SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have problems with chattering sounds coming from the engine when letting off on the gas? The chattering sound similar to a valve clicking. The clicking goes away after I gas it or if at idle. Do I need to adjust anything other than the obvious (valve adjustment).... Thanks

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
how loud is it? where exactally is it coming from?

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clicking sounds aren't that loud. Since the valves are hydrolic, can I use 10w-30 oil help stop the clicking. I have 63000 miles on the engine. Everything seems to be okay (ie motor mounts, gaskets, etc...).

G

·
Sounds a lot like a problem I used to have with an Isuzu pickup I had. It had to do with EGR solenoids. It only happened when I let off the gas. Hope that helps. Should be covered under warranty.

G

·
Sorry, I should have expounded a bit more. I don't mean to insult your intelligence - you guys probably know a lot more about cars than I do. The EGR solenoid is for exhaust gas control, an emissions control scheme. I really don't know if they ever go bad, but maybe your O2 sensor or something is bad. Your symptoms describe exactly what I was experiencing with my pickup. I too thought it was valve tapping. It sounded exactly the same. Drove me nuts.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, they can go bad, but you can unclog them. w/ carb cleaner and other crap. it could be a solinoid sticking though.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.