SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanna hear something cool? i was having my springs and struts put on today. all was going well...penetrating lube and impact wrenches were doing a flawless job.

all assemblies off, all new assemblies assembled, back to the car. front assemblies...zzt zzt zzt! went the air tools. to the right rear, zzt zz! to the left...wait a minute...what the f??

walk back to the right side....AWESOME! Two right rear struts. Way to go tirerack. :mad: Nothing i could do till the new left rear strut comes in. so, left the sway bar disconnected, wire tied the brake line to the strut, and off i went.

i inspected the old struts after they were removed...i pushed the strut thing in..it didn't come back out. same with all four! completely useless i suppose. springs looked okay though.

the ride home was pretty firm, a lot firmer than what it used to feel like anyway. reminded me of how a miata rode. stance is much lower, it looks pretty cool. the rear feels a little jiggly through the turns, but i won't create any real opinions until everything is straight. all in all though, once i'm over this little speed bump, i'll be a happy happy man :)

·
Old
744 Posts
They screwed me a couple of times...
1st they mounted one of my tires on the rim backwards...they paid for remounting and balancing.
Then I sent back a couple of sets of lugs and valve stems, they told me they only got half of them. With enough arguing i got my money back though.
They actually got my shocks right though. :)

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
I got my struts from Tirerack last month, they sent all the right ones.

Sucks to hear bout what happened...I made sure I checked to see that I had the right ones before I put them on :D

Also, snap some pics, I want to see how your car sits with the KYBs and Prokits, I have the exact same setup, and the back looks kinda dipped and the front a little high :mad:

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Fast91SER said:
Also, snap some pics, I want to see how your car sits with the KYBs and Prokits, I have the exact same setup, and the back looks kinda dipped and the front a little high :mad:
Since you don't have any pictures of your trunk, I might be wrong, but with the following stuff in your trunk:

JBL DA1002 300W Amp
Rockwood 200W Amp
12" Cerwin Vega Subwoofer
Sony CDX-605 10 disc CD Changer
Twister fared cap

might be causing the rear dip. Especially if the 12" is in a wood box. Just a hunch. My previous ride, a '91 NX2000 did that with my 2 Kicker Comp 10's and Alpine amps.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
here's my trunk...I guess its a bit packed..battery is back there too

here is how the car sits:

should i ditch the box/sub/amp, and try put the battery up front??

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Someone else might want to reply to this, but here is my best attempt at what knowledge I know of relocating a battery.

Two reasons to relocate a battery:

1. CAI - Gives you more room in the engine compartment to run the CAI piping down into the fender well. And frees up lost space.

2. Performance Handling - By placing the battery in the rear RIGHT hand corner of the car, it will offset the drivers weight and balance out the weight difference across the length of the vehicle.

I would leave the battery in the trunk, but try to move it to the right of the car.

As for the sub box...???. That would be up to you. I am sure it is not very light. I would venture to say that between the sub box and your tool boxs (two from what I see), you've probably got a shitload of weight there pushing on the rear suspension.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
NismoSER said:
i inspected the old struts after they were removed...i pushed the strut thing in..it didn't come back out. same with all four! completely useless i suppose. springs looked okay though.
That's normal. The strut shaft doesn't necessarily rebound after you compress it. My new (at the time) KYB GR-2 struts did the same thing when I first got them.

Springs don't necessarily go bad... Well... Unless there's heavy rust build-up or something.

--Andrew Phan

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i should also add i was able to compress the shafts with two fingers, very very quickly. its not like the GR2's, which required about 3 times the effort, and about a second or so to fully compress.

anyone want stock SE-R springs? :)

i'll get some pics of my car as soon as i get the chance. my friend left his Digital cam at home today so i didn't get pics. but, my car looks strikingly similar to yours...the rear is a little lower than the front. my box and subs

weigh a pretty penny. (that's 2 12" Kickers in there, in that beeeyoooooooootiful bandpass box).

but i can't ditch my tunes, i'm also an aspiring audio/video enthusiast at heart :D

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
man, thats gotta weigh a lot...i had 2 Vega subs in a bandpass box, and the whole thing weighed in at 90lbs!! :eek:

So I cut down on one sub, had it in a tube for a while, then the tube got messed up, so its in a box now. I really cant go long without some thump, so i dont think i will take it out :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts