SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
rice burner closet case
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I am completely puzzled on what is going on with my stereo.

When I hit a bump, the sound goes away on all 4 speakers. The stereo operates as normal though. Lights stay on, buttons work, it beeps, but no sound. It comes back when I hit another bump.

Fix attempt #1 Fix the loose plug on the back of the stereo.

Outcome: WRONG!

I wiggled, plugged unplugged and cleaned the connection. Next step

Fix attempt #2 Clean contacts on the faceplate

Fix attempt #3 Rewire the SOB!!

At this point I am getting really angry. I get the test light. Yellow (battery) wire is good, red (ignition) wire is also good. Keep in mind I have the car in acc. with the radio playing, just no sound coming out of the speakers. I test the speaker wires, and they have no power. Okay. Drive around the block till I hit enough of a bump and the sound comes back.

Fix attempt #4 Brand new ground

I check the speaker wires again, and since I can hear sound, they obviously have power, and the test light confirms that. Since there is freaky stuff going on, there must be a ground problem. I make a new ground, and attach it to the recommended shifter dust boot bolt in the sheetmetal. It works, right up until I hit a good bump. Damn!

Fix attempt #5 New Headunit, check fuses in fuse box

The head unit works, I verified that by using my gf's new touch screen head unit, and hers cuts out with bumps too. The fuses in the fuse box are good, there is never an interrupt in power for the stereo. The only thing that changes from working to not working is that suddenly there is no power running through the wires going to the speakers. This was verified right at the headunit.

The head unit always works. It lights up, changes cd tracks, volume numbers go up and down, I can go to radio. It operates perfectly, but no sound. There is a short somewhere. I have checked the power wires at every connection point in the stereo harness with the testlight. The ground is good. I can use the ground wire to ground the test light, so I know it works as a ground. BTW I used the posi grip twist lock connectors when I rewired it. I did not just twist and tape this.

WTF is going on!!!! I am really really going crazy. Please give me some suggestion on what else to check. I think the next thing to do is run a direct power to the battery and hope that will work. Please help me, the silence is horrible!

Thank you,

Jay

·
Me likes Big Ol Booties!
1,160 Posts
Just wondering, I didn't read the whole thing, that's a looong one.

Anyways, I know I've have bad distribution blocks in the past where this would happen, do you have any? The connections were loose on the fuse causing this to happen. Try some new distribution blocks, fuse holders.

It's loose somewhere.

·
rice burner closet case
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I did type a lot didn't I... I highlighted the important parts to make it easier though.

I don't have an amp, so I don't have a distribution block.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Check too see if you have a speaker wire grounding out. Protection cicuitry can sometimes turn off signal to all the speakers.

·
rice burner closet case
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say grounding out, you mean to make sure that the wire is not touching anything but the speaker, right? I will check to make sure. I am still using the factory wiring to the speakers.

I am going to wire it directly to the battery in the morning and see what happens.

Keep the suggestions comming please.
Thank you.
Jay

·
Linux = Freedom
247 Posts
I dont think you have a wire touching metal, that would make only the speaker the wire leads to cut off. Did you install the stereo yourself, did you splice into the factory stereo wires or does it have a harness?

·
rice burner closet case
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Harness...

It ended up being a speaker wire grounding out. It cut off the entire stereo. Let this be a lesson for anyone searching in the future. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I cut 6x9 holes in the rear, and one speaker was tweaked a little, and was touching the metal rod in the trunk.

I took care of the problem, now to only have to deal with a dead headlight switch. I have only headlights, turn signals, but no parking, or dash lights. Stupid switch is $174 at autozone. I disassembled it and see no burn marks. Well I have more investigating to do.

·
Me likes Big Ol Booties!
1,160 Posts
foney said:
Harness...

It ended up being a speaker wire grounding out. It cut off the entire stereo. Let this be a lesson for anyone searching in the future. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I cut 6x9 holes in the rear, and one speaker was tweaked a little, and was touching the metal rod in the trunk.

I took care of the problem, now to only have to deal with a dead headlight switch. I have only headlights, turn signals, but no parking, or dash lights. Stupid switch is $174 at autozone. I disassembled it and see no burn marks. Well I have more investigating to do.
You did check first to see if a fuse is blown before buying the switch, right? I know I had a weird fuse blown and my dash and parking lights didn't work either (also dome light).

·
rice burner closet case
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't know there was a tail light fuse under the hood... Anyway, it was blown, and now everything is cool

Thank you all very much for the help with the speakers. Now I figure I need to get a new headunit that will control my ipod.

thanks again,

Jay

·
broke, busted and rusted
2,095 Posts
I dont think you have a wire touching metal, that would make only the speaker the wire leads to cut off. Did you install the stereo yourself, did you splice into the factory stereo wires or does it have a harness?
that is very wrong, I had the same thing happen with my nakamichi head unit, the protection circuit will cut sound to all 4 speakers if only 1 shorts.
A rear speaker wire grounded to my chasis during a speaker box install, and the other 3 speakers cut out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I am completely puzzled on what is going on with my stereo.

When I hit a bump, the sound goes away on all 4 speakers. The stereo operates as normal though. Lights stay on, buttons work, it beeps, but no sound. It comes back when I hit another bump.

Fix attempt #1 Fix the loose plug on the back of the stereo.

I wiggled, plugged unplugged and cleaned the connection. Next step

Fix attempt #2 Clean contacts on the faceplate

Fix attempt #3 Rewire the SOB!!

At this point I am getting really angry. I get the test light. Yellow (battery) wire is good, red (ignition) wire is also good. Keep in mind I have the car in acc. with the radio playing, just no sound coming out of the speakers. I test the speaker wires, and they have no power. Okay. Drive around the block till I hit enough of a bump and the sound comes back.

Fix attempt #4 Brand new ground

I check the speaker wires again, and since I can hear sound, they obviously have power, and the test light confirms that. Since there is freaky stuff going on, there must be a ground problem. I make a new ground, and attach it to the recommended shifter dust boot bolt in the sheetmetal. It works, right up until I hit a good bump. Damn!

Fix attempt #5 New Headunit, check fuses in fuse box

The head unit works, I verified that by using my gf's new touch screen head unit, and hers cuts out with bumps too. The fuses in the fuse box are good, there is never an interrupt in power for the stereo. The only thing that changes from working to not working is that suddenly there is no power running through the wires going to the speakers. This was verified right at the headunit.

The head unit always works. It lights up, changes cd tracks, volume numbers go up and down, I can go to radio. It operates perfectly, but no sound. There is a short somewhere. I have checked the power wires at every connection point in the stereo harness with the testlight. The ground is good. I can use the ground wire to ground the test light, so I know it works as a ground. BTW I used the posi grip twist lock connectors when I rewired it. I did not just twist and tape this.

WTF is going on!!!! I am really really going crazy. Please give me some suggestion on what else to check. I think the next thing to do is run a direct power to the battery and hope that will work. Please help me, the silence is horrible!

Thank you,

Jay
Work on your coping skills omg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts