SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to put the dump tube off my wastegate, just curious how much louder this will make the car, also will this affect the O2 sensor? I assume it will not since the O2 goes into open loop when the wastegate opens?

Are there any easy ways of plugging the hole in the downpipe other than welding it? Something temporary to decide if I want to leave it this way or not?

------------------
Brian
AIM: pdxs2000
91 se-r (fmax stg2 @ 1.1 bar)
00 s2000

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PDX S2000:
I'm wanting to put the dump tube off my wastegate, just curious how much louder this will make the car</font>
Depending on what wastegate you use, I have a Tial wg and it is not too loud but when you get on it, it makes the coolest sound like HERE I COME BOYS a DEEP WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA sound, But you have to remember its only when your making full boost that the WG opens.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> also will this affect the O2 sensor?
</font>
No not at all. Also If Done right venting to the air will will give you more hp.

Mike Collins USN.
Turbo Classic.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm wanting to put the dump tube off my wastegate, just curious how much louder this will make the car, also will this affect the O2 sensor? I assume it will not since the O2 goes into open loop when the wastegate opens?

Are there any easy ways of plugging the hole in the downpipe other than welding it? Something temporary to decide if I want to leave it this way or not?

</font>

Mine is so G damned loud it makes kids cry.

From inside the car it's fine, but the first time I had the window down and cracked the throttle 2' from a wall on my left, I almost crashed. My ear rang for days.

Everyone that races me, either has a look of pain on their face, or a look of WHAT THE HELL IS IN THAT THING.

Don't take my word for it, go here www.thepike.net and have a visit to the messageboard. Just ask about Jay's SE-R and if the wastegate is loud

You can sort of hear how loud it is here: http://www.ctwd.net/ser/mpeg/se-r-drag2.mpg (1.2meg)

Keep in mind this was shot from a Sony digital camera with mpeg capabilities, and from the *bleachers*.

It's loud.

BTW I have a 40mm TiAl and a 16"ish 2" pipe dumped straight towards the ground.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 02-14-2001).]

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Hey guys,

This might be a stupid question, but when you guys say take the dump tube off the wastegate, does that mean that the exhaust gases are released in the atmosphere without going through the muffler?? I was under the impression that only the BOV would dump off to the atmosphere if you chose to set it up that way since it is only dumping clean air NOT exhaust gases. So this leads me to another question which is, the f-max and hotshot kits, the piping that these kits come with, are they setup to dump the exhaust gases straight to the atmosphere when the wastegate opens, or do they route the gases around the turbine and into where I would like them to go (the muffler)??? Thank you in advance,

-saaby

·
Registered
448 Posts
hehehehehhehehehe... very nice Jay...

I guess I'd prefer it quiet, but... loud ain't so bad =) I'll have it welded up tomorrow!

</font>
Hey since you got the welder out...you know what I'm doing? I'm returning it into the DP around the middle of the oil pan (You'll see the curve in the DP) and I'm having a flange welded into the dump tube like a little test pipe. This way I can unbolt it, and cap the end that goes into the DP. Voila! Take it off if I want it divorced and bolt it back up for nice and quiet.

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hehehehehhehehehe... very nice Jay...

I guess I'd prefer it quiet, but... loud ain't so bad =) I'll have it welded up tomorrow!

------------------
Brian
AIM: pdxs2000
91 se-r (fmax stg2 @ 1.1 bar)
00 s2000

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
I guess the more boost you make the louder it is. When I turn the boost down to 12psi my HKS waste gate is kinda loud, But when it's up to 16psi it a way loud, have to drive slow. Its funny when u jump on the gas an someones next to you on the FWY, They kinda jump with that look like what the hell was that.

------------------

Do you smell what the talon is cooking?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts