut, just take a stocker (If you don't have one, I can send you one), take the jam nut off, then just drill out the valving, then reassemble with some WD40 or similiar thing lube (KY Warming Sensation?).

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i was thinking that, and I do want the inner sleeve to be motionless with the arm bolted in place. This would allow the Al bronze and UMHW to be moving around that. Its a tight fit, but your right, ill probably just have to make some and find out. Although the trailing arm bushing will have to be spherical after giving it a good look today.

·
fabricator
841 Posts
I think they all need to be spherical, or soft enough to allow deflection in more than one axis. The trailing link pulls the upright fore and aft as the suspension moves, so solid bushings in the lateral links would bind. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought the rule was any nonmetallic material?

andris

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, your right, they all move in more than one axis, due to that trailing arm. crap...I thought this was gonna be easy....

from what smokestack said, the bushing material was *free*...guess he needs to verify all that....

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Yahnozha said:
So Joe D. asked me about some solid busings for the rear control arms on his B13 race car (IT division). Apparently material choice is left open, so heres my question.
For the cheap ass bastard racing nut, I was thinking of using some 954 Aluminium Bronze, milling half bushings, using UHMW on the sides and probably a SS inner sleeve. Thread mill some grease passages on the ID of the aluminium bronze, and install a grease fitting. Something like this...

The other idea for the baller, pretty much the same, but using needle bearings in the control arms (yellow in this pic), having SS housings, SS sleeves. The down side, right at $200 for the bearings alone... :(

Material on the first idea is whats in question, 954 Aluminum bronze is great under high compression loads, has 85,000psi tensile, and 32,000psi yield min. The nice thing is it comes in cored rods making my job easier ;)
The other question, is the rotation of the rear control arms truly a rotation with no twist? Or is there twisting involved with the motion, that would throw out all solid bushings, and needle bearings, requiring shperical bearings in there...
Wont work, has to have more degrees of freedom. Make a holder for a sperical bearing instead.

·
SE-R RACER
1,083 Posts
andris said:
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought the rule was any nonmetallic material?

andris
"Bushing material, including that used to mount a suspension subframe to the chassis is unresticted"

That's straight out of the ITCS sec. of the GCR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.