SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I borrowed a friends Rx-7 earlier in the week and really fell in love with the rwd, it's just more fun than fwd. I also know where I can get a good deal on a Silvia. I have a butt load of parts for my se-r build up. My question is if I switch platforms how many of the parts are universal? Specifically, my Fidanza flywheel, clutch, motor mounts and walbro fuel pump.

TIA,

Jess

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Only the fuel pump, and I'm not even completely certain on that. None of the other stuff is near the same.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rittmeister said:
Only the fuel pump, and I'm not even completely certain on that. None of the other stuff is near the same.
Damn, that's not what I was hoping. Do you know what makes the flywheel and clutch different between the two? Obviously, I should have realized the mounts wouldn't work..lol

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Are we talking about KA24 or RWD SR20? The RWD SR20 clutch is the same as a Maxima clutch, which while I've never seen one I'm guessing is bigger than a FWD SR20 unit. This would hold true for the flywheel as well. If the RWD flywheel is big enough for a Z32 clutch (SCC project Silvia) it HAS to be bigger than the FWD unit.

On the KA I'd imagine the problems were the same. I'm sure they're just bigger than a FWD SR20 unit.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rittmeister said:
Are we talking about KA24 or RWD SR20? The RWD SR20 clutch is the same as a Maxima clutch, which while I've never seen one I'm guessing is bigger than a FWD SR20 unit. This would hold true for the flywheel as well. If the RWD flywheel is big enough for a Z32 clutch (SCC project Silvia) it HAS to be bigger than the FWD unit.

On the KA I'd imagine the problems were the same. I'm sure they're just bigger than a FWD SR20 unit.
RWD Sr20...

·
Registered
348 Posts
The RWD SR20 flywheel is NOT the same size as the FWD SR20. This is due to the nature of the transmission as well as flywheel size. I suggest you sell your SE-R buildup parts and start over. Its a major PITA but if you want parts thats the way to do it. The Clutch is the same situation as the flywheel. Your Walboro fuel pump will carry over but thats about it. If you want to go silvia motor prepare for some uber money. Most people think the cost of an SR Swap is just in the motor. You will have to get several parts in addition to just the motor and ecu/tranny to get the car running. Our website www.thejdmstore.com has a lot of parts for SR20DETs if you want to take a look.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

·
Registered
288 Posts
Everybodies right :( at least you have a choice..I lost $15k outa my pocket when my b13 got stolen, but now I'm driving a rwd :D hehe.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I dunno...i'm pretty into auto-x right now, and I didn't like the unstableness due to condtions that the sr in my b13 committed...it was very tempermental...I kinda wanna do an allmotor project with the ka..see if I can get 200whp out of it...see if I can turn the torquemonster truck motor into a rev happy torquemonster :D hehe. A bunch of my friends have sr's in their 240s, so I can always take a ride in theirs. Only thing I really hate about the KA is the tranny, and I'll have to figure out a way to deal with that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
theyre the exact same tranny, you cant hate to KA and like the SR. CA, SR and KA all have the exact same transmission, only the bellhousing differs. if they feel different to yuo, your tranny is messed up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My tranny is messed up, I've been told that the ka tranny is the same tranny that is in the ka trucks, and I've felt srs, they are way more tight than the ka is, and the throw is naturally shorter...weird...if my tranny is that messed up i'm in for a new one :D hehe.

·
Registered
348 Posts
gears are slightly different in KA and SR trannies btw. But as far as transmissions go, im gonna get the Nismo 6-speed gear set for my SR Tranny... MUWAHAAHAHAHA

·
Registered
127 Posts
5th gear is a little different, thats no big deal. other than that they are the same, feel the same, take the same shifter... everything. like i said, if it feels significantly different you have problems.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Nox240 said:
gears are slightly different in KA and SR trannies btw. But as far as transmissions go, im gonna get the Nismo 6-speed gear set for my SR Tranny... MUWAHAAHAHAHA
I've read over and over that the gearsets for the KA and SR trannies are the same and that only the bellhousings are different.

·
Registered
127 Posts
one person believes me... hahaha. an SR tranny cant feel any different, its the same exact tranny.

why get the nismo stuff? i would go HKS if i was spending that kinda of money on something pretty much only for bling. my transmission makes my wheels turn just fine. the thousands of dollars for that tranny could be better spent elsewhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts