SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first off, thanks to anyone who reads this, and yes i did search. I'm currently in Denver, sitting in a hotel room,and will be on my way to Phoenix in a few days. I've been gettin really bad detonation, and i can't even get into boost at all. It's really starting to worry me. So far I'm pretty sure my timing is set at 15, my vacuum is just below 19,all couplers/hoses appear to be in place, and last week the fp was at 44psi,and haven't run anything less than 91 octane. I'm not sure what else to check. Worse part is my gf freaks outs every time it does it...and that will make a long 900 miles! anyone who can help me out it is greatly appreaciated!

my setup is pretty simple:
w11, t25, hotshot fmic, 3bar jwt, 370s, walbro, nismo fpr (no gauge), jgy 3"dp into a magnaflow muffler and out 2 2.5"reduction bent pipes.

Mark

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
maybe you have a bad fuel filter or something, the pressure is there but flow isn't! Or possible plugs/ignition issue.

Brent

·
Registered
947 Posts
maybe turn down the boost if you haven't already. I would check the plugs and make sure they're gapped properly, you could also reduce the gap to see if that helps.

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
You say you are at a hotel, so im assuming you are on a road trip. You could have got a bad tank of gas somewhere along your route??

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the plugs cap and rotor are all no older than summer. i'm running stock boost. i think the plugs are gapped to .35? as for the gas, it may be partially responsible, but i would get detonation back in NY high up in the rpm range, occasionally. how can i check my ignition? thanks for all the replies so far.

mark

·
SHIFT_psssssssttttt
596 Posts
what exactly happens? mine would studder when i hit about 5 psi...then i just punched it cuz i got pissed. after that, it sounded like a WRX...it turns out my spark plugs on cylinder 1 and 3 were broken! thats right...#1 the tip was chipped, a chunk missing...#3 the whole tip was gone! Nissan dealer says it might be predetonation/detonation. I changed them out and now it's all good again.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i cant even get into boost. and i have bkr6e plugs i believe. ill have to go outside and pull the plugs and take a look. please people keep the suggestions coming!

mark

·
I like the boost!
419 Posts
ser_smokes_alot said:
i cant even get into boost. and i have bkr6e plugs i believe. ill have to go outside and pull the plugs and take a look. please people keep the suggestions coming!

mark
Well, If you ever make it to Phoenix I'll help you out.

My guess would be Plugs.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
A quick and dirty way to set your timing at 15* is to set the distributor smack dab in the middle of the adjustment range.

C

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i have a timing gun, and as far as i know it is set to 15*. and that is what all 4 plugs looked like.

mark

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Plugs actually look alright, maybe I am missing something. TIming guns are great, but make sure the car is in timing mode to get an accurate reading.

Brent

·
Registered
947 Posts
ser_smokes_alot said:
well the plugs cap and rotor are all no older than summer. i'm running stock boost. i think the plugs are gapped to .35?
I have the bkr6e plugs too and I gapped them down to .25 - I think .35 is too high. You could try to gap them down and maybe buy a can of octaine booster, just so you don't detonate all the way home...

·
Audio Nut
283 Posts
I had a similar issue when my U12 DET was first installed and this may have no bearing on your problem, I dunno, but what TPS are you running?

-Travis

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im running the stock tps. when i got my motor it didnt have a tps with it. on another note it also didnt come with a dizzy.

also what is the proper way to close plugs? i have the circle thing to measure the gap, but how to actually do it i'm not too sure without messing up the elctrodes.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also i THINK i did get in timing mode when i checked/set the timing.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anyone???

·
BTCC VE Power
5,151 Posts
check all the couplers again... does it get to 0 vac/boost and then studder? if so then its probably a torn coupler somewhere or a small hole... go through the entire i/c system and undo all connections and reconnect them...

also are you sure its detonation? what does it sound like?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts