SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have problems with chattering sounds coming from the engine when letting off on the gas? The chattering sound similar to a valve clicking. The clicking goes away after I gas it or if at idle. Do I need to adjust anything other than the obvious (valve adjustment).... Thanks

·
_______
3,640 Posts
You don't need to adjust the valves in the SR20DE they have Hydrolic valve lash adjusters. What kind of mods do you have?

Motor mounts going? Exhaust leak?

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
how loud is it? where exactally is it coming from?

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clicking sounds aren't that loud. Since the valves are hydrolic, can I use 10w-30 oil help stop the clicking. I have 63000 miles on the engine. Everything seems to be okay (ie motor mounts, gaskets, etc...).

G

·
Sounds a lot like a problem I used to have with an Isuzu pickup I had. It had to do with EGR solenoids. It only happened when I let off the gas. Hope that helps. Should be covered under warranty.

G

·
Sorry, I should have expounded a bit more. I don't mean to insult your intelligence - you guys probably know a lot more about cars than I do. The EGR solenoid is for exhaust gas control, an emissions control scheme. I really don't know if they ever go bad, but maybe your O2 sensor or something is bad. Your symptoms describe exactly what I was experiencing with my pickup. I too thought it was valve tapping. It sounded exactly the same. Drove me nuts.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, they can go bad, but you can unclog them. w/ carb cleaner and other crap. it could be a solinoid sticking though.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts