SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just thought you guys might be able to help me...I bought a 93 SE-R about two months ago, and it seems like all I've been doing is replacing parts. I tried to clean out my throttle body, and, from what I understand, I crudded up my O2 sensor and my Catalytic by spraying down the throttle body and scrubbing it with the engine running.. Has anyone had problems with this procedure also? I've changed plugs, wires, and the O2 sensor(looked like it was overdue for a change, anyway
...Does anyone think my cat has been hosed because of this "cleaning"-The car seems to run strong, but, like I said, I picked this up used at a place where it was sitting in storage for like 6 months, so I have no clue how strong these engines are supposed to run anyway....This being my first SR20DE and all(last car was a Probe GT)

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Well, it was wise to replace the O2 sensor. With a new sensor, plugs, wires, and an ultra clean throttle body (you did clean it with a toothbrush and cleaner, right? thoroughly?) you should be in super shape. Personally, I'd lose the CAT if you can get away with it like those of us in Alabama! I did this procedure with mine and the aforementioned and mine runs AWESOME.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is not that much of an advantage to removing the cat. the primeria's in the BTCC still use the factory cat.

MarC

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Does anyone think my cat has been hosed because of this "cleaning"
To check your cat,just unbolt it(you'll probably need to spray them liberaly with penetrating oil),and check the core. You should be able to see light through it. also the "mesh" pattern should not be melted at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I did change the oil-also the fuel filter, PCV valve and even the headlights(xenon's are nice
-However, I think I would have a VERY tough time unbolting the cat-The flanges and the bolts holding them on look like they've been welded together(from all the rust)!!! So, it seems as though the only alternative is to have someone cut it off with a high speed wheel or something. BTW, anyone have any comments on the Random Technology Catalytic converter? I've heard alot of good things about this product. I'm really hesitant to "hog out" the Cat because here in MA, they're adopting CA emissions, which means at some point, they will have "portable" smog machines

·
Registered
858 Posts
well what exactly is wrong with the car? I know that after 100,000 miles depending on where you live, the cat can get stuffed. but the after market cats help also even better, get the after market performance cat as big or as fat as you can fit in the spot ,less back pressure resistance!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, redman, the car was stumbling, gas mileage was terrible(19-22mpg on the hwy!!), and there was a rotten smell eminating from the exhaust-which I had assumed was the cat. Now, after changing the O2 sensor, the car drives better and the mileage has improved, no smell(yet), but I can't get out of my head "what if the cat's jammed?" I have to find a) a place with stainless hardware and gaskets for the cat and b) a place where I can work on it. I really want to know if the core's warped or jammed....It still doesn't seem to be driving 100%

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my advise would be change the spark plug wires,and if the cat was stopped up you would know it,it would run very poorly and posible be glowing red yes like a red light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts