SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Yesterday my NX was running a little rough, which was odd. It sounded like it was missing, and was not accelerating like it usually does. felt like a civic dx.
anyway, i took out the plugs to inspect them because it sounded like it was backfiring/missing. I took the plugs out, cleaned them, reinstalled them, and she fired up and sounded better, no missing, and runs like she used to. I noticed something weird about the plugs, they are relatively new, have had them in for about 3500 miles, and they all of reddish streaks on the wire side of the plug, being relatively tan/brown on plug 1, a little darker on cyl. #2's plug, and gets worse with 3 and 4...the car is running fine, but what's up with these plugs and red streaks?

my wires have not been changed since i bought the car, i haven't had the cash flow...could it be that i need new wires? is this a prediction of future engine problems? what do these marks signify?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
1st thing: I have noticed these bands. I think its heat related, but I have no proof. I don't notice a major problem with them.

2nd thing: get rid of those Bosch Platinums and get some NGKs.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but those are like $11 a peice, aren't they? can't afford **** right now, have a lot of bills and tickets to pay..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
**** BRO!!

Theres your problem right under your nose!!
Bosch PLatinums.
I had the same thing happen to mine when I first bought my SE-R. I was told its normal. But check this out. I went out and bought the $11 NGK plats and HOLY MOLY!!! BIg difference!!! I put this on my baby mamma, Your car will run smoother, idle nicer, and hit redline alot faster and smoother!! Throw them bosches away!! Come and see what you've been missing!!! Its worth $44 plus tax.

DONT JINX YOURSELF!!!

------------------

http://94_redse-r.tripod.com/FASTSER/

[This message has been edited by SmoothDaddyFig (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
BKR6Es...$10/set or less, will last 30K miles and be much better for your engine. Stick with NGKs to minimize driveability problems.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
a slow [email protected] on JWT 50 shot
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
qUOTE:
I don't know what NGKs you guys are buying, but I get the V-sparks from Advance Auto in one heat range colder than stock for ~$2 each.

------------------------------------------

I got my PLatinum plugs from the stealership!
I stuck with the stock plugs. I didnt go one heat range colder. It works for me.

------------------

http://94_redse-r.tripod.com/FASTSER/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow...you guys are getting jipped somewhere. I'm running NGK BPR7ES in my car ('94 GST) and I picked a set up for $2.99/ea this weekend.

------------------
-Shawn H
'95 Nissan 200 SX-SE
'94 Mitsu GS-T w/leather :)

Down girl....down!...hehehe

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my car is running real good, but i'm gonna buy NGK's as soon as i can because of what you guys say.

but, still...what are the red streaks? what do they signify?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Wow this is weird. I just put brand new NGK Platinums in my car last week. They were $11 each from my local Nissan dealer. My old ones were toast, 77,000 miles on them, all original. I didn't notice anything really except the car runs a bit smoother, which is good.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

P

·
0 Posts
i use Champion Golds, i was running the NGK equilivent with the Y gap but the Golds are a much better plug for my car, i am not too fussed about using platinums as i get my plugs really cheap and i dont mind changing them, you only really need to use platinums in engines like the RB26 where individual coil packs make it a big job that you only ever want to do once.
chris

------------------
primeras its where its at.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">$44 plus tax.</font>
I don't know what NGKs you guys are buying, but I get the V-sparks from Advance Auto in one heat range colder than stock for ~$2 each.

I personally have had problems with Bosch Platinums. If you look at the plug, you'll see the electrode is flush with the ceramic insulator. Despite what they claim, the platinum electrode does wear. This creates a hole, since the ceramic insulation does not wear. Now, the spark has to jump out of a hole. Sparks like sharp surfaces, not holes. This was the problem with past stumbling, missing, and gerneral running-like-**** problems with my Eclipse. Pulled the Platinums after less than a year, installed NGKs, problem solved.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
the same thing happend when I ran nitrous. there is some kind of seal that breaks and you loose compression and get some blowby. get some ngks and you should not have that problem.

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
The plugs I think everyone is talking about that are a bit pricey are the ones that came in the car as oem stock platinum NGK's. There are three heat ranges that you can buy for the SR20's. They are:

PFR5B-11, PFR6B-11, or PFR7B-11

And the local Advance Auto sells those for about $11 a piece as well as most dealerships. You can get them online at Courtesy Nissan , etc. for around $7.99 a piece.

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts